The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which year is the most sought after '47-'55 Truck
1947 1 2.38%
1948 4 9.52%
1949 1 2.38%
1950 9 21.43%
1951 5 11.90%
1952 1 2.38%
1953 1 2.38%
1954 10 23.81%
1955 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
split

Which year is the most sought after '47-'55 Truck

I'm looking to pick up a 47-55 and I'm new to this particular generation of trucks. What is the most sought after year? Not from a rarity standpoint, but from a desirability standpoint. I realize that there was not a lot of change until '54 and while I have looked up the various differences, its hard to judge unless you can compare them side by side.

So please vote your choice and then let me know why you made your choice below.

Thanks,
Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Bierkan

Re: Which year is the most sought after '47-'55 Truck

I voted 50 'cause that's what I have. Not a lot of difference between them. 47-48 had the fuel tank under the truck, 51 (or 52) lost the driver's side vent, some time in there the vent windows were added, 54 had a different grille and 55 they changed body styles half way through the year.

1950 3100 on a 1972 C10 Chassis

Truck Blog

Motorcycle Blog
Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
nvrdone

I like the 49 because that's what I have and it was made 3 months before I was born
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Daze57

i like the 54 - unique grill !
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Clay54

If I were able to vote, I would vote '54 because that what I have.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
split

I see that this poll is worthless. Selecting a year simply because it happens to be the one you own is not useful.

A hypothetical proper answer:

I choose 55, because it is the same as 54 but has lower build totals because it was 1/2 year thus making it more rare. But to answer the question, The 54,55 is most sought after because of the significant changes made in 54. 54's typically command a higher price, The gauges are a better design, one piece front glass, the bed looks better, etc., etc.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by split View Post
I see that this poll is worthless. Selecting a year simply because it happens to be the one you own is not useful.

I choose 55, because it is the same as 54 but has lower build totals because it was 1/2 year thus making it more rare. But to answer the question, The 54,55 is most sought after because of the significant changes made in 54. 54's typically command a higher price, The gauges are a better design, one piece front glass, the bed looks better, etc., etc.
Here's another hypothetical answer: Don't ask the question then complain about the answer.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
_Ogre

Quote:
I see that this poll is worthless.
as do i, ask your stupid questions elsewheres

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
47 Fasttoys

My 2 cents worth: 54/55 are good because of the 235 and in 55 the open driveshaft. For the grill I prefer the 47-53, for the doors, the vent window starting in 51 are nice and many prefer the 5 window. I had a 54 and now have a 47 COE and a 46 1/2 ton. All ADs can be built to be very nice trucks. So which year is worth the most? There is no real answer.
Fasttoys
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
Highsider

1957, of course.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
brikar

I would have to say 54 /55 1st because they don't reproduce some of the parts like the proper bedside emboss stamp ,the cab,the glove box door, and probably a few other parts ,and if it's a gmc you have the hood and the three piece grill surround that is not reproduced also.so to rebuild one you need all those original parts which makes them in my opinion more desirable.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
buggy5872

I voted for 54 because I like the grill.......
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
mr48chev

These days there is no "most sought after year." It's about finding the AD truck that is in the best condition that your purchase budget allows for. Then it comes down to standard 3 window cab or Deluxe 5 window cab, then single piece door glass or doors with vent windows and then the 47/53 vs the 54/55 first series.

I'd say that 80% of the guys could care less what engine a project truck has, had or if it even has an engine. Good running 216's or 235's in a truck that you plan on putting a V8 in are just something that you need to figure out how much to sell for and usually the truck's seller thinks that they add a premium to the price of the truck.

For a guy contemplating keeping a stock engine the 216 is ok but with babbitt rods and dippers on the rods rather than pressure oiling to the rods they aren't the best idea for long hard road trips. If you can do gentle road trips they work fine. The guys who want to get out and drive on the big roads should look at 235's though.
We all have different ideas on what driving our trucks entails. Some will never get further than the local cruise nights while others will load up and head out across the country several thousand miles as soon as the truck is on the road and squared away.

As for liking a particular year or model. Personally I like the 47/50 trucks with the one piece windows and the vent on the driver's side of the cowl. I know several other guys who want the 52/53 trucks because they don't have the side vent that they think clutters up the lines of the truck. I learned to drive in a 54 Deluxe cab truck with every bell and whistle that came on 54 trucks on it. Still I don't get excited over the curved windshield or the bulky to me grill.

Basically it sounds like the OP is asking what year truck will bring the most money after it is finished rather than what one's personal tastes in trucks are. As everyone else showed we tend to love the ones we have just because they are the ones we have.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
iowaboynca

Quote:

Lol...bless your heart...

I like 50 GMCs. Why? See Mr. 48's post...
Old 09-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
tttuba

value usually depends on rarity AND desirability. Take the Cameo that sold at the auction in Nebraska this weekend. 140,000.00 for a truck that you have to restore to drive is ridiculous. However that is what someone valued it as. I would think the real question is what do YOU prefer in a truck. Mine was a 47 GMC because of the big clunky grille and unique front bumper. It is a one year truck and that makes it hard to find those one year parts. Good luck with whatever you choose and most importantly enjoy what you choose.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
split

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Basically it sounds like the OP is asking what year truck will bring the most money after it is finished rather than what one's personal tastes in trucks are. As everyone else showed we tend to love the ones we have just because they are the ones we have.
End worth/value is not a factor. I'm just trying to come up to speed as to what is desirable and what is not. For example, if I run out and buy the first one I find, I don't want to be in the situation that later I regret not getting the xx year because it had this or that and mine doesn't. Or the inverse, I get the one with some feature that seems desirable only to learn over time, that is the one thing to avoid.

I doubt if I would keep the engine or trans. So that is likely not a factor. Although I never toss original parts, so I would likely keep the original engine/trans and put the pair on a stand, just to retain originality for some future owner who may have other ideas.

For me a 5 window is a must

Last edited by split; 09-30-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
mr48chev

I don't think that one year model of 3100 shortbed is all that much more desirable than any others. A lot of guys do prefer the five window cabs as they are easier to see out of and get rid of the blind spot on the right side pretty well.

To me a long bed is an automatic 20 percent deduction in value and desirability and a long bed 3/4 ton (8 lug) is probably more than that less desirable than a half ton deluxe cab short bed. Meaning that if you take two trucks side by side in the shop with one being a short bed and one being a long bed and build them identical except for the length of the bed the short bed will be that much easier to sell and probably get that much more attention at shows. I am talking two exactly matching trucks except for the bed length. There are those who no doubt will dispute that but I've been into these trucks for 40 years and have seen the trends.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #18
split

I think you are 100% right on the bed length. Its just like a 4-door Belair versus a 2-door.
The 4-door is so much less desirable, just as the long bed is less desirable.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #19
mr48chev

There are certain guys who only want four doors though. You can't figure out what someone else will like or reason why at times.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #20
msaintg

In the short time I have had my truck, I don't see any 'value' in one year over another.... just personal preference in style. If you are going to keep it bone stock, then the oldest one with the most factory accessories is the most 'valuable'. I am obviously not a purist (just see my build), and I don't give a rats a#$ about the resale 'value' of my truck, I just built it to drive. I want as many modern features and comforts as I can afford to put on the truck.... does that make it worth more or less? who cares, I am the one that has to drive it.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #21
Dodger

1950 for me because I have one! Hope I'm allowed to say that.................and...............I like the drivers side vent and love the cowl vent. I don't have AC but its amazing how much airflow you can get when the two vents are open. Just a thought if AC is something you won't install ever or may take a while to get done.

I also like the one piece windows but that's just a personal preference and I like that look.

Finally the grille on my truck as well as the other years that have the same grille, in my opinion, is the classic vintage Chevy truck grille that everyone wants. Again just my preference and experience.

A down side for me is that the fuel tank is in the cab behind the seat and whilst I have no plans to change that any time soon (and it causes me no problems) I would prefer it under the bed.

Speaking of bed, mine's a long bed (3600) and whilst I am happy with the look and think they can be as sweet as a 3100 if done right, brake drums and wheels are a hassle. I would always prefer a 3100 but my truck was too clean and rust free to pass up. Very difficult in my part of the world to find a body as nice.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
1project2many

Rather than ask what's the most sought after, ask what typically sells for the highest price. People here are passionate about their trucks. There are stories here of pursuing the same old rusty truck for years because of a sentimental attachment. Trucks that remind us of a person, place, or time are not desired for any features of the truck so much as what they represent. Trucks purchased because they were a good deal or were the best a person could find start as a substitute for another but generally earn their place in the heart over time. In my case what was "sought after" and what was purchased carried a 20 year difference in age!

People spend years restoring these vehicles and getting to know nearly every detail. Dents, bumps, rust spots, etcetera. Or they put a huge amount of time into a custom project, built the way they want with parts and money going into building the vehicle they couldn't buy. Then you direct them to stop telling you why they like their truck and tell you which ones other people want??? You might as well try to discuss swimsuit models while your significant other is present.

Quote:
Neither is your thinking. Are you looking for a full on restoration? Are you going to build a truck with a frame swap and modern powertrain? Looking for original 4wd or aftermarket? Like a Suburban or Panel? Expensive paint and custom body work or fake patina? Fiberglass and filler ok or do you want "all steel?" Desirability is not the same as resale value (I really want that truck, but I'd never pay what they're asking), nor is it the same as collector value (My truck can't sell for that little, because it was appraised for so much more!). With no frame of reference your question is nothing more than "what truck do you like?"
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Highsider

Well said, 1project. Here is my reasoning on what's sought after...

I lived in SoCal when I was 16, in 1968. My first vehicle street-legal vehicle was a 55.5 panel. Six, three-on-the-tree, start button on the floor, no heater. I hauled my dirt bike and drove to school in it.

Jump ahead to late 2011 and I started shopping for a TF panel, 55-59.
I shopped for over a year on ebay, CL, etc. Found them in FL, WA, TX, MO. I even test drove a stock, mostly original '59 and tried to buy it. Glad we didn't make the deal.
Finally, a year ago June, I found a completed '57 in AutoTraders Classics, located off the 15, in SoCal. Hauled it 1800-miles back to Iowa.

I bought back my childhood!
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Old 10-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
meter swinger

Ive never had an AD truck, but if and when the time comes a 54/55 would be at the top of the list. A hard second would be any year AD GMC. After seeing a 58/59 fleetside I had to have one, the 54/55 grills appeal to me in the same way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread