The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
pitterpat

Prep cab floor for paint

I'm trying to determine if I just sand the cab floor or need to do other steps to remove the rust on the cab floor. Here's the worst of my cab floor. This the worst area in my truck. Not a show truck just want to take care of this rust and cover the floor up with padding and another rubber mat.

No I don't know how thick (?) it is. Didn't touch it Sunday when I took out the masonite and padding.

Thanks!
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783971
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: Prep cab floor for paint

On a limited budget, I'd wire brush the heck out it to a shine and epoxy primer it. Then some seam sealer to keep the water out, then Rustoleum paint it.

On a more spendy budget, I'd cut it out, weld in a new piece, and then follow limited budget steps above.

Do not apply bedliner or POR 15 as it will only capture the rust allowing it to grow undetected and be a mess to start from scratch.

Another inexpensive option might be using a panel bonding adhesive to overlay a fresh piece of sheet metal.

There's only one way to fix it correctly as I described by welding in a new piece, but there's a few ways to put a Band Aid on it.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
pitterpat

Re: Prep cab floor for paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
On a limited budget, I'd wire brush the heck out it to a shine and epoxy primer it. Then some seam sealer to keep the water out, then Rustoleum paint it.

On a more spendy budget, I'd cut it out, weld in a new piece, and then follow limited budget steps above.

Do not apply bedliner or POR 15 as it will only capture the rust allowing it to grow undetected and be a mess to start from scratch.

Another inexpensive option might be using a panel bonding adhesive to overlay a fresh piece of sheet metal.

There's only one way to fix it correctly as I described by welding in a new piece, but there's a few ways to put a Band Aid on it.
Thanks Foot Stomper. I'll probably do the limited budget option with maybe overlaying a fresh piece of sheet metal. I don't want to work on this truck all summer.
Thanks again.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783971
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote