The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Mains52

Drop Axle ?

Hey guys I am just wondering if anyone out there has a drop axle they are wanting to get rid of. I don't have permission to post on the classifieds yet.
I have know clue what axles will work with the 52 3100 so you guys let me know what to look for if there are none on here for sale.
Thanks
Mains52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
nail pounder

Re: Drop Axle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mains52 View Post
Hey guys I am just wondering if anyone out there has a drop axle they are wanting to get rid of. I don't have permission to post on the classifieds yet.
I have know clue what axles will work with the 52 3100 so you guys let me know what to look for if there are none on here for sale.
Thanks
Look up Nostalgia Sid's. I used his 3" drop axel on my 58. It's a cost effective alternative to IFS and easy to install. When I took it to get aligned the old guy told me it was a quality axel, and just adjusted the toe a bit, I had it pretty close. As you probably know with a solid axel they actually have to bend the axel to adjust the camber if needed. Sid can sell you caster shims, u bolts, tie rods and more. I did the axel, heavy duty tie rod and ends, drag link, had him install my spindles with new king pins. He is also available to take phone calls or texts if you run into issues. He's a solid dude.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mains52 View Post
I don't have permission to post on the classifieds yet.
go to User CP on the top menu, then under Miscellaneous on the left menu select paid memberships. choose the one that makes sense and pay the subscription cost and viola! you have classifieds permissions.

posting a want ad without paying for a subscription though is frowned on, its not going to be around long. and now you know.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
agnes the dog

I've also used Sid. He's a great guy. I was having issues with bumpsteer and he guided me through the whole process. Make sure you get your steering arm modified and a new drag link when you do the drop axle. Just send yours to him and he'll fix it. I didn't know what to expect when I called, but Sid actually answers the phone. +1 on being a solid guy.

EDIT - Just saw you have a 52. Not sure how the AD steering is set up. I have a 59. If you call Sid, ask him what you'll need. He'll fix you up.

1959 3100 stepside 355 + T5

Last edited by agnes the dog; 12-21-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Realized different year truck
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Mains52

I will probably go with Sids. From what I can tell guys that have them usually hold onto them.
Thanks Nail Pounder
Old 12-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
Mains52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
go to User CP on the top menu, then under Miscellaneous on the left menu select paid memberships. choose the one that makes sense and pay the subscription cost and viola! you have classifieds permissions.

posting a want ad without paying for a subscription though is frowned on, its not going to be around long. and now you know.
I figured as much but that's ok. Sorry if anyone is mad. I didn't know what the process was.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
mr48chev

Another comment on Sid. He will either do your axle (that takes time because it takes a number and gets in line) or sell you an axle outright and charge you the core deposit or you send your axle in as a core. The only people I have ever seen fuss are those who sent their axle in and wanted their exact axle back and complained about the wait time. That is on any and all boards that I am on.

But who knows, someone may have one that they are pulling out and contact you via PM.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Another comment on Sid. He will either do your axle (that takes time because it takes a number and gets in line) or sell you an axle outright and charge you the core deposit or you send your axle in as a core. The only people I have ever seen fuss are those who sent their axle in and wanted their exact axle back and complained about the wait time. That is on any and all boards that I am on.

But who knows, someone may have one that they are pulling out and contact you via PM.
Good point mr48. I opted to buy one of his and when it was ready he called me, I removed mine and sent it to him to swap the spindles and do king pins. He was 8-10 weeks out when I called to place a deposit, but he called me in about 6-7weeks ready for mine. I was only without an axel for about a week and a half. Removing the axel only took a couple hours, installing, packing bearings etc took a bit longer.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
DrKrankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post

He told me yesterday he was not doing this anymore, said people would not send back axles or sent in junk
DrKrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:44 AM   #10
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKrankenstein View Post
He told me yesterday he was not doing this anymore, said people would not send back axles or sent in junk
Really? I had to send him my old one before he send the new one.