The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Darkrider

"Black Knight" 1969 GMC Custom

I wasnt planning on starting a build thread this early on but i figured i might as well so i could at least track progress. A bit of back story as explained in my intro thread: This truck was owned by the son of some friends of my parents back when i was a kid and then it disappeared for a bit then reappeared a few years later in the ownership of my cousin. Once again after a couple years it disappeared. Then reappeared a year or so ago when my buddy spike bought it. Now early last week i made a deal with him for the truck to become mine. Already it seems it may be an interesting journey with it since i cannot seem to find any way of decoding the vin number to figure out just what i have. It could be a messed up number due to the truck being a Canadian truck possibly but im not sure. Here is the vin number hopefully someone on here can figure this thing out lol

C9E1491121279

It doesnt mesh up with any of the decode guides i have checked out so far...well it does and doesnt..if i ignore the 9 between the C and E it partly comes up as a Conventional with a V8 but that is probably the incorrect way of reading this one. The Truck has been disassembled for a rebuild by spike so its just a rolling chassis with the cab and front clip sitting on it at the moment. It has a 350/350 combo in it that will be removed soon to go to spikes 49 Mercury pickup. Right now im debating between going with another 350/350 combo or a 454/400 combo. The plan for the truck is to do a mild static drop and rebuild the original drum brakes. Its mostly gonna be a blacked out street cruiser so the drums should be more then sufficient.

Here are a few pics i have of it atm.

The old school mods that were done to it include a shaved tailgate with louvers and relocated handle, lights on the B pillars, and what appears to be lacquer paint. And it also appears someone fitted the rear side markers from a newer GM Van at one point

The cab needs corners and both rocker panels redone to eliminate rust, Drivers door will be replaced with one from a Chevy i found in the local yard, just need to get back there soon and buy the door.

Tentitive mods include:

canuck motorsports lowering springs and shocks (1.5" front 3" rear)
350/350 or 454/400 engine/trans combo
Painless wiring wiring harness to replace butchered original
Possible column swap for one from a newer GM with key in column
replace original key switch in dash with second 12V lighter socket
Replace missing bench seat with one from junkyard donor
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Darkrider

Re: "Black Knight" 1969 GMC Custom

Been reading up on other low buck build threads and am def looking forward to working on this truck.

Still not sure what drivetrain to drop in though.

Just to add to the planned mods list:

Power drum brakes
remove the in cab fuel tank and replace it with a fuel cell in the back where everyone mounts the Blazer tanks.

I have a line on what i think is a 71 or 72 Chevy Long box that i will be getting the doors off of along with the brake booster for the power brake conversion. I have given some thought to converting this truck to the Chevy style front end and just keeping the GMC script hood to Id what it is. What all will i need to change to make the transition to the Chevy front?
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote