The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #126
MDPotter

Re: 1972 Medium Olive SWB Driver Build-“Chester”

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Oh and back in November I broke down and purchased a 4-post lift. Let me tell you its a total game changer!
My dad finally got one, the exact same one as yours actually and I totally agree. Using it now is like, "how did we ever do this before?" or "how were we going to do this without the lift?"
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #127
SCOTI

Quote:
Its not a racetruck so hopefully I'll be fine
LoL…. Neither was the one I was driving. But, I still killed the trans in spectacular fashion just from leaning a little too hard on the go pedal.

Motor was a dyno'd 300hp/350. When we swapped it in place, there was a Gentleman's Agreement that there would be ZERO clutch dumps & ZERO 1/2 hard shifts. I did neither. I did a normal 1/2 shift w/the rpms about like what you'd expect getting on the highway. While in 2nd, I leaned on the pedal a little harder than probably required to merge & BOOM. What a mess it made.

Quote:
It's a '91 5.0/5-spd w/75k miles. Car was basically stock when I bought it. Currently its got full exhaust, 17" Ponies, and full Ridetech suspension. I have 3.73s and a tubular GT40 intake for it. I've got a few other plans for it as well.
Good lookin car & the upgrades sound nice!

I had a 93 SSP car from Austin TX. 100k miles, White/Red, 5spd, manual locks/window car w/too many holes to count in the dash/console. I lowered it, did a 5-lug conversion, Bigs & Littles, shorties + Hooker 2.5" H-pipe off-road exhaust, CAI, UD pulleys, & interior re-fresh (dash repair, console replacement, seat inserts, carpet cleaned, headliner, map pockets deleted, & flush package tray w/speakers mounted under the package tray deck).

Fun little cars for DD stuff around town. The Hooker exhaust was set up perfectly w/a slip fit assembly just after it passed over the rear end. I had the OE style LX straight tip look in 2.5" pipe & a 2nd set-up we made that was the 2.5" tubing into a SS 3" short tip that you could barely see on either side of the gas tank. It freakin' sounded wicked w/those 3" stubby dumps. The howl that came during the 1/2/3 3500rpm shfts was bliss. All in such a sedate everyday reliable ride.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #128
cjohnson6772

After putting more miles on it, how would you rate the StreetGrip kit ride and overall feel? I'm not autocrossing, but I would like a comfortable ride and good handling for spirited back road cruises. Thank you in advance.
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #129
LT7A

Great truck and great setup. Not my place to advise, but I think that 350 would be a great way to keep a more traditional theme to that truck, especially when you switch the Billet Specialties wheels over to the 67. It would be easy for that truck to start to get in the way of your "real" project if it gobbles up the whole drivetrain.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #130
slowcpe

Apparently it's been a little while since I've logged in. Truck is still running decent but the engine is starting to get a little tired. I've been continually debating which route to go, and while I'm not 100%, I'm back leaning towards the LS due to the drivability and fun factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 View Post
After putting more miles on it, how would you rate the StreetGrip kit ride and overall feel? I'm not autocrossing, but I would like a comfortable ride and good handling for spirited back road cruises. Thank you in advance.
I love the kit. The truck rides really good and handling is too bad. You won't win any autocross competitions but on ramps and backroads are pretty fun. If I go LS I could see me eventually upgrading to their coilover kit. I absolutely love the coilovers on my Mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Great truck and great setup. Not my place to advise, but I think that 350 would be a great way to keep a more traditional theme to that truck, especially when you switch the Billet Specialties wheels over to the 67. It would be easy for that truck to start to get in the way of your "real" project if it gobbles up the whole drivetrain.
The '67 is long gone, has an LS in it and is sea foam. Not the route I was going, but turned out to be a beautiful truck. I like the simplicity of the 350 but I do think the LS/t56 will be a more usable drivetrain for what I like doing with the truck.

I guess I can't make a post without some pics. Again nothing new to the truck other than putting some miles on it. Last year I think I logged about 3000 miles, this year unfortunately its more like 1000. I decided to upgrade my daily F150 to one of my dream trucks. The newness hasn't quite worn off yet.

I did take the truck out a couple of times last week which has kind of motivated me to get the ball rolling on winter plans.

Went to get dinner and ice cream this past week

Cool shot a buddy's wife took on our way back from getting plants for the front of the house.

Annual local cruise-in me and my high school buddies go to every year.

My other "distraction". Drove over 500 miles roundtrip to Jackson, TN for Ford Takeover.

Sorry for all the Fords, but I was fortunate to be in a position to obtain one of my dream vehicles and its pulling our summer hobby.

1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #131
GSFMECH
On the road

This is a great build, I love this truck, its perfect. I especially like the old paint.

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #132
slowcpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFMECH View Post
This is a great build, I love this truck, its perfect. I especially like the old paint.
Thank you!

Well work on the truck might begin sooner than expected. Took the truck out Saturday night for a local cruise-in since it was a nice night and came home with no front brakes. While heading down a busy road someone in front of me stopped short causing me to get on the brakes harder than normal. On my factory tach dash (not original to the truck) I noticed the "Tandem Lock" light came on. Thought it was weird but didn't think nothing of it. I kept driving and noticed the brakes were starting to feel a little funny. When we stopped to get ice cream I popped the top off of the master cylinder and noticed one of the reservoirs was empty. I was able to limp the truck home safely but I haven't had a chance to look at it. I'm guessing I blew a brake line or fitting. Hopefully one day this week I'll swap vehicles and get it up on the lift to see what's wrong. I might go ahead and take this opportunity to upgrade the brakes.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:34 PM   #133
PowerdbyChevy79

Just read the entire thread. Any new updates??
1979 C10 Silverado "The BIG TEN" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841339
1982 C10 Silverado "Lucy"
C10 Club Texas -HMIC
PowerdbyChevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote