The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
lukin

Noob trying to figure out my grinding starter issue!!

Hey Guys,

I've got a problem with a 72 c10 that I purchased a month or so ago. This is my first older truck and I'm trying to do most of the work myself, and I've ran into a problem with the starter. The truck broke down with me on the way home from purchasing it and I've been trying to get the starter issue worked out ever since....haha.

The truck has a SBC 327 in it from an uknown year. I went to O'Reilly to get a new starter and they matched it up with the starter that I took off the truck. It's a staggard bolt position starter and from researching I think that should mean that the flexplate is 168 tooth. I put the starter on and it's making a really bad grinding noise. It does catch enough to turn the motor over and eventually start, but those teeth don't sound like they'll last long. I've shimmed it every which way possible, but still the same grinding sound.

Now I'm wondering if I've got the right flexplate starter combo. If I had a starter for a 168 tooth flexplate, but actually had a 153 tooth flexplate, would the two actually touch and grind?

Are there any other flexplates out there besides these two?
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Noob trying to figure out my grinding starter issue!!

Often the holes in the houseing were it goes up against the engine get pulled out. I have often run a big coarse file across the surface of it. This brings the teeth closer. You can check the tooth contact by removeing the screw that holds the term from the starter to the seliniod. Then when you engauge the starter it will not turn. There is a spec. for the tooth contact but I don't know what it is. Or you can remove the selinoid & engauge it by hand. Is the nose cone bushing snug with the armiture shaft?
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
lukin

Thanks for the reply. Last night I counted the teeth on the flexplate and I've got the 168 tooth flexplate....so I guess I have the right starter flexplate combo. I talked to a guy at my local starter/alternator repair shop and he said that it sounded like i needed to have the starter decked, which sounds like the same thing as you suggested. So, I'm letting that guy deck the starter and I'm going to cross my fingers that I'll get this truck running again tonight.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Wilson_

Have you checked to see if the flex plate is bent??

Northern California Group

Met list: Cyclone, KCJones, TranzAm, extd56, hotrodhomi, mnky30, Rokcrln, Brad, JerryJones, Petey-pablo, 72Subby
Wilson_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
cdowns

with starter engaged a 1/8" gap is correct spec// either use a 1/8 rod or in a pinch you can use a drill bit
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
lukin

Well, I got my starter back last night from being decked, put it on and it sounded a little better at first, but after cranking it a few times it started grinding again and eventually wouldn't even turn the motor over.

I don't think the flexplate is bent, It didn't appear to be, but I don't guess that means it isn't. This weekend I'll take the dust cover off and check the gap between the teeth.

I'm thinking about just buying a mini hi-torque starter. Seems like people have alot of good expierences with these.