The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
69heavychevy

GM 3100 bad head gasket???

Hey guys,
I wanted to get some input on a car I'm working on 2001 Chevy Lumina 3.1. The car was puffing out steady white smoke so right away I figured bad head gasket. I check the oil and its clean, no signs of water contamination. I check the coolant in the reservoir and it looks like mud. I crank the car up with the radiator cap off and right of the bat its shooting coolant out through the filler neck. I go ahead and do a block test and the tester fluid turns a light yellow. Everything points to it being a bad head gasket but why is there no coolant mixing with the oil? Also will a bad lower intake manifold gasket cause all the symptoms of a bad head gasket?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Z16

Re: GM 3100 bad head gasket???

If it's intake, there wouldn't be pressure in the cooling system. That means combustion pressure is getting into the coolant. Oil can suck in from under the intake during the intake stroke, so that explains the milky coolant. 3.1s are known for cracked heads as well, but with oil in the coolant, I would say head gasket. With oil getting in the coolant, I would say there's a good chance of the head being warped as well. I believe the spec on a 3.1 is .002" warp, but I like to resurface every time I do head gaskets. Only other cause would be a cracked block, but highly unlikely
98 GMC Sierra Ex Cab, cowl hood, Euro LED lights, 30 bar billet, Whipple Supercharged 350 Vortec: Forged flattops, E-Tec aluminum heads, Comp Cam, Scat crank and rods, Granatelli Mass air flow, Headers, Flowmaster exhaust , Complete MSD Ignition, Custom Tuning, intake spacer , ported throttle body, AC Delco port injection upgrade, Roller Rockers, Power Pulleys. Gear Vendors Overdrive. Soon to hit a dyno. 2/4 drop(for now).

95 Chevy S-10 Ex Cab 4.3 5 Speed 2/3 drop, Euro lights, billet grill, More to come. The Daily Driver
Z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
69heavychevy

Z16, I don't have milky oil. That's what's confusing. I have all the symptoms of a bad head gasket, but my oil is clean with absolutely no signs of coolant contamination.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Z16

Read again, I said milky COOLANT. It's quite common not to have milky oil.
98 GMC Sierra Ex Cab, cowl hood, Euro LED lights, 30 bar billet, Whipple Supercharged 350 Vortec: Forged flattops, E-Tec aluminum heads, Comp Cam, Scat crank and rods, Granatelli Mass air flow, Headers, Flowmaster exhaust , Complete MSD Ignition, Custom Tuning, intake spacer , ported throttle body, AC Delco port injection upgrade, Roller Rockers, Power Pulleys. Gear Vendors Overdrive. Soon to hit a dyno. 2/4 drop(for now).

95 Chevy S-10 Ex Cab 4.3 5 Speed 2/3 drop, Euro lights, billet grill, More to come. The Daily Driver
Z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
GruntMoanCough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69heavychevy View Post
Also will a bad lower intake manifold gasket cause all the symptoms of a bad head gasket?
Very common on these engines. Usually around 180,000 km (100,000 + miles).
The ones I have seen, leak coolant at the right front corner (looking at the engine) above the starter.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

most likely the oily coolant is from a bad intake gasket and you also have a bad head gasket. I usually find them blown on the corner of the block by cylinder #1. sometimes I find the block eroded away.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote