The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #501
rusty76

Re: pdx-sanity66

That's a shame. Around here even yard sales can really blow. If I was looking for racing memorabilia or a glass vase I'd be in the money...lol. But cool truck parts not so much. If you do find it for sale usually it has a price tag to match it.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:10 AM   #502
Bomp

Don't toss them truck parts away quite yet. Im trying my hardest to get a chance to make it up there.
Will send a pm a day or two ahead of time so we can set something up.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #503
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
That's a shame. Around here even yard sales can really blow. If I was looking for racing memorabilia or a glass vase I'd be in the money...lol. But cool truck parts not so much. If you do find it for sale usually it has a price tag to match it.
Yeah, but I'm not in too big of a hurry so hopefully some guys here on the forum will take some more of it off my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Don't toss them truck parts away quite yet. Im trying my hardest to get a chance to make it up there.
Will send a pm a day or two ahead of time so we can set something up.
It would be great if you could make it up sometime. I work Sun, Mon, Tue. so I'm not available then but any other time I'm usually just hanging out in the garage. Anything in particular you want?

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #504
pdxhall

Oops, almost forgot. I media blasted some parts a week ago and just got around to getting some epoxy on them today. I also got some more fittings and tubing to finish running fuel lines from the tank to the carb.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #505
pdxhall

I finished up getting the lower radiator mounts moved outward and then decided to bolt a couple of things up for fitment. If anybody is interested, using the front holes for the motor mounts moving the engine forward, and using the serpentine belt setup. There are 4 inches between the water pump pulley and the radiator. The one great thing is having the original parts that bolt right back up the way they came off without fitment issues.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #506
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’ve been so busy with my own stuff in the last few months I haven’t got out much to see what everyone else is doing. Went back and checked out the last few pages on your build and it’s really coming along nicely. Other than for its first paint job years ago, mine has always been in daily service making it difficult to achieve the level of detail your truck is showing. I sure like all the choices you’ve made as for parts and paint selection. I may have missed it, but have you decided on colors yet for the inside and exterior? Good to see the cab back on the frame, that’s always a great milestone. Looking forward to the next level of progress!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #507
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post

It would be great if you could make it up sometime. I work Sun, Mon, Tue. so I'm not available then but any other time I'm usually just hanging out in the garage. Anything in particular you want?
Ill take the seat tracks and intake/exhaust manifold.
Sent you a pm with my phone number so we can figure out a time to hook up.

And your truck is looking Killer!!!!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #508
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I’ve been so busy with my own stuff in the last few months I haven’t got out much to see what everyone else is doing. Went back and checked out the last few pages on your build and it’s really coming along nicely. Other than for its first paint job years ago, mine has always been in daily service making it difficult to achieve the level of detail your truck is showing. I sure like all the choices you’ve made as for parts and paint selection. I may have missed it, but have you decided on colors yet for the inside and exterior? Good to see the cab back on the frame, that’s always a great milestone. Looking forward to the next level of progress!
Hey Mark, thanks for looking in and I appreciate the comments. What I like about your truck the most is the fact that you have been able to do modifications as you go and still have an awesome truck to cruise in. I'm trying to use quality parts in the drivetrain with a minimal amount of bling. Just enough to set things off. The colors in the engine bay will carry over to the interior somewhat. The aluminum color I used on the serpentine setup, transmission, and a few other things will be used for the interior with a low gloss black dash, black seats, and black carpet that mimics the size of the stock floor mat. There will be some brushed aluminum, a taste or red, and a dash of chrome to finish things off and maybe a surprise or two.
The exterior will eventually be a very pale, eggshell, baby blue with white like a two-tone but with the roof also in the blue. I may have to put it together for awhile and drive it before I can think about paint. I'll just have to see what happens down the road. It's been great getting to start assembly of some things. Makes it feel like a real truck again.

Quote:
Ill take the seat tracks and intake/exhaust manifold.
Sent you a pm with my phone number so we can figure out a time to hook up.

And your truck is looking Killer!!!!
Thanks, Greg.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #509
pdxhall

I haven't got much of anything done on Sanity this weekend. I had some home projects I had to get done which, as usual, took longer than expected.

I did get to visit with Mr. & Mrs. Bomp for a little bit, though. Greg and his wife drove up to pick up some parts from me and talk trucks and share some stories. I don't get many visitors to my garage so it was cool to hang out.
Two very cool people, Thanks again for stopping by.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #510
Bomp

Thanks for holding the truck parts for me Brett. It was great seeing you and Sanity.
You've made a lot of progress since I saw Sanity last. Clean Clean Clean Truck! Sanity is way better live!
That will be One Sweet Truck when you're done!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #511
Frizzle Fry

Sanity is looking great!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:17 AM   #512
pdxhall

Quote:
Thanks for holding the truck parts for me Brett. It was great seeing you and Sanity.
You've made a lot of progress since I saw Sanity last. Clean Clean Clean Truck! Sanity is way better live!
That will be One Sweet Truck when you're done!
Thanks, Greg, I'll be watching cc coming together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Sanity is looking great!
Thanks, man.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #513
pdxhall

