The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
bigjohn80

nv4500 AA conversion questions

Hey folks, i have a 71 k10 lwb 350/th-350/10 spline 205 t-case, 4" lift 35" tires. I am planning for a nv4500 swap this summer. I have found a lot of useful info through the search, although i still have a few questions. I have been looking into the AA conversion kit but i was wondering if i use the adapter for my original tcase will my driveshaft lengths need to be changed? Will i need a different trans tunnel hump? They have a bellhousing that allows use of an original mechanical clutch and one for a hydraulic setup, what are the pros and cons to mechanical versus hydraulic. Which t cases are simple bolt on options and if there are any will my driveshafts hook up and if not do they make adapters for this. This is my first chevy, and I must admit I am enjoying the old truck. I intend to completely replace the drive train in this truck the nv 4500, 1 ton axles with 4.10's and the old engine is gettin pretty tired its a 350 stock with double hump heads if any of yal fellas got ideas on a good direction to go with this engine lemme know.

thanks
Big John
bigjohn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: nv4500 AA conversion questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn80 View Post
Hey folks, i have a 71 k10 lwb 350/th-350/10 spline 205 t-case, 4" lift 35" tires. I am planning for a nv4500 swap this summer. I have found a lot of useful info through the search, although i still have a few questions. I have been looking into the AA conversion kit but i was wondering if i use the adapter for my original tcase will my driveshaft lengths need to be changed? Will i need a different trans tunnel hump? They have a bellhousing that allows use of an original mechanical clutch and one for a hydraulic setup, what are the pros and cons to mechanical versus hydraulic. Which t cases are simple bolt on options and if there are any will my driveshafts hook up and if not do they make adapters for this. This is my first chevy, and I must admit I am enjoying the old truck. I intend to completely replace the drive train in this truck the nv 4500, 1 ton axles with 4.10's and the old engine is gettin pretty tired its a 350 stock with double hump heads if any of yal fellas got ideas on a good direction to go with this engine lemme know.

thanks
Big John
Welcome to the site Big John,

I am in the middle of this same swap but on a '78 K10.

1) Yes, if you use AA kit 27-0031 (27 spline 205 to NV4500….same kit I am using) you will need to shorten the rear shaft and lengthen the front shaft.
2) No, you can rework your TH350 hump to work. In fact, I used a TH350 hump so I could cut in the shifter tower hole instead of plug the SM465 hole and make a new hole.
3) Mechanical or Hydraulic… that is is entirely up to you. Mechanical will be much more simple to deal with during the NV4500 swap. I chose to go the route of upgrading to a hydraulic clutch
4) Simple tcase bolt ons… There are several that are simple to bolt on. A RH front output NP241 bolts right on and a round pattern 205 from a 1985 or later GM truck is almost a bolt on job.

Here is a link to my project that is still in the works.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=431033
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
msgross

Re: nv4500 AA conversion questions

Plan on new driveshafts...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote