The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
lksmitty

Needing advice on mirrors

Hey guys I have a 1970 GMC K1500 and am looking to get rid of the cheap plastic mirrors that were put on it by the previous owner. What style mirror would have been original to these trucks? I’m ok with purchasing reproductions but have no clue where to start. Thanks.
Attached Images

lksmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:11 AM   #2
SeanB242

Re: Needing advice on mirrors

There are many types available but unless you re-use the mounting arm your gonna have holes in the door. Are you wanting big for towing or just something small to glance in? This page has some examples. Maybe some vendors on here can help you out.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=120
SeanB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
lksmitty

Just something small to see from. I don’t think I’ll do much towing with this truck.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Ironhorse

Nice looking truck. With that said, if you replace the present mirrors from the truck with "anything" other than what is already there you have mounting holes to deal with. Weld or bondo closed and then hopefully blend in new paint to existing paint. Not an easily accomplished task, blending.

Since you are a paid subscription supporting member I would suggest looking thru the board at various trucks for some examples of stock factory mirrors you like. Many examples, both large and small. After making that decision place a WTB (Want To Buy) ad in the appropriate parts forum. Think you will be much happier with GM factory mirrors. Read of LOTS of complaints of the cheap, off shore made mirrors offered by many parts venders. Poor chrome plate, mirrors won't stay adjusted, glass falling out, etc. Just my $0.02 worth of thoughts. Good luck with your search and decision.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
flashed

My 72 4x4 came with similar metal mirrors from a Ford van maybe . They would not stay put no matter what so I used a pair off of a parts truck that were a perfect fit and work great . My truck is not as nice as yours so having a couple extra holes dont matter . Yours would look much better with the smaller chrome Sport Mirrors like factory .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
NorCalC20LWB

My 72 had exactly the same mirrors on it, cheap, plastic, Ford style. I replaced with sport mirrors, suits me fine since I don't plan on towing. Plus easier to get in and out of the garage. Patched the old holes using the JB Weld method, which has a great DIY post on this site. Does need to be painted though, still haven't decided how to get that done.

Before and after Pics:
Attached Images

NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
lksmitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalC20LWB View Post
My 72 had exactly the same mirrors on it, cheap, plastic, Ford style. I replaced with sport mirrors, suits me fine since I don't plan on towing. Plus easier to get in and out of the garage. Patched the old holes using the JB Weld method, which has a great DIY post on this site. Does need to be painted though, still haven't decided how to get that done.

Before and after Pics:
That looks WAY better. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:02 AM   #8
mike16

I ran into this issue. I hate those big side mirror's. But when you remove them, they leave behind big rusty holes where nothing else goes, I dont feel like leaving those big gaping holes or drilling more of my own for yet another set of mirrors. That someone else will hate in the future or resent for all the big gaping hole they leave behind. Stick with what you have and be thankfull you have two functioning complete mirrors. Ugly or not.

I have side mirrors I hate. I have 5 mirror set ups for my truck and still not a complete enough set to be functional. and no choice because of the holes they leave behind.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Seems like a person could go to the hardware store and find a small button head screw or very small push in plug in one of the specialty bins that would fit in the old unused mirror holes. Get some touch up paint same color as your rig and paint the screw or plug to match. Instead of a gaping hole or shoddy repair you would at least have a very small same color as your truck bump. People ask what they are just say optional factory mirror holes. When it's time to repair and paint your whole truck fix the holes.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
lksmitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Seems like a person could go to the hardware store and find a small button head screw or very small push in plug in one of the specialty bins that would fit in the old unused mirror holes. Get some touch up paint same color as your rig and paint the screw or plug to match. Instead of a gaping hole or shoddy repair you would at least have a very small same color as your truck bump. People ask what they are just say optional factory mirror holes. When it's time to repair and paint your whole truck fix the holes.
Not a bad idea
Old 06-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
bs46488

I just repainted my truck. I filled all the holes on the doors from the previous owner mounting 3 different types of mirrors on the truck.

I drilled new holes for the sport mirrors like NorCalC20 put on his truck. Just an FYI...I can't see anything out of the passenger side mirror.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
NorCalC20LWB

I think mine had the same amount of holes from previous mirrors as yours...probably 6 old holes to fill. There have been quite a few posts about not being able to see out of the passenger side sport mirror, but for covering the blind spot the convex style works fine. The "objects are closer than they appear" type of convex mirror. Not a full view like a camper style mirror, but I think they work good enough for safety purposes. If the passenger side were not the convex type, then they'd probably be useless.
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #13
mike16

every one I've seen left some pretty nasty holes. dont know abot hiding them successfully
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #14
darrellyates

I used GM factory Chevelle mirrors. I think they were Chevelle mirrors. Might have been from a Nova.

I got them from Classic Industries. Used them on both sides. They are just a little different from the standard truck mirror. Plus, they have the Chevy Bowtie on them.

I like them anyway...
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #15
67chevemall

Make a wtb ad for oem mirrors for sure.
Aftermarket junk will chip and rust in no time
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #16
BCOWANWHEELS

Sure plus makes mirrors check em out
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #17
jocko

Lowes does have push-in slightly convex metal caps that are almost flush that you can paint to match body. While they aren’t as good as no hole, it’s much less unsightly than an open hole - and a good temporary fix if you don’t want to paint right at the moment.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote