The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
Phil_Suppi

New To Forum: 72' GMC Jimmy with a 302 'Jimmy' GMC Inline 6?

Hello,
I am new to your forum and must say i appreciate the vast wealth of knowledge i've absorbed here. I am in search of some information myself...I appreciate any and all help with my inquiries.

I have a 1972 GMC Jimmy sporting factory 2wd suspension. There were very few of these trucks made, and it is near and dear to my heart. I'm 22 years old in the middle of a body off resto and plan to keep this truck for life.

I recently learned about the infamous GMC 302 'Jimmy' Inline 6 motor. I INSTANTLY began pondering this engine instead of a modern 6.0 LS engine. Here are my questions:

1) Obviously, the motor will have to be converted to an alternator setup for my purposes. Possible?

2) Does the 302 provide enough power/torque to move this truck (production weight supposedly 3375 pounds) effectively?

3) What transmissions originally bolted up to this engine? I'm thinking a TKO or T56 (with custom adapter kit obviously...)but if there is some kind of super cool weird transmission akin to these motors i could definitely appreciate its significance. I'm into different...

4) Does the 302 produce enough vacuum for power brakes, steering, etc? Use an electric vacuum booster?

5) Who hot rods 302's? Who can beef one up and HOPEFULLY fuel inject it?

6) What is a good price on a 302?

7) Where can i find a good 302?

8) Can a 302 be a reliable daily driver?

9) Fuel economy?

10) What needs to be done to bring a 302 into this century? (i'm not seeking a perfect motor,i know this engine isn't going to be similar to a newer type engine) I just want to make it drivable daily/reliably.

i'll have to contract one of the many fantastic fabricators on here to build a custom crossmember for the engine.

I know these are "noob" type questions, but i'm fascinated with keeping my GMC as "GMC" as possible. Everyone converts their Jimmy's to a Chevy Blazer.... I appreciate any and all help. I think a Jimmy with a Jimmy in it would be a cool, different, refreshing build.

Thanks in advance!
-Suppi
Phil_Suppi is offline   Reply With Quote