The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
warrpath4x4

starting them young 1972 K5

So a little back story, i basically grew up in a 1972 chevy C10, when my grandpa passed away my dad got it then he sold it after a bit and i had no say in the matter. In high school a friend comes pulling into the parking lot with a 1972 chevy truck that looked alot like my grandpas, i was remarking how much it looked like it (but lowered with a sunroof) i popped the glove box open and there were the stickers i put in there when i was a kid. Also in high school i had a 1970 C10 that if i knew then what i knew now i wouldnt have sold it after i blew the rear out of it.

Now to present day, i have been looking for a 69-72 blazer or a 67-72 pickup. i found a 1972 K5 for sale on a local facebook sale site. guy was asking $1900 but told someone his lowest price is $1600, when i finally got ahold of him and was able to go look at it he said it wasnt running anymore, it will run if you hold the key on but let go and it dies. It has been converted to HEI, he put a new ignition switch in the dash and still the same problem. he found the plug on the ICM were cracked and almost broke, he was going to put a new distributor in it but if i wanted it the way it is he will take the price of parts off the price of the truck.

ME: "so how much are you thinking?"

GUY: "$1200"

ME "SOLD, ill give you 6 now and 6 when i get the title" (stupid wyoming has to have a notorized title)

this thing was this guys baby, he rebuilt it 20 years ago. rebuilt the engine added HEI, trans, transfercase, rear axle, new front driveline, new exhaust, new steering box, seats re-upholstered, new black diamond suspension 2" lift (but it sits high in the front), paint job but its peeling (looks like a macco paint job). since the rebuild he has put about 5,000 miles on it. he got divorced and is moving which is why he sold it so cheap.

i will be picking it up tonight and bringing it into work to get it running this week. i am going to strip some parts from my 91 suburban to install on here like my aluminum radiator, windstar electric fans, the 3/4 ton axles and tires. i also have a trans cooler with built in electric fan to install. my dad is bringing my tubing bender out from oregon for me this summer so ill do a full cage, bumpers (ditching the front fast). save up and drop a 5.3L into it maybe next summer.

my son who is 3 has already claimed the truck, i show him pictures "thats my truck dad". My plan is to keep this thing till he is old enough to drive and hand it down to him.
warrpath4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
warrpath4x4

Re: starting them young 1972 K5

i will add the PO put the 70 grill in for the turn signals when he put the tree smasher bumper on it
warrpath4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
briank

Wow!!!! Well bought
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE= My plan is to keep this thing till he is old enough to drive and hand it down to him.[/QUOTE]

Liar
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
warrpath4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Liar
i said it was a "plan" lol
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
warrpath4x4

Got it home lastnight, when it was at his house i couldnt really see the passenger side because of the retaining wall, well there is a little rust on the passenger behind the door. Still not bad for how much i paid though.

Here are the pictures of the rusty spots

rear bumper, im going to build me a new one so if anyone is interested in this one, its repairable

the worst spot

paint bubbling up

and the PO confirmed this is original mileage.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
warrpath4x4

the proud owner

Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
warrpath4x4

wife brought him to work lastnight when i was tinkering with the blazer he runs into the shop "DADDY", then he sees the tuck and makes a 90 degree turn "MY TRUCK"

picked up a new ICM for it lastnight, ordered a new HEI capacitor with harness (nobody new what the hell i was looking for or how to find it, i ended up finding it in the BWD book) but that wont be here till friday. went down today and got the title and lisencing taken care of.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
warrpath4x4

took some numbers off the leaf springs and contacted superlift. front and rear springs are 4" lift springs...... BUT whoever put this lift on put add a leafs in the front ALONG with the 4" lift spring. so i will rip the add aleafs out and see if it levels out or if i need to mix them into the rear.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
warrpath4x4

the conversation last night

son " i want to go see daddy at daddys work"

wife "dads at home already"

son "but i wanna go to daddys work"

drove past my work

wife "see dads truck isnt there, hes at home"

son "oh"

son "WHERES MY TRUCK? WHERES MY TRUCK? I WANNA GO SEE MY TRUCK"
Old 05-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
warrpath4x4

put a new Accel distributor in lastnight, double checked top dead center, and the starter went out. pulled the starter, looked at the flex plate and it has wear on the teeth but i was hoping it would still be good. installed new starter and ....... NO. now i need to change the flex plate.

But while cleaning i did find the original manuals from 1972.

warranty paperwork

original dealer sales tag

writing still looks good on all the paperwork

Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
warrpath4x4

sunday i got the flex plate and starter changed out, i need to pull the starter and shim it. by the time i got it all back together and noticed the starter needs shimed i was so tired i just pulled it back outside
Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
warrpath4x4

been making money for the blazer by parting out my 91 burb. after this weekend the burb will be just about all gone and i can put my time back into the blazer.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
warrpath4x4

ordered up some stuff today from classic parts. new exterior mirrors, ignition switch, spacer, and bezel, headlight relay harness, and wiring diagrams for points and HEI systems.

the mirror heads just rattle around and the glass is broken. i tried to pull the ignition switch lastnight and got the bezel to come about halfway off and now it just spins, so ill probably have to break it to get it out of there.

lastnight i got the starter shimed right so it cranks nicely. got the new cap (since the new one that came on the distributor was broken in shipping) on with a new coil. still will only run in if you hold the key in the start position. diesel4me on CK5 schooled me a bit on when switching from points to HEI that points runs off 9 volts and HEI needs the whole 12 volts. so that gives me something to check out, hopefully its that simple.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrpath4x4 View Post
ordered up some stuff today from classic parts. new exterior mirrors, ignition switch, spacer, and bezel, headlight relay harness, and wiring diagrams for points and HEI systems.

the mirror heads just rattle around and the glass is broken. i tried to pull the ignition switch lastnight and got the bezel to come about halfway off and now it just spins, so ill probably have to break it to get it out of there.

lastnight i got the starter shimed right so it cranks nicely. got the new cap (since the new one that came on the distributor was broken in shipping) on with a new coil. still will only run in if you hold the key in the start position. diesel4me on CK5 schooled me a bit on when switching from points to HEI that points runs off 9 volts and HEI needs the whole 12 volts. so that gives me something to check out, hopefully its that simple.
Not sure if you pulled the cylinder out 1st but if you didn't that is why the bezel wont come off. Here is a link to how to remove it without breaking it.

Richard

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=272795
\
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #16
warrpath4x4

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

this morning i came into the shop and pulled the suburban in, pulled the engine and all wiring, the visor, and the cowl induction hood off. guy came and picked up the hood and another guy (of course at the same time) showed up and bought the engine. +500 for the blazer budget.

then i pulled the blazer in, i knew i had to level it out before i tried the jump wire on the distributor. because i know me and if it runs i want to drive it and it was kinda scary steering it with the front end so much higher and the steering out of adjustment.

heres what i pulled out of the front

and the shackle angle still sucks, but it is better

still sits about half an inch higher in the front than the rar but im fine with that because i am going to build a better front bumper and add my winch.

so then onto getting it running. i just hooked a jumper wire from the distributor to the battery and had it held on by a clip. she started and ran for about 5 seconds (still need to set the timing). so i got some wire, in-line fuse, and an aircraft switch (i already had all of it). there was already a hole in the lower dash below and next to the ignition switch, so i just mounted the switch there, hooked it all up, and she fires right up as soon as you hit the key........ and the switch lol.

i have to thank diesel4me for helping with the electrical issue.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #17
warrpath4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
Not sure if you pulled the cylinder out 1st but if you didn't that is why the bezel wont come off. Here is a link to how to remove it without breaking it.

Richard

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=272795
\
i dont remember having to pull the tumbler out of my 70 chevy but then again that was longer ago than i care to figure out. thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #18
warrpath4x4

got a handful of things done after work today, borrowed a timing light (mines still in Oregon) and got it timed, got the plates put on it. the passenger headlight wasn't working so i went and bought some new ones, still didn't work, started testing the wires for power and found where 2 of them had been pinched and cut. fixed the wires and now i have headlights.

decided to drive it home for the first time, man was the kid excited to see his truck at home. ran pretty good, fuel gauge doesn't work right and the temp gauge doesn't work at all.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
warrpath4x4

anybody have any pics of the passenger seat latch? mine is missing, the seat just flops back and fourth. i know there are 2 different styles of latches, mine has the release on the side that slides to the side.

also if anyone has a spare one they want to get rid of?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #20
warrpath4x4

one of the guys on CK5 showed me what i needed, now i just need to find the latch piece that bolts to the floor for mine
Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
warrpath4x4

i was busy ordering parts yesterday lol.

put an order into to PMA4x4 for a sealed relay box, summit racing for a thermal switch for the tranny cooler fan and another thermal switch for the windstar fans, a steel truck box for the rear so i have lockable storage with the top off. found a seat bracket i need from a jlmerie.

my order from classic parts will be here today with my mirrors and new ignition switch
Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #22
warrpath4x4

Saturday i was called into work so i figured id start working a day early to swap my radiator and electric fans in. my aluminum radiator from my 91 burb wouldnt fit so i put the old radiator back in for now till i can buy one that fits. i got my trans cooler with built in fan installed, the windstar fans installed (only one wired in the pic), new water pump since when i took the flex fan off i could tell the shaft was moving, relay box installed, thermo temp sender for the fans, and a new temp sender for the gauge (then found out my gauge doesnt work). i need to clean up my wiring when i get a day, been rushed.

yesterday after work i put an aftermarket electric temp gauge in and installed a rear view mirror, i hate trying to re-install a rear view mirror that has fallen off the glass because they never stay so i ordered one for a 67-70 that screws to the windshield frame.

then we went from 70's and 80's to this yesterday afternoon/evening

Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
warrpath4x4

i got a tool box in the back of the blazer (no pic yet) but havnt bolted it down yet, playing with exactly where to mount it.

other than that i have just been enjoing driving it, it has been my daily driver the last few weeks.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
warrpath4x4

the box i put in the back is an "International TB-30D 45-Inch Utility Box " i bought it on amazon for $125

its not bolted in place yet

took the top off yesterday to watch the fireworks, i love driving it with no top. my kid comes out after the top was off "you made me a monster truck!".

watching the fireworks lastnight

i tried to be all artistic with a blackberry cell phone and try to catch the fireworks over the blazer without the top...... it didnt work so well lol.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #25
warrpath4x4

this wasnt even what the town was doing, this was just the locals (click on pic)