The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #126
Spf79

Re: 1972 Build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
The tail gate hinges can be replated as assembled no sweat. I had mine clear zinc plated and these will be (are) painted to match the body like GM did. I had a NOS set powder coated orange and I used these on my k20.

My pop rivet gun is a cheapie from Home Depot.
Excellent, thank you for the information. I did not want to disassemble those anyway.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #127
Spf79

Picked up my motor today. Need to install the oil pump, pan and the rest of the covers... and intake. Hope to get the drive train in before New Years.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #128
tomtuna1978

Nice build bro. Just found it. Subscribed
tomtuna1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #129
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtuna1978 View Post
Nice build bro. Just found it. Subscribed
Thank you sir!
Glad to have you.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:39 AM   #130
Spf79

Timing cover showed up today. Yes!
Still trying to figure out what kind of valve covers I want to go with. I'm having a hard time.

Any suggestions....?
I was thinking old school M/T covers in black.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #131
simicrintz

Old school MT's would look very nice I would think. Waddya gonna do with the timing chain cover? Paint or leave "gold"?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #132
PSYCHO_OUTLAW

crazy how clean your gargage is during this whole build... props to you sir!!!!
PSYCHO_OUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #133
Radiatta_71

Nice to see another 1st Gen in the 'couv. Nice build
Radiatta_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #134
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Old school MT's would look very nice I would think. Waddya gonna do with the timing chain cover? Paint or leave "gold"?
Thank you for the feedback!

Yeah, it is either the M/T's or the gloss black chevy script. Leaning M/T's... I like the old school touch the M/T valve covers bring. I dont think I can do the T-handle hold downs though... I went with the slotted mags for that vibe as well. My old man told me that I need a big chrome barefoot gas pedal and a Mr. Horsepower sticker for my wing window. Lol. He is the same guy that put a 427 in a 55 chevy truck without any frame modifications. I remember him welding a chain to the frame and bolting it to the block instead of replacing the torn motor mount. That truck also had that sticker in the wing window. Childhood memories!

Leaving it gold. Just something different. I'm suprised how much more gold the cover is than the oil pan. Milodon cover vs weiand pan. I asked the machine shop to put the brass freeze plugs in and not paint the block. Of course they put the silver ones in and painted it. The builder was super nice, he was just trying to be helpful since I told him I was painting the block black.

A lot of the bolts and little brackets in the suspension are the same zinc gold color. It started with the Offroad design heavy duty shackles arriving with that plating. I thought it was a nice touch against the black powder coat and paint. The Header and intake bolts will be the same color.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #135
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO_OUTLAW View Post
crazy how clean your gargage is during this whole build... props to you sir!!!!
Lol, thanks buddy! I work hard on that.

It is an unspoken agreement with the wife. The last time I did something like this the kids tracked red dust from the aluminum polish into the house. It was like flour that gets into everything. I had just finished all of the hard wood floors in the house with some natural looking "fake hand scraped" 3/4" dark oak. When the red dust gets into all of the "natural cracks and knots" momma loses her friggin mind. I spent a day on my hands and knees with acetone and Q-tips getting the stuff out of the cracks. Never again.

Plus I just remodeled the garage summer 2016, paint, drywall and concrete floor refinish. It is my zen area. Here is a pick from when I was doing the jeep.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2017, 12:17 AM   #136
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiatta_71 View Post
Nice to see another 1st Gen in the 'couv. Nice build
Right on buddy! Where are you at? I'm over by 164th and Cascade park drive.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #137
simicrintz

I like the contrast of the timing cover and now see that it is not a stand alone and that you have other parts the same color. Sounds very well thought out!

I have the T handle hold downs on mine (Block is red, valve covers are polished aluminum-I'd post pics but they always turn sideways for some reason!). Some old school throwbacks are good (for me!), but maybe that is because I am old!

Funny about your Dad and the BBC. I used to put SBC engines in my Datsun trucks without any frame or suspension upgrades; they didn't last long!

Really enjoy watching your progress; that is gonna be a beautiful rig!
Old 12-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #138
Radiatta_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spf79 View Post
Right on buddy! Where are you at? I'm over by 164th and Cascade park drive.
I'm downtown near main street
Radiatta_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #139
Spf79

Quote:
I like the contrast of the timing cover and now see that it is not a stand alone and that you have other parts the same color. Sounds very well thought out!

I have the T handle hold downs on mine (Block is red, valve covers are polished aluminum-I'd post pics but they always turn sideways for some reason!). Some old school throwbacks are good (for me!), but maybe that is because I am old!

Funny about your Dad and the BBC. I used to put SBC engines in my Datsun trucks without any frame or suspension upgrades; they didn't last long!

Really enjoy watching your progress; that is gonna be a beautiful rig!
Thanks buddy!
That is the exact reason those T handle hold downs drive me nuts. I am a bit OCD. Post the pics, I gave up on the pics being right side up. Lol, you probably noticed.

The Datsun/sbc combo sounds like fun!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #140
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiatta_71 View Post
I'm downtown near main street
Awesome!
You have a driver or a project?

Let me know if you are looking for any parts. I will probably have extra stuff I need to offload as I move forward.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #141
simicrintz

I have been able to keep them pretty straight (I will admit to suffering from OCD as well!) but have thought about how I will feel if they start to get crooked! I'll attach a few pics and just deal with the crooked nature as it appears you have as well....

Lots of power and low weight made the Datsun's a blast to drive. Built one as more of a street version (wide tires on back and skinny up front; it was the 80's after all!) and one as a lifted truck with 31's. Both were fun but the front ends and rear ends did not like the power or the weight!
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #142
Spf79

Quote:
I have been able to keep them pretty straight (I will admit to suffering from OCD as well!) but have thought about how I will feel if they start to get crooked! I'll attach a few pics and just deal with the crooked nature as it appears you have as well....

Lots of power and low weight made the Datsun's a blast to drive. Built one as more of a street version (wide tires on back and skinny up front; it was the 80's after all!) and one as a lifted truck with 31's. Both were fun but the front ends and rear ends did not like the power or the weight!
Looks amazing! I like the ram horns, I almost ran with those. Still might if these headers don't fit.
I bet the Datsun was like a mini dragster!! I knew a guy that had a 4wd chevy luv with a sbc in it... lol, it broke every time he drove it.
I read one of your posts on another thread, did you say you have a jeepster?
I was looking at a Jeepster bull nose basket case before I ran across my current project. I have no regrets, but I do like the Jeepsters.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #143
simicrintz

Quote:
Looks amazing! I like the ram horns, I almost ran with those. Still might if these headers don't fit.
I bet the Datsun was like a mini dragster!! I knew a guy that had a 4wd chevy luv with a sbc in it... lol, it broke every time he drove it.
I read one of your posts on another thread, did you say you have a jeepster?
I was looking at a Jeepster bull nose basket case before I ran across my current project. I have no regrets, but I do like the Jeepsters.
Thank you! The ram horns were ceramic coated so they should stay nice looking. I've ran headers before (have them on my Jeepster) but not sure they really add much so will stay with stock manifolds here.

Those little trucks were just not build for the weight or power or weight of the non stock engines But you're right; it was a blast to drive!

You are better off with the Blazer than a Jeepster, especially when it comes to parts. Then there is the "a bull nose isn't a real Jeepster" banter that you would have had to put up with if you had gone that route! They are cool rigs though; I'll attach a pic (probably crooked!) of mine (and if that is not allowed on the board, will a mod please remove or let me know?).
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #144
Spf79

Quote:
Thank you! The ram horns were ceramic coated so they should stay nice looking. I've ran headers before (have them on my Jeepster) but not sure they really add much so will stay with stock manifolds here.

Those little trucks were just not build for the weight or power or weight of the non stock engines But you're right; it was a blast to drive!

You are better off with the Blazer than a Jeepster, especially when it comes to parts. Then there is the "a bull nose isn't a real Jeepster" banter that you would have had to put up with if you had gone that route! They are cool rigs though; I'll attach a pic (probably crooked!) of mine (and if that is not allowed on the board, will a mod please remove or let me know?).
Your Jeepster is awesome!!!
I was not a huge fan of the bull nose, so I feel I lucked out picking up my blazer.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #145
simicrintz

Quote:
Your Jeepster is awesome!!!
I was not a huge fan of the bull nose, so I feel I lucked out picking up my blazer.
Thank you, sir! It is a fun little rig and I enjoy it. Some days the Blazer is fun to hop in to (Mama and I grabbed our 3 nieces and nephews the other night and took them in it to go look at Christmas lights) and other days the Jeepster is the right rig to grab (I like taking that out to the beach to grab lunch and run up and down the coastline).

In the end, I believe that you did better by grabbing the Blazer as well!
Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #146
bbrriiaann1973

Do you any milky way bars left?
bbrriiaann1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #147
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
Do you any milky way bars left?
... no (sad face)
Box came with the rig, it made me laugh so I kept parts in it.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #148
bbrriiaann1973

I thought that was funny
bbrriiaann1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #149
Spf79

Got some painting done today.

I had more time into the preparation of the garage with everything getting a drop cloth lol.

The motor recieved a nice coat of gloss black, and the gas tank got a nice coat of silver hammered metal.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2017, 05:55 PM   #150
Spf79

Evapo rust.

I can't say how impressed I am with this stuff. I am cleaning a ton of bolts and pieces that I want to reuse.

It did a great job on my door screws and ferrells, not to mention my floor vent brackets and arms.

I have been picking it up at harbor freight, $25 a gallon I think, and you can reuse it somewhat... pretty good bang for the buck.

The bolt "smoke ring" made me smile... not sure what came off of that bolt, but I am sure it was bad.
Attached Images