The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
cousin willie

front end swap

hello all , I'm finally back to work on the 52 and got a question.I've heard about putting a mustang 2 front end under trucks like mine, but is there other front ends made by GM that someone could use to keep it all GM thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
cousin willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: front end swap

Most of the front end kits you buy actually have no real Fords in them. Some guys are still cutting the Mustang II crossmebers out of cars and using them but they are getting real hard to find in usable shape in most areas.

most of the GM stuff requires cutting the frame off behind the axle and welding a subframe or frame stub to the stock frame. While they drive good most of the time it opens up it's own can of worms.
Someone has been working on a crossmember that takes 78/84 Chevelle style A frames and pieces but I have never seen one installed.

Scott on here builds a world class complete front suspension kit but it does have a pretty stiff price attached but you get what you pay for. It may be beyond many guys truck budgets though.

The other end of the spectrum is to buy the weld it yourself crossmember from Welders series http://www.welderseries.com/blog/online-store/ws14540/ and fold it and weld it yourself and then use the MII control arms and spindles.

I had my 48 subframed at on time and although I put a lot of miles on it that way including a number of serious road trips I have to believe that the Mustang II style setup works a lot better for most guys in that you don't have the issues of sheet metal fitting, figuring out bumper brackets and or a dozen other thing that I ran into when I did mine.

I'm sure that the proponents of the S-10 frame swap will chime in but I see that as a last resort when you don't have a good stock frame to use to begin with . With the cost of those going up and the cost of rebuilding the suspension because most of them are worn out by now.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
booger1949

Re: front end swap

i also clipped my 49 an it works great but a lot of unnecessary work to get the front sheet metal back in place. i have installed a m11 for a friend of mine an had no issues an it was alot eaiser, if i had to do over again i would go with m11
booger1949 is offline   Reply With Quote