The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
CousinTone

CaptianFab - I need your advice, please

Hi CaptainFab, i'm working on a 64 C20 that has a 292 engine. I"m going through the process of easing the ride and adapting to the height I would like by swapping out the suspension to C10 items. It does NOT have Power Steering. I've got the pump and I think correct mounting bracket or at least one that will work fine. I"m looking to you for my choice in steering gear boxes. I'll need to buy a new one, the ones here that come into the Pick-A-Part are gone day one and I have to work, unfortunately. I went yesterday, it was hot and I looked at over 20 Chevy trucks, each that had the box outside the frame, each was already gone. What do you suggest I buy as my steering gear. I've learned some by surfing the parts stores and see there are some that take 3 or 3 1/2 turn for stop to stop and others that take 4. I"m in the lazy 3 group. What wisdom can you provide as to what box to choose and will bolt onto your beautiful adapter plate. Let me know, I appreciate you taking the time to read this, if you made it this far and anything you can pass on. Thank you. Tony AKA CousinTone
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: CaptianFab - I need your advice, please

The '68-'86 C series and '87-'91 R series steering boxes are all interchangeable. The '68-'79 steering boxes will have SAE style fittings. This is the range to look at if your pump has SAE style of fittings. As for the different ratios, I do not know of any specific applications or ways to ID one from another aside from actually turning it and checking the turns lock to lock. I believe Red Head Steering as well as AGR can set you up with a specific ratio if you want to go that route. CPP, POL also have quick ratio steering boxes.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:45 AM   #3
CousinTone

Thanks CaptainFab. I was playing hookey today and visited a pick a part I haven't visited before and I did get what I think i need for the swap, i'm open to more advice.

I ran into a 1981 C20 (I know, metric) and the steering was untouched. I got the sway bar (about 1" maybe more thick), steering gear box, the intermediate shaft for the steering column (it's a double D and I know mine is round, will need to weld up the final config) and I also took the pitman arm, not sure that it will work. I left the steering alone, should I go back and get it? I can do that and it will only be about $50 total. I know we have the metric/imperial mismatch on the pump and gearbox. How do I address that...newer pump? I'm sure your plate will adapt to the gearbox. I grabbed it since it was worth a try and I just need some advice on how to get it all together. Reading all these threads on steering gears...pitman this and rag joints that has me crosseyed and with a new migraine.

I appreciate any and all advice from our community and CaptainFab, I am happy to finally need your mounting plate (shows a bit of progress), please PM me with the details.

Thank you all. Tony "V" in OC
Old 04-11-2018, 01:23 AM   #4
AcampoDave

Pardon my interruption, but I'd like to keep this going just a bit more as I too have been curious about quick ratio boxes. I have heard they can be a bit "touchy" with regard to keeping the vehicle between the lines on the freeway because the minor corrections needed to maintain a straight path are more exaggerated due to the greater effect on the front wheels. I was hoping someone could give a first hand account of what it's like to drive with quick ratio steering.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:15 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have never put power steering on a '63-'66 C20 with drum brakes. I've always upgraded to discs at the same time. With that said, assuming that the C20 would be similar to a C10, I don't think the '81 steering linkage would work on your '64 C20 while keeping drum brakes.

As for the SAE/Metric fitting situation that are 3 ways to solve that. One is to purchase line adapters. Second is to swap the pressure fitting in the back of the pump with the correct Metric fitting. Be careful when doing so as there is a spring behind the fitting. Third is to have a custom hose made at a hydraulics shop with the appropriate fittings on each end.

I will send you a PM with ordering and payment info.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:30 AM   #6
CousinTone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I have never put power steering on a '63-'66 C20 with drum brakes. I've always upgraded to discs at the same time. With that said, assuming that the C20 would be similar to a C10, I don't think the '81 steering linkage would work on your '64 C20 while keeping drum brakes.

As for the SAE/Metric fitting situation that are 3 ways to solve that. One is to purchase line adapters. Second is to swap the pressure fitting in the back of the pump with the correct Metric fitting. Be careful when doing so as there is a spring behind the fitting. Third is to have a custom hose made at a hydraulics shop with the appropriate fittings on each end.

I will send you a PM with ordering and payment info.
I did not mention this, but I am upgrading to Disc. I've already gathered those parts from a 1977 but as usual out here, steering gear and pitman arm were already gone. So I harvested a arms spindles, calipers the whole enchilada. I'm going to start looking for a power brake booster and master cylinder unit that is smaller (relatively) than a lot I've seen. I'm sure your mount will adapt any booster, correct? that will be next weekend depending on pick-a-part's cooperation with me. i'll order the brake adapter then.

Thanks again, i'll be going from turning and turning to a 3 turn, stop to stop, can't wait. I appreciate your wisdom.