The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Mgicm

Airride lines to gauges

If you have your airride tank and compressors under the bed floor, how are people running the lines for the gauges. DO you come under the cab or rear wall of cab and run into cab ..or do you run to firewall and then inside cab? Trying to see if you run them through the rear of the cab ..do you run them on the floor to gauges on the dash? Thanks
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
47 Fasttoys

Re: Airride lines to gauges

In my case I have 5 lines run through the fire wall.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Mgicm

So how did you run the lines..along frame rail..? ANY photos? ANYONE ran inside cab?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
dsraven

I would say it is personal preference but use bulkhead fittings through the sheet metal for nice, clean, chaff free look. use small line to use less air up but give accurate reading.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post
So how did you run the lines..along frame rail..? ANY photos? ANYONE ran inside cab?
if you have asphalt sound deadening on the floor, or even if you just have bare steel under the carpet, run a line of duct tape where the lines will run, it will keep them from embedding to the sound deadening material and if you have bare floors it will keep them from chafing on the floor.

run the lines in through a big rubber grommet, not plastic, try and get it as close to the floor as you can to keep it from kinking. once you have the lines run, pull them apart and squirt silicone around each line, so you end up with a nice soft plug.

run lines away from stepping zones. down the middle is nice if you dont have a middle seat. almost no one steps right next to the sill plates either. if you run them down the side or if you plan to have middle seat passengers, its best to put the lines in a wire run enclosure, dont buy a fancy one, just go to a salvage yard and pull the carpet back, you can get nice ones from just about any car and the guys wont charge a lot if anything.

remember that gauges carry the full pressure of the bags and tank, and a leak there is a leak in the bags or tank.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
Mgicm

what do you mean a wire run enclosure exactly..like a plastic channel which covers the lines? Im just afraid of someone stepping on or kicking the lines. thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
joedoh

yep, a wire channel

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #8
LEEVON

I have manual valves in the dash and a tank under the bed, so I have two lines coming in and four going out. I came in under the cab by drilling a hole approximately 1" at the bottom of the lower A pillar on the flat inside edge and running the lines up behind the kick panels. There is a hole at the top of the kick panel that allowed me to run them hidden up high in the dash. I split rubber hoses where they go through and zip tie it around them to prevent rubbing. The only hard part was fishing the lines up from the bottom cab through the kick panels. I secured them to the frame at about 2' intervals and also used the split hose wherever there was a transition or rub.