I realized today that in order to proceed I need to be able to move the truck a little easier than how it is in its current condition which is no steering control.
Well, I had the manual gear on and connected to the drag link but I had no steering wheel to get the wheels going where I needed them to go to get Sanity in and out of the garage as needed. I had all the parts needed to get going: Power steering gear all cleaned up and painted, Capt. Fab's adapter plate, new Moog idler arm, etc., etc. First I swapped out the idler arm, I drove over to O'Reilly's and borrowed one of their pitman are pullers. They're less than a mile away and I think it's great when you need that one tool that you might not need that often.
Today I used the template with Capt.'s kit and got the holed aligned and drilled in the frame. You've got a real nice kit Capt. If anyone reading this thread needs one of these for your truck I highly recommend it. I shot a little paint in the drilled holes to aid in rust prevention, and painted the adapter plate with some Eastwood's extreme chassis black, what I've used on most of the chassis parts I've painted black. Saturday, it will be ready to assemble.
I also need to start getting my Camaro tilt column mocked up and the first step is I need to get the bracket that holds the peddle assemblies and the steering column to the underside of the dash.
I had already removed the clutch peddle assembly, so I disassembled the brake peddle components, cleaned the parts with some mineral spirits and then bead blasted them. That blaster is the best toy I've got. It just saves me tones of time. They are now ready for some epoxy primer and then the bracket will be installed under the dash so I can start mocking up the column.
All the parts are in very nice condition and will be reused or modified to be used.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #514
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Looking good! Capt. Fab makes great stuff.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #515
pdxhall

Here's the finished power steering gear all mounted up. Everything went very smooth and aligned perfectly. The next step is to get the under dash mount in and start mocking up the steering column.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #516
Bomp

I had the honor of stopping by again to pick up some more parts and got to see the under dash parts cleaned and painted. Brett you sure do some top quality work man!!!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #517
pdxhall

Quote:
I had the honor of stopping by again to pick up some more parts and got to see the under dash parts cleaned and painted. Brett you sure do some top quality work man!!!
It was great to see you and thanks for the compliments although I don't see it as much of an honor to visit this humble garage. The honor is all mine. Stop by any time. You're always welcome.

I made a little more progress on the steering situation and I got the radiator support prepped and painted with extreme chassis black satin.
I'm using the steering column under dash support that came with the Camaro column and with a little cutting and bending I got it to fit where it will bolt up with the peddle bracket. The original bracket got cut back and will be modified and used to still mount the emergency brake handle and stop light switch in their original location. I've still got a ways to go but here it is so far.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #518
ol_skool_chevy

Gotta love a Garage sale..............anything good?

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #519
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy View Post
Gotta love a Garage sale..............anything good?
It was a pretty successful sale. We got rid of a lot of stuff. We're trying to whittle things down in preparation for retirement at the end of the year. We're selling the house, putting things in storage, and then we're going to travel around the country for a while.
I've got a couple of sets of wheels, 2 fleetside tailgates, a bellhousing and flywheel, and some other odds and ends I'm still trying to sell. I don't want to store them, and I really don't want to scrap them.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:41 AM   #520
pdxhall

Well, I worked some more on the under dash mount for the steering column and I ended up rethinking the whole thing and I am basically scrapping the first setup I started. With the direction I'm trying to go now, I should be able to set the column about 2 more inches toward the dash. The great thing about this Camaro column is that the outer round piece after the tilt is made of plastic material that is much easier to trim back than the steel ones. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow when I'm sure what I'm doing is working and I get things fitted up a bit better.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #521
ol_skool_chevy

I'm trying a 1976 column. I want to utilize the tilt, locking steering and column key. I will fill the stock key location with a accessory lighter for charging a phone or I might adopt a stock looking switch to run my trans fan...
I have not seen anyone here use a 73-78 colunm in our trucks...there might be a good reason for that.....LOL

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #522
pdxhall

I could have probably fabricated a whole new mount for the column and emergency brake in the time it has taken me to adapt the old one to make it work, but I think I've finally have something that I can live with. I am still utilizing the original mount and the Camaro mount that came with the column but they are both highly modified at this point and there's still more to do. I think it's going to work out great though and still retain a clean look. I have the column and mounts all buttoned up under the dash now in the position it needs to be and the steering wheel will be much closer to the dash leaving a lot more room for my large size. I ran out of time last weekend to do anymore but this weekend I will attach the 2 mount with a few spot welds to hold it in the position it's in now and then I'll remove the assembly for final fabrication and joining of the assembly. I'll get more pics up in a couple of days to show where this is going. I think I've had the column and mounts off and on the truck a dozen or more times cutting and fitting, measuring and cutting, etc., etc, etc.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #523
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

Just sayin, you can check out my mods for a newer column back on page 20 of my thread to see how I did it, but I just went back to look at it myself, and the pics are huge!
I have no idea why they are so big, they weren't that way when I posted them originally!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #524
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
Just sayin, you can check out my mods for a newer column back on page 20 of my thread to see how I did it, but I just went back to look at it myself, and the pics are huge!
I have no idea why they are so big, they weren't that way when I posted them originally!
Those are some big pics! That is almost exactly how I started to do mine and the mount you used is the same as mine, and then I had this bright idea that I wanted to push the column back to give myself more belly room. I am still using the same mount but I am now joining the old mount to the new mount since it is much further back at about the spot that I see you cut out of the original mount.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #525
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

I was just hoping that the pics could be of some help, or maybe shed a little insight.
Did you notice that I made an extension bracket to move the switches down the column to get them out of the way?
Just tryin to help out!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote