The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Jered1987

Trying to fix leak/ brakes?

I have a 350/th350 and I think maybe a np203 transfer case not sure.
Anyways I have a heck of a leak the truck sits at my wife’s grandparents house for a while at a time but when we go back the leak is so bad I have to put a whole gallon of atf fluid in just so it will move. I’m planning on trying to take it out I’m wondering what the most common culprit is seal or gaskets? Also wondering how to take it out, any help recommendations on removal and install and if it’s not gaskets how do the seals go in?

Also the picture I put in for the difference in brake calipers...will the new one work or not? I got one for a 85 k20 since the guy at advance said they would need one for a 2500 with it having a 8 lug conversion.
Attached Images

Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: Trying to fix leak/ brakes?

Your trans is most likely leaking from the pan gasket and the dipstick seal. There are threads here about converting to a newer style dipstick and hat seal. I don't know about the calipers but GM didn't use any rare parts on heavy duty trucks. You should be able to get the correct caliper in less than 5 tries.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
nonstop

Guessing that the brake lines aren’t too new, might just consider new front brake hoses as well. You are going to crack the system anyway to bleed it, and calipers are cheap for these. Good peace of mind to do calipers and hoses. If you get the calipers and hoses for a 2500, should address any potential issues about matching up hoses to calipers. The other end will thread into the hard lines.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
Jered1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jered1987 View Post
I have a 350/th350 and I think maybe a np203 transfer case not sure.
Anyways I have a heck of a leak the truck sits at my wife’s grandparents house for a while at a time but when we go back the leak is so bad I have to put a whole gallon of atf fluid in just so it will move. I’m planning on trying to take it out I’m wondering what the most common culprit is seal or gaskets? Also wondering how to take it out, any help recommendations on removal and install and if it’s not gaskets how do the seals go in?

Also the picture I put in for the difference in brake calipers...will the new one work or not? I got one for a 85 k20 since the guy at advance said they would need one for a 2500 with it having a 8 lug conversion.
Here's some photos of the leak
Attached Images

Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote