The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2002, 09:43 AM   #1
Brian76GMC

Looking for info/owners of special edition trucks

Howdy truck nuts. Im so glad to have found this site!!!!! I have taken an interest in the special edition trucks GM offered in the '70's. I have a 1976 "Spirit of 76" GMC and just recently aquired a 1976 Indy Pace Truck, complete with an eagle decal on the hood and down both sides of the truck.
The "spirit" truck is blue and white with the chrome mouldings. The interior is what makes it unique. It has a red,white and blue bench seat, blue carpet, white door panels with woodgrain trim and small "Spirit of 76" emblems on them. The dash pad is blue with woodgrain as well. I have started a resto on this truck. The cab was replaced with a rust free western unit, all new GM front sheetmetal and trim. The interior is not put back in yet. I just recently found a dash pad and Im still wondering what to do with the worn/faded door trim panels. My truck is a 2 wd half ton. I have seen a 4WD drive version at Carlisle, Pa swap meet. I have not found any literature on this truck at all.
My other truck is a 1976 Indy Pace Truck. I just got this one from a guy whose brother bought it new. Its a 3/4 ton 2 WD truck. Its gray with red interior. It has a huge eagle decal on the hood and decals that run the length of each side of the truck. I recieved some literature with it. The truck is solid but the paint and decals are rough. I plan on repainting it soon and leaving the decals off. I doubt they are available and having them reproduced would probably cost a small fortune.
I have seen a Gentleman Jim truck before. It was brown and gold, highly optioned. Im not sure what year it was. I saw literature on this truck at a swap meet. Searching the web for info I came across a website about a "Beau James" truck. I had never heard of one of them before. What else is out there??? Anyone here have one of these unique trucks??

My GMC's that I sold
Brian76GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:58 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Specialty trucks

I read with alot of interest your post. I have a 1976 Chevy C10 longbed 2WD pickup which is in desperate need of restoration and i was thinking of restoring it as one of the "special edition" trucks. now you said your trucsk were GMC and i waswondering if the Spirit of 76 edition was limited to GMC or did Chevy offer a version too. In addition do you have any pictures of the trucks you have?
Ive tried searching ebay and some of their sellers for brochures and stuff relating for these trucks but so far have come up with nothing. In addition ive looked through old magazines searching for ads for the special additions and found nothing too.
I have yet to try motor trend magazine and the like for info.
Please let me know if you find any info and i will do the same
Thanks

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 11:28 AM   #3
75stepside
*Proud Member*

i have never seen a gentleman jim truck before, but have heard stories... anyone have any pics?
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
75stepside
*Proud Member*

well, i did a lil online research... and i found a couple of pics that i'll attach... i ran into a website w/ info on special edition trucks and on model year differences:

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/models.html

Attached Images

Old 11-16-2002, 01:32 PM   #5
Brian76GMC

I had a webpage with pics of the Spirit truck on AOL but I switched to a differant ISP. I havent found a place to post them on the web again. I want to scan my Indy truck brochures and post them as well. I think building a replica version would be hard. Finding a highly optioned truck, A/C, V8, AT and full instrumentation may be easy but the little things would be hard to duplicate. Exterior wise the Spirit truck looks just like the rest except the "Royal Sierra" emblems. There werent any decals that I know of. I bought it from the original owner and he said it never had any. The emblems on the door panels would be the hardest thing to find. Recovering the seat would be no problem.

My GMC's that I sold
Old 11-16-2002, 03:19 PM   #6
KIILew

Brian76GMC:

Your post is a very interesting one! If you can, keep those trucks..the various special edition models that GMC produced from 1975 onward are getting harder to find all the time!

When I was a cub scout in grade school, the father of one of the boys in my troop bought a brand new Spirit of '76 Royal Sierra GMC C15 like the one you have. It was frost white on the outside with the same distinctive interior you describe. I was very envious of it even then, back in '76. I think I have seen it around town fairly recently, though its original lustre is gone.

Incidently, the Royal Sierra Package, which was a separate option from but apparently included with the 1976 Spirit of '76 package, was actually a bundled group of the most popular options, discounted at a special price savings, packaged with the GMC Sierra Grande trim level. It was specifically intended to boost sales during the normally slow selling winter and early spring months of the year, and was offered during each model year from 1975 to 1980 (actually the package was offered in earlier years too, though not under the "Royal Sierra" name). It competed with the Ford Explorer discount option package offered on Ford pickups during those years, as well as the Dodge Prospector option groupings. The Royal Sierra packages are identical in concept and content to the Chevrolet Bonanza packages offered during the same time frames.

Nice thread, and that is a great picture of a Gentleman Jim, too!

Ken
KIILew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:53 PM   #7
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Brian,

Before you remove the decal's on the pace truck take a lot of detailed photo's of them cuz you may not ever see a set like them again and if you change your mind you can always have someone reproduced some for ya. IMO that truck will be worth alot more $$ if restored to it's original condition.

I have a friend that does that very thing he says he can reproduce any factory decal's from photos and a few key measurement's, dont know how much $$ it would run but that's what makes it a pace truck and the vin# of corse.

Have you ever contacted chevrolet customer asst. and asked about a restoration kit for either truck?? If not try that.

Also one other special edition truck that i know of is called a LONGHORNE. I belive it was offered in the 60's & 70's

Good luck

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE

Last edited by 87 STEPPER; 11-17-2002 at 05:16 PM.
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 12:43 AM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Nice truck

Real nice truck. I would think real hard about modding a rare truck. They are becoming more scarce every day.

Looking at the pic above, something I've always wondered. Why did GM think it would look better for the bottom of the bed right behind the rear wheels, to angle up to the bumper? There was a photo in I think in Chevytruck mag a long time ago. The guy changed it to more straight, like this:

I think this looks a hundred time better.

Sorry for getting off topic.

1985 Chevy C-10

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 09-02-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Removed dead link
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 01:52 AM   #9
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

I'm glad to see some traffic on this topic. I posted a very similar question about a week ago, and didn't get any responses.

I have a 1975 GMC Gentleman Jim, and a week ago, my uncle found and bought another one. We have seen a total of five and there are two more pictures on the internet. Also funny that you mention because I have been working on a GMC Special Edition truck web site for a few weeks now. It's not ready to go live yet, but I'll post here when it is.

I have a Gentleman Jim brochure and a couple Indy 500 Special Brochures and some ads from the 1980 Indy Hauler. I'd really like to see scans of the literature you have, it's really interesting to research these old trucks.

Here's a picture of my Gentleman Jim:

Anyhow, PM me if you are interested in swapping some pics of the literature. I'd love to put it up on my website.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 02:24 AM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Joe,

I am, as I type, uploading a tad over 14 megs of magazine scans to my site. I'll post a link here when done so you can drool over all these special trucks.

http://www.73-87.com/truck_mag_scans

Mike

Last edited by swervin ervin; 11-17-2002 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:07 AM   #11
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Thumbs up

Mine's not as rare but definately not common especially being a Bonanza and a Big 10 both in the same truck.

Mike thanks for the pics

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:00 AM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

Mike, glad to see you like and are adding the pics...people will love to see that kind of stuff!

Elgracho, sorry I have not gotten back to you but everything I was going to send you Mike will be uploeading to his site. I have recently recv'd some more info from Killew that was not on the CD I gave Mike...I am going to scan that stuff in next week.

In the packet I got it has 77 Indy 500 info, Gentleman Jim, Amarillo stepside, Jimmy Street Coupe, Impact 76, and an article on Amarillo/Ford 460/Lil Red Express shootout.

If anyonr is interested PM me and I will get the info to you electronically.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 12:49 PM   #13
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jeff,

send it to me and I'll put it on the site.

The link above is for the directory of the scans. It works. I will have a page of all the different links today sometime. I plan on reworking a few things while I'm at it.

Mike
Old 11-17-2002, 03:49 PM   #14
75stepside
*Proud Member*

Mike

nice images! i particulary found some humor in the "rough country" ad with the slogan "feel the ride" (of course with a picture of some female's rear-end! )

http://www.73-87.com/truck_mag_scans/RUFCNTRY.jpg
Old 11-17-2002, 08:36 PM   #15
Brian76GMC

Great Response!

Hey this is working out great so far! I will see about getting my Indy Truck brochures scanned. How do you get in touch with GM customer service?

My GMC's that I sold
Old 11-17-2002, 08:45 PM   #16
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I have a page up now for the scans.

Magazine Scans

As far as the GM Restoration Packet, here's the info.

---------------------------------

GM CUSTOMER SERVICE (Canada and the United States only) # 1-800-222-1020

GM Customer Service #s for outside the United States.
EUROPE: 61 42 602 309
MEXICO: 011 525 329 0800

GM CUSTOMER SERVICE ADDRESS

CHEVROLET
P.O. Box 33170
Detroit, Michigan 48232-5170

------------------------------------

You will need to have your VIN handy.

Mike
Old 11-17-2002, 11:09 PM   #17
bigblock73
yeller

Mike, I knew you would like the Rough Country ad!!

At least she is getting in a Chevy PU!!
Old 11-18-2002, 01:22 AM   #18
Hooter
My other Love

I don't know if my truck has a special package, it doesnt say on the option tag but....
the truck has these rare options
1977 silverado 3/4 ton camper special
power windows, power locks
two tone metallic maroon
yellow trim
orignal mag wheels
buckskin custom cloth interior
wood floor bed
trailer towing package
400 small block
cruise control
tachometer
orignal 8-track player
tranny cooler
oil bath oil filter
cargo light
mahogany woodgrain dash
chrome trim on grille (also yellow)
front and rear large sway bars
chrome rear step bumper
dual exhaust
Its one very high optioned truck
  • 77 fully loaded silverado (back in the backyard for a little while longer)
  • 1980 BMW 320i (back in the garage finally)
  • 1981 f@*d f150 4x4 (Robert red ford) tried to kill me
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike
Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com AC/DC RULES!!!
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:37 AM   #19
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Hooter afraid not. Yes you have most if not all the options but the Silverado itself is what makes it more common than the others.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #20
CHEVY383

Question Re: Looking for info/owners of special edition trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BIG10 View Post
Hooter afraid not. Yes you have most if not all the options but the Silverado itself is what makes it more common than the others.
seems to me your a fan of 79's well what do you know about the 78 GMC Desert Fox Stepside.
CHEVY383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
CHEVY383

Re: Looking for info/owners of special edition trucks

does any one here know any thing about the 78 GMC Desert Fox Stepside or any one that owns one
CHEVY383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #22
bigblock73
yeller

Re: Looking for info/owners of special edition trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVY383 View Post
does any one here know any thing about the 78 GMC Desert Fox Stepside or any one that owns one
This is all I have.

http://www.73-87.com/Special_Editions/Desert_Fox.htm

I don't think these went into production though...

Wow, this thread was dug up from the grave.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:03 PM   #23
Hooter
My other Love

I dont care it still is a nice truck
wish it was in a bit better shape. Oh well its gettin there
  • 77 fully loaded silverado (back in the backyard for a little while longer)
  • 1980 BMW 320i (back in the garage finally)
  • 1981 f@*d f150 4x4 (Robert red ford) tried to kill me
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike
Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com AC/DC RULES!!!
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 04:15 PM   #24
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

So what are all the special editions? Here are the ones I can think of:
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim
1975 GMC Beau James
1975-1980 GMC Indy 500 Special or Indy Hauler (they changed the name at some point, my 76 brochure calls it the special)
1975-19?? Royal Sierra / Bonanza (not so much special editions, but sorta)
1976 GMC Spirit of 76 (still want to see a picture!)
1977 GMC Desert Fox
1977 GMC Sarge
1976 1/2-1977 Jimmy Casa Grande / Blazer Chalet (not really a special edition per se)
1977-1981 Chevy Sport (again, not a special edition, an option package)
1978-1981 GMC Street Coupe
1979 Amarillo GT - I really wonder if this was available all over the US. The two magazine articles on the scans page show many differences between the two trucks (one says Amarrillo GT, one just says Amarillo, different wheels, cab spoiler etc) It seems like a regional truck (Texas?) to me.

Are there more?

When was the Chevrolet Outdoorsman produced? I've seen references to it, but never a picture, ad, or any other literature.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed

Last edited by ElGracho; 11-18-2002 at 07:35 PM.
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 04:41 PM   #25
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Where's KIILew? I bet he's got literature about all this stuff. I've never seen anyone who know's more about our trucks history.

Ken, you out there?