The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
DipStick82

Fuel Filter Recommendations

Just picked up a 71 C10 and want to replace fuel filter, oil filter, and air filter. I've done air and oil before, but never fuel.

Any recommendations on a fuel filter for the truck and any tips to consider while replacing?

Thanks!
Kelley
DipStick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Fuel Filter Recommendations

If you have a v8 with a quadrajet the fuel filter is located inside of the carb by the big nut where the fuel line goes into the carb me i'd suggest goin to the autoparts store and gettin the proper replacement
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
Clavo106

Just get yourself something American made or dealer. .... and stay away from Vato-zone my friend that place is only good for is auto detailing supplys...my 2cents.
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
jocko

you can go with the bronze filter only in the fuel inlet of the carb at a minimum or can also add an in-line (but don't skip the bronze fuel inlet one if you add an in-line one). Generally speaking, metal cased filters only, don't use glass or plastic as they are a fire hazard.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
Gromit

I like this kind - (photo attached) cheap and you can change them every other time you change oil..

OReillys sells them with four really nice galvanized Corbin Clamps for 3/8" hose

This type of filter though is kind of a fire hazard, in my opinion; but all the rest of my fuel lines are steel and I only have two little 2" sections of rubber fuel hose just at the junctions of this filter so I don't worry too much.

I like that you can see inside the filter so you'll know if anything is amiss..

Not saying its the best though - actually if I had lots of money I would use the internal bronze ones for my 4160 Holley.

But one other consideration for the internal vs external fuel filters is that it is really easy to strip those fuel inlet threads in the Holley fuel bowls - the material is zinc (not aluminum) so if you tighten the fitting too much as you go to change the internal type filters - those zinc internal threads in your fuel bowls can strip easier than most people think - also the 7/8-20 threads are not repairable (cost effectively)..so you would need probably one or two new float bowls if that occurs.

Some people will tell you they used epoxy to fix fuel inlets - but if you resort to that you're then done with internal filters forever of course - and epoxy is not something I would want to risk trusting on a fuel inlet.
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote