The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
sawyerrm

A fool and his money soon part

I'm interested in this 57 on EBAY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Ot...m=272032688843

Everything was as said in the ad although the rear end has been changed to make it "freeway friendly".

I spoke to the seller and he offered to close the auction for $17k. I decided to have a third party inspection first before entering a serious offer. If the inspection is good, I plan to offer $16k. I need to factor in $1500 shipping from Iowa to CA.

I know there are two camps, "build and bought" and regrettably I am in the latter so please consider that in your response. I wish I had the time, shop and skills that many of gifted individuals on this site have but need something relatively turn key.

Anyway, thanks in advance, this is an awesome place to ask newbie questions.

Rob
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: A fool and his money soon part

the only difference between built and bought, in my eyes, is that the builder guys frequently spend way more than the buyers, and the buyers get to enjoy the truck immediately.

that said, it looks like a really solid truck, I like all the pictures he took underneath.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Rob,
Looks like a really nice truck to me from what can be seen. There's always a risk even if you inspect it yourself. That said, this is a very nice looking truck that would be hard to duplicate even for the full $17K if you're writing checks.

Nothing to apologize for or feel sheepish about in buying your dream. Everyone has different time limitations, skills, etc. please post pictures if you get it.
Best, Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
OrrieG

Looks good to me, but would have someone local look at to see how the 10 restoration is holding up in all the rust prone areas. Price is fair if you do not have to repaint it.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
roger55

I'd have trouble buying that one sight-unseen and based just on someone's word.
I would need photo-documentation of all work done just to begin considering a purchase over a distance.

There's not any information at all about what was done to that truck. You can see everything in the photos that the text states. No more useful information.

It's also a red-flag that they call it a 3100 when it is a 3200 model.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

It does look good and 16-17K is a reasonable price , except its not a 3100 its a 3200 long bed so the vin says and the bed says. Find out what the title says and the frame number says. Do by all means get an inspection
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerrm View Post
I'm interested in this 57 on EBAY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Ot...m=272032688843

Everything was as said in the ad although the rear end has been changed to make it "freeway friendly".

I spoke to the seller and he offered to close the auction for $17k. I decided to have a third party inspection first before entering a serious offer. If the inspection is good, I plan to offer $16k. I need to factor in $1500 shipping from Iowa to CA.

I know there are two camps, "build and bought" and regrettably I am in the latter so please consider that in your response. I wish I had the time, shop and skills that many of gifted individuals on this site have but need something relatively turn key.

Anyway, thanks in advance, this is an awesome place to ask newbie questions.

Rob
1500 for shipping? that sounds off to me. I sold a 51 f5 window non running from tucson to oklahoma for 600 my non running truck is coming from missouri to az for less than 600,,, non running.... Who you using as a shipper? I dont do the work myself, I wasnt blessed with that talent either.
tiddlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

anything that goes over the Rockies cost more in shipping and anything goes over the Mississippi river from the east coast costs more. don't know why but it does
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
OrrieG

I am getting quotes on shipping my 69 C30 from Eugene OR to Boise ID. 445 miles, quotes are in the $650 range, needs winched on and off. Lots of flat desert across eastern oregon, but also 4 mountain passes to cross. If running cost would be $500.

I concur with title and frame verification, someone may have just swapped the badges, or may be more to the story.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
sawyerrm

Late breaking news....
I spoke with the buyer and shipping company is Passport Transport, which is covered vehicle and b/w $1500 - $1700.

The truck is in fact a 3200. I remember reading in Roger's build thread that the 3200 badges were not available so he used 3100 types. From my research this means it's 20 inches longer and 300 pounds heavier. I have a Tacoma today and that's one thing I dislike is trying to park a 208 inch vehicle especially in the 90 degree angle stalls. Also, no way a 3200 would fit in the garage. Bummer but better to know now, rather than later.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

Rob
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #11
1project2many

FWIW I had three one ton buses shipped from IA to NH at about $1200 ea. Cost would have been less if I'd been willing to wait for a return trip. Shipper said same thing about going east of Mississippi River, tolls and higher fuel costs made total charge higher than a similar distance in the midwest or down south.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #12
roger55

Overall length difference between a 3100 and that 3200 is 12 inches. That's an 89" bed version of the 3200 (there was a 97" version also).

The wheelbase difference is 10 3/4" between the 3100 and 3200 no matter which bed length of 3200 it is.

I doubt the weight difference is 300 lbs. Might be upwards of 100 though.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Nice truck but being a long box & original drivetrain I'd have a hard time paying $17g especially on an older rebuild. There was a '56 GMC shorty all original restored a few years back in resale red like this local to me & it was $18g CAD I believe this year. So roughly $14g USD & I'm not sure if it ever sold. To me this truck would be a $13g USD truck max but up here our market isn't over priced like others lol

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #14
kingstrider

Sweet truck, I actually saw that one on there as well but am not in the market, just looking for now. Sounds like a fair deal considering the condition as long as it lives up to the photos and description.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #15
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
I'd have trouble buying that one sight-unseen and based just on someone's word.
I would need photo-documentation of all work done just to begin considering a purchase over a distance.

There's not any information at all about what was done to that truck. You can see everything in the photos that the text states. No more useful information.

It's also a red-flag that they call it a 3100 when it is a 3200 model.
^Good Advice

Rims are not correct for 57 but are 47-53 Style. They also appear to be 16 inch which also adds up as being the narrow rim instead of the wider 3 clip 15 inch.

Spare tire carrier does not match the contour of spare tire cutout in the fender. Exterior of paint looks nice. Interior very dull . Personalized paint . Not sure why they did the wrinkle door panels other than preference.

Hocus Pocus on 3200 being represented as a 3100 . What else is misreprestented?

New odometer . The rest of the cluster needs restoration. Dull face worn bezel etc.

Used worn dash knobs .

No idea what rust repair was done. Without documentation of that I would not touch it.

So much you cannot see that could be expensive going ahead.

I would not buy something you cannot touch
Never buy a truck over the phone
Never buy a truck at night

Look at 10 trucks and buy one. Especially when you are thinking of spending this amount.

Shipping is about right for the distance. Hard to get shipping for less than a buck a mile . Sometimes a buck an half.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #16
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Your $18g USD will buy this up here in BC. Although it's not original & modified.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5288298097.html

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote