The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
gigamanx

Perfecting doors

While I was doing some more shake down driving and basically enjoying the truck, I started thinking of what to tackle next.

Both my doors have issues I need to resolve. The drivers side closes and latches, but there is a gap that I am not sure how to fix. I was wondering what adjustment locations there are for the hinges. I understand the ability to twist the top or bottom of the door. I almost feel like this needs a shim:

When I push on the door it lines up perfectly.

When I let it go and while driving, there is a big ole gap like maybe 1/2". Almost sounds like the door isn't latched but it is

I'd like to work on both my doors being just perfect. Should I just go and get new hinges and door hardware? Or try and fix what I have? Is there such thing as a shim for the door? What is the chance the hinges are bent outward some?

Aside from those issues, I have a couple I know how to fix. Drivers side window won't go down so it needs a new arm. Looks like the P.O. broke it off somehow. Passenger side window is perfect, but the outside door handle won't open the door. Seems to turn the latch enough, but nothing happens. Inside handle opens the door just fine.

Good times!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
GreasyLikeaBurger

Re: Perfecting doors

As I remember it. The door hinges really only adjust the gaps around the edge of the door, if they are in good shape. Your door latch and striker are the ones that adjust how tight the door sits into the body. The "receiver" portion on the door jamb should be able to moved inboard/outboard to adjust door tightness.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

^^^ i agree^^^...adjust the latches

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
joedoh

try lubricating the latch, I had a door that looked to sit open and it was only if I slammed the living hell out of it that it hit that second position and closed all the way. I am not saying this is it, just what worked for me. lubricating the latch allowed it to close so much easier and better.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

also do you have new door seals? that has been a issue before with doors not closing properly

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #6
mr48chev

Is the striker on the door in good shape and is the latch it's self in good shape? You can usually adjust the striker in some but if either piece is worn significantly it won't hold adjustment.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
gigamanx

Thanks guys. The striker looks ok. I'm wondering if I'm not getting to the second position. The weather stripping is actually old....REALLY old. So bad that if I bump it, chunks crack off. I guess as an initial test, I could just remove it all then try and close the door. If I can close the door correctly, the issue is probably weather stripping.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the hardware to post here just in case I can't see something that you all can. Passenger side works fine, so I could also use that to compare.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #8
jweb

I had the same problem with my doors and here's how I fixed them.

First: Rebuild the hinges or send them to someone who can, like this:
http://drjsrestorationrx.com/
Do not buy aftermarket hinges.

Second: Install door seals. I had to use a smaller seal than the "stock style" most places sell. I used this: https://www.metrommp.com/index.cfm?f...20Side%20Seals

Third: You may need to bend the hinges to perfect the fit. I know someone on this forum had sent me a how to. I believe it was similar to this thread, post #17:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=578310

It's also possible you have a sprung hinge caused by someone opening the door too far.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #9
dsraven

listen to jweb. hinges and latches first
my buddy has a 54, he tried the lmc rubber seals and they were so hard you couldn't close the door to the second latch position. he removed that and went with the softseal rubber. waaay better.
get the hinges and latches good
adjust the door to fit well without any rubber
drill and pin the doors/hinges
remove the doors
install the rubber
if you get the doors right but need to remove them to install the rubber, simply drill a 1/8 hole through the door and hinges. then when you go to re-assemble the door to the truck it is as easy as getting the pin holes to line up then tightening the bolts.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
listen to jweb. hinges and latches first
my buddy has a 54, he tried the lmc rubber seals and they were so hard you couldn't close the door to the second latch position. he removed that and went with the softseal rubber. waaay better.
get the hinges and latches good
adjust the door to fit well without any rubber
drill and pin the doors/hinges
remove the doors
install the rubber
if you get the doors right but need to remove them to install the rubber, simply drill a 1/8 hole through the door and hinges. then when you go to re-assemble the door to the truck it is as easy as getting the pin holes to line up then tightening the bolts.
Thanks. I'm going to order new strike plates just because they are a cheap thing to get out of the way. Didn't realize door hinges were so expensive, so it looks like I may try bending them inward a little to get the door to sit flush. In hindsight, I wish I had a picture of when I got the truck to make sure it was like that before I took it all apart. At least then I would know its not because I twisted the cab somehow when building the S10 mounts.

The gap is pretty consistent all the way down though which lends me to believe its not a misalignment problem as much as it may be bent hinges.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
gigamanx

Closing this thread with my results

Problem #1: Drivers side door gap.
Solution: A new latch assembly fixed it. The curved ridge piece inside the latch had worn down over years of use. Fascinating how these things actually work. Getting the old latch and screws out wasn't fun, but I'm glad its done. Picture below is the section that was worn out. When the door closes, the ratchet action doesn't hold so that let the door pop out the 1/2" or so.

Problem #2: Drivers side window won't go down
Solution: A new window regulator went in and went nicely. Lesson learned, take out the 4 clutch bolts and replace them with machine screws. I spent an hour trying to get the window back in with the track still attached to the bottom of the window frame. The right way, is to install the track into the two rollers of the regulator, then insert the window. Line up the holes and install the machine screws. So much easier!

Problem #3: Passenger door won't open from the outside
Solution: Mostly, I'm an idiot. Turns out there is a setting with the inside door handle where it locks the latch. I replaced the door latch because the inner door handle was falling into that position after a few bumps down the road.

Last edited by gigamanx; 04-09-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
MARTINSR

Good stuff!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
andycg

Thanks for sharing this. I also have similar problem with Driver side latch. Does your aftermarket work well after regular use? Which brand is it? Thanks again 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Closing this thread with my results

Problem #1: Drivers side door gap.
Solution: A new latch assembly fixed it. The curved ridge piece inside the latch had worn down over years of use. Fascinating how these things actually work. Getting the old latch and screws out wasn't fun, but I'm glad its done. Picture below is the section that was worn out. When the door closes, the ratchet action doesn't hold so that let the door pop out the 1/2" or so.

Problem #2: Drivers side window won't go down
Solution: A new window regulator went in and went nicely. Lesson learned, take out the 4 clutch bolts and replace them with machine screws. I spent an hour trying to get the window back in with the track still attached to the bottom of the window frame. The right way, is to install the track into the two rollers of the regulator, then insert the window. Line up the holes and install the machine screws. So much easier!

Problem #3: Passenger door won't open from the outside
Solution: Mostly, I'm an idiot. Turns out there is a setting with the inside door handle where it locks the latch. I replaced the door latch because the inner door handle was falling into that position after a few bumps down the road.
andycg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycg View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I also have similar problem with Driver side latch. Does your aftermarket work well after regular use? Which brand is it? Thanks again ��
Andy,

Mine is working well now on the drivers side. The part came from here:
https://www.classicparts.com/1947-51...ctinfo/18-522/

I probably would not buy this brand again, however. I have issues on both driver and passenger sides. The driver side, I had to bend parts that were sticking so they wouldn't stick. I had to spray dry silicon spray all through it to get things moving properly as there was a lot of binding going on between coated parts. On the passenger side, I'm still working on the ratchet not holding closed, so the door seems shut until I start hitting some bumps in the road and it almost works itself loose. Just seems like the latches are made cheaply with QC problems.

After regular use, the drivers side is now great. I can just nudge the door closed and it latches. If I were to do it again, I'd remove the stock latches all together. The whole design of them just isn't that great to modern standards (rotary claw style).

Last edited by gigamanx; 09-12-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
gigamanx

Also a pro-tip for anyone getting these latches out....I found this tool to be invaluable for all these stuck and rusted screws in our trucks. Worth its weight in gold for the toolbox!

ARES 70006
https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70006-Re...ewdriver&psc=1

Old 09-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
MARTINSR

And if you have a compressor, this is THE tool, a butterfly impact.

The reason being you can go forward and back in a split section turning it in and out, that REALLY gets funky bolts out. And the tool is good for just every day working too, I have one at work and at home and they both get used about every day at work and most every day I am during bolts at home.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #17
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
the door seems shut until I start hitting some bumps in the road and it almost works itself loose.
I did a 47 GMC and it had this problem, it was the outside handle. it had a broken return spring (the one that holds it "up") and hitting bumps bounced the handle and opened the door. it was really bad when there was a passenger with their arm on the door.

edit: looks like this could be your problem too. try using a bungee cord to hold the handle up and go for a drive

20180124_162616 by giga manx, on Flickr

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 09-12-2018 at 01:01 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote