The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
BP87GMC

New guy with a compressor question

Hello everybody, I've been reading this forum for a while. I just registered so this is my first posting. I have a 87 1/2 ton I'm currently bagging. I'm using a set of valves from Dloe, and was wondering if you guys think I'll be fine with running 1 - 380 with my 5 gallon tank or should I run 2. Any advice or any comments ( good or bad) are appreciated. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
BP87GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
hellbent72

Re: New guy with a compressor question

You can do it with a single 380 it will take a bit to fill from empty but after that its not bad. A lot depends on how much you play around with the air. I use a 380 on a 8 gallon and its works but it takes forever. Running 2 will reduce fill time and you will get more life out of your pump. Heat kills any pump so the cooler they run the longer they lasts.
In short one pump will do the job if your not in a hurry.
Posted via Mobile Device
hellbent72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
BP87GMC

Thanks for the reply, that's kinda what I figured. I just like to hear other people's know how seeing as this is my first experience with this. I'll probably just go ahead and use both since I've got 'em. Thanks again, be on the look out, I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions( some will probably seem ridiculous)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
DJDAudio

I built this calculator many years ago. It is based on real world results of testing each compressor in my lab. I find it handy to be able to calculate the time it will take to fill any system combination I may have in mind.

http://www.landisusa.com/ultracalc.swf

I ran (2) Viair 380's on a single 5 gallon for years. They worked great. The 380 has one of the most efficient designs, as in it will output more air per amp used then most any other compressor out there. But it is slow.

A single compressor on a 5 gal from 165~200PSI is 3 Min 51 Sec almost 4 min. You can cut that in half with (2) installed just under 2 Min.

Mine have been working on my truck since 2001! 12 years. ( NOTE: not common these only test to last about 400 hours. ) Being that they are oil-less, the Teflon compound piston ring, is what lubricates the piston walls, and it will wear, in practice about 4-5 years of service life is expected.

Any questions let me know, I have been around, up inside and within compressors for a long time haha

Here are my 380's

Oh, also what said above is 100% true, the shorter they run and the cooler they stay, the longer they will perform well
Old 05-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
BP87GMC

Thanks for the info. I'll also be using manual valves from Dloe , so I don't think I'll drain the tank to quickly. But I'll use both 380s just to be safe. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device