The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Pinchecharlie

Questions on customizations

So I am hel@ bent on doing a smooth firewall and running as much of my lines/wires under my inner fenders and or trying to hide them. I feel in love with "Sanford and sons" build and even though its beyond my skill level I am gonna try. So here's the dumb questions
What do I cover the interior firewall with if I have no little black fastener things?
Do I weld fasteners inside?
Can a guy glue on headliner material or carpet?
Same with inner fenders, should I weld some kind of wire clips or straps to hold the lines?
Which ones would work best you think?
I started welding all that up and realized I didn't really know what I was doing lol!
If you have any tips or experience doing it that would help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks charlie
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
Macdaddy1

Re: Questions on customizations

I am also very interested to know as I am contemplating doing the same
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Chevy Fleetside

It is hard to hide the wires going to the turn signals but you can get creative to do that. I used an aftermarket harness in my truck and an aftermarket gas pedal. I ran the new wires through the hole where the stock gas pedal exited the cab and ran the wires do the side of my engine block through a copper tube I bolted up. I used corvette style spark plug wires and ran them down the back of the heads along the engine block also. The headlight harness can be run under the left inner fender. You can maybe weld some conduit under there to run the wires through. I also located my battery under the bed. There are more pictures in my build thread. Link below in my sig.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
It is hard to hide the wires going to the turn signals but you can get creative to do that. I used an aftermarket harness in my truck and an aftermarket gas pedal. I ran the new wires through the hole where the stock gas pedal exited the cab and ran the wires do the side of my engine block through a copper tube I bolted up. I used corvette style spark plug wires and ran them down the back of the heads along the engine block also. The headlight harness can be run under the left inner fender. You can maybe weld some conduit under there to run the wires through. I also located my battery under the bed. There are more pictures in my build thread. Link below in my sig.
so nice! thanks!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
I have a question for ya, how did you attack removing the battery indent from the inner fender? I keep thinking it's going to warp really bad and maybe I should flange the new piece and join them as a seam rather than welding it all? I am the king of oil canning stuff.3 good to fill the trim on my 49, not good
Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
Chevy Fleetside

I took my jig saw and cut around the indent and I cut a piece out of a left inner fender to place in the new hole. Don't worry it wasn't a perfect inner fender so I used part it. I did weld it in slowly and all worked out good.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
I took my jig saw and cut around the indent and I cut a piece out of a left inner fender to place in the new hole. Don't worry it wasn't a perfect inner fender so I used part it. I did weld it in slowly and all worked out good.
Thanks that came out really nice. I have a dead inner for the donor too ..I guess it's just how it is ...tack ,leave,tack,leave, finished in a few days. I love the coolio winners the super dropped guys are building but they are mostly 67 -and up. Couple of small time fabricators doing really nice looking core support trim and inners ect. Thanks again