The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
8man

AD cab weight

As the title says, does anyone know what the cab weighs? I'm building a dolly and was thinking about how much weight it should handle.

Thanks.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: AD cab weight

I don't have the number for you, but it isn't much. Here is a cart I made with a chunk of an old frame and wheels from Harbor Freight. I use the trailer dolly from Harbor Freight to roll it around. I ended up welding the jack stands to the cart. DAMN I am glad I did this. I would have never done it if I hadn't seen so many guys on this forum with carts, it makes things sooo much easier.

I was lucky to have a junk frame available to cut up. That gave me JUST what I needed, it's bolted down on the factory mounts keeping it all straight as I cut and weld it up. It will now bolt right on the stock frame without an issue.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
AZbent

Sorry no pictures. I made my dolly out of a couple of 2x6 and some inflatible casters from HF. If I keep the tires aired up, then I can move it around by myself with no problems. I drag it out of the garage every now and then just to do a good cleaning.
AZbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
mr48chev

I'm going to say well under 400 lbs for the bare cab. I've manhandle them into the back of my pickup or a pickup box trailer by myself before. Can't do that anymore but did it quite often when I was in my 30's and 40's.
I've got a slightly longer section of frame as a dolly with wagon wheels on one end and casters on the other. That trailer dolly trick is a great idea. My frame section came from a hacked up burb frame that someone had taken front suspension parts off with a torch.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
GreasyLikeaBurger

Over on the stovebolt site, they have a DIY dolly made from an old wood pallet. Easy to come buy and usually free. Just throw some casters on it and your good to go.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I was lucky to have a junk frame available to cut up. That gave me JUST what I needed, it's bolted down on the factory mounts keeping it all straight as I cut and weld it up. It will now bolt right on the stock frame without an issue.

Brian
Serves not only as a dolly, but also a jig - brilliant!
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
47 Fasttoys

I would guess 315# bare cab. Not a bad idea to build your dolly at final ride height. It helps if you want to set up engine or fender ride height.
Rob
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I don't have the number for you, but it isn't much. Here is a cart I made with a chunk of an old frame and wheels from Harbor Freight. I use the trailer dolly from Harbor Freight to roll it around. I ended up welding the jack stands to the cart. DAMN I am glad I did this. I would have never done it if I hadn't seen so many guys on this forum with carts, it makes things sooo much easier.

Brian
Hehe, that cart looks like its heavier than the cab MARTINSR

I used 2x4s and four 3" castor wheels from HF. Had no problems with the weight of the cab

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
8man

I decided to build a dolly I can use on other vehicles. I have a buddy who has a 64 Impala with the front clip on it, they lifted the body complete with interior off the chassis to do work. I saw it and decided to build a dolly that will handle just about anything.

I found this design on line and with the right size steel tube, I can expand it or contract it to fit whatever vehicle I want.

IMG_1794 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Then, I bought some more steel so I can flip it up on one side using some outriggers. When I get it built I'll post some pics.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
8man

Ok, it's kind of a gorilla for a body dolly, but it should let me roll the cab onto the back, front or either side by turning the cab on the dolly. Plus, it will expand to handle any car body I want to put on it, not sure it will "lay over on the back" for other cars, but it works for the 2 AD cabs I have.

First some fabrication.
IMG_1802 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

A little more fabrication and the corners are ready
IMG_1807 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Here it is set up for the 48 cab.
IMG_1820 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Here it is under one of the cabs ready for set up.
IMG_1822 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Paint will have to wait because I want to get started on this cab.
IMG_1824 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Here it is with the cab on it.
IMG_1825 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

It rolls great, but it does take 2 people or an engine hoist or gantry crane to roll it over, but it does work as hoped.

Since it expands/contracts in all directions, I can turn the cab on it so I can lay it over in any direction. Should make working on the sheet metal easier. That rust removal starts next.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
mr48chev

Lots of ideas that all work. If I was doing a lot of welding on the cab and especially cab floor I'd want metal rather than wood though. Wood is great for storage and being able to move the cab around the shop but I'm always afraid of fires.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote