The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Chris in Idaho

Do Vortec Engines have Billet Steel Cams?

I'm going to replace the distributor in my L29 with an Ebay/Skip White aluminum one. Most of the reviews I've read find the machining and quality control to be pretty good on these products. I know the other components like the cam position sensor, drive gear, cap/rotor will probably be the cheapest available (doesn't necessarily make them bad), so I'm trying to plan which parts to use and which to swap. I emailed and got a response back within 3 minutes. Here's the conversation:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Adam
to skip

Hi I was wondering what material the gear is made out of on your Vortec 454 distributors? I think the stock cam requires a melonized gear.
Thanks,
Chris

Skip White
The gear is at it should be. We never have an issue with this.
Jan 2 (2 days ago)

Chris Adam
Is it melonized?
12:09 PM (22 hours ago)

Skip White
No, who said it had to be?

12:35 PM (22 hours ago)
Chris Adam
General Motors, plus any engineer who ever designed an engine with a billet steel cam like the vortec engines. I'm not trying to start an argument, I've already ordered the distributor, just trying to decide which parts I want to swap before installing it. Thanks for letting me know the gear is not melonized. I think your price would be a good deal even if it was for the bare aluminum housing by itself.

12:53 PM (21 hours ago)
Skip White
Chris, the Vortec cam is not a steel billet cam. I'm about 100% sure. I could be wrong, but why would they put a billet steel cam in a oe hyd. roller cam vehicle.

1:01 PM (21 hours ago)
Skip White
to me
Chris, I have emailed Robert Lou the general mgr at Howards cams. Lets see what he says.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So have I read wrong? Do the vortec engines not have a steel billet cam? What do you guys think about me reusing the cam position sensor from my original distributor?
Chris
Chris in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
68c10owner

Re: Do Vortec Engines have Billet Steel Cams?

Can't say for your engine but pretty sure the zzz502 cam is and requires a special gear. Would not buy from Skip White anyway.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
BigBlocksRule

GM does use steel cams in their hydraulic roller engines. As for whether they're "billet", I don't know.
I bought an ebay dizzy, came with brass contacts on cap and a new module, cost less than a good cap alone and it's been fine. If it worries you, pick up a melonized piece from GM and replace it yourself, it's just held on with a drift pin.
And I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from Skip, too many red flags in his ads and attitude.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Chris in Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
I bought an ebay dizzy...
...And I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from Skip...
Who's distributor did you buy? When I looked on ebay they all looked like the Skip White ones.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
BigBlocksRule

Bought mine from KMJ Performance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-CHEVY...bfe16a&vxp=mtr
Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
speedygonzales

I'm using the cam from the ramjet 350 in my vortec
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...7395/overview/

with this distributor

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850098/overview/

If that helps
Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

For the $20 or so a melonized gear costs, just buy one and have the piece of mind that there won't be a problem. I doubt the oem cams are billet but I can't say for sure.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
bwood

Melonized gear is required on these vortecs (v6, 305,350,454). The steel cam gear will eat up a regular gear.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #9
Chris in Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
How many miles do you have on it? Did you install it as is? The descriptions are almost word for word between the KMJ ad and the Skip White ad, and the part numbers JM6672BK vs 6672-BK lead me to believe they come from the same supplier. So, if you've had good luck with yours that's good news for me too.
The reason I went with the skip white one over the KMJ one is that he lists one specifically for the big block. They are probably the same, but the KMJ one specifically says it's for a 5.7, whereas SW lists 6672BK for the 5.0 and 5.7 as well as 6673BK for the 7.4. Since I'm new to these vortec engines I wasn't sure if there's a difference so I bought the one listed for 7.4.

Anyway, I just read a couple of carcraft articles about oem hydraulic roller cams and I'm positive I want to run the melonized gear so that answers that. The only thing I need to wait and see now is if this one comes with a .427" shaft or a .491" shaft so I can buy the right gear.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
BigBlocksRule

Mine has about 25K on it, never a hiccup.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #11
Chris in Idaho

-Update-

The distributor came and looks surprisingly nice. I bought it from Skip White and it is from "Top Street Performance" who is in California, and it says made in China on the box. The cam position sensor looks identical to the oem one and has the same part number cast into the plastic in the same spot (not sure what to think of it). The gear has some sort of black finish on it and would probably work fine, but that's a moot point because I pulled out my original distributor today and the gear looks perfect. There is a shiny mesh pattern that looks great, but no real wear to speak of. I put my old gear on the new shaft, dolloped on some assembly lube (probably not necessary but made me feel good) and stuck it in the engine to find that the hold in the new hold down clamp is too small for the bolt. Looks like I'll be running the old clamp. It got dark at this point anyway.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
BigBlocksRule

That's the exact same one I have in my Tahoe. I'm building a 454 and 496 for work trucks, planning to use them in those builds as well. Brass terminals and includes a module. It's cheaper than replacement cost of those two.
The hold-down is captive, so it won't fall off. It doesn't allow much adjustment, but mine didn't need any. I took mine to my mechanic after I'd installed it to set it, he didn't have to touch it.