The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2019, 12:39 AM   #1
Cruisin'

Question Central Lock Issue - Random unlocking/locking/unlocking

Hi,
my '97 GMC has been giving me a bit of grief of late, electrical and mechanical...
The current issue is the central locking system.
I recently had a new passenger door mechanism fitted, as it wouldn't open from the inside.
Over the last week, both the door locking mechanisms have been randomly unlocking, on and off several times, then again a few hours later, day in day out.. for the last few days.
I have had 2 flat batteries over the last few months and was wondering if it's a case of buy a new battery...???
Or, is it something else doing this??

Has me beat...
Anyone experienced this or know how to fix it?
Any help would be appreciated.

First it was the indicators and interior lights randomly going off (I just pulled the fuse) this was ages ago and yet to sort that as the truck was my daily work transport.

Then the aircon actuator linkage fell apart, I am yet to sort that as I can't reach easily enough up under the dash to put it back together... I will work on that... almost need 3 hands..

I now have my other work vehicle fixed as a back up.

Any pointers or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
David
Cruisin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Central Lock Issue - Random unlocking/locking/unlocking

It sounds like you have some short(s) in your wiring somewhere. For the doors, I would start at the door you replaced the switch on. Look for some wirings rubbing, bare. Tracing random electrical issues is a real pain for sure. Good luck with it and the other issues.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
Suburban Steve

It sounds like you have some short(s) in your wiring somewhere. For the doors, I would start at the door you replaced the switch on. Look for some wirings rubbing, bare. Tracing random electrical issues is a real pain for sure. Good luck with it and the other issues.

The only problem I see in this would be that the "shorted wires" must be the EXACT 3 to cause both lock and unlock.. The locks work on a reverse polarity which basically means that for the system to work, wire the lock wire in energized w 12volts the opposite wire must see a ground.

With that said, you never know with electrical issues... Take a look at your actual switches I assume one is shorting out internally
Suburban Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Suburban Steve

OR...... alarm system? or factory keyless entry after thinking about it, this is most likely cause
Suburban Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

I'm going to assume you're 100% positive the new door locking module replaced in isn't grounding out somewhere from the install, it's properly spliced with weatherproof/self-sealing beans or butt connectors or the stock connectors in good shape and not just twisted together and taped? When people start saying events are "Random", normally a short (unexpected ground) is happening somewhere. Whether that's under your dash from an aftermarket alarm, at the newly installed part, or at the control board itself ... options are limited, but still plenty.

If you removed the door lock/window control panel that sits in the door card when you swapped out things, that would be my first suspect, for whichever door it was removed.

First thing I'd do is remove the suspected panel, pop off the three harness bulkheads, check for bent pins, re-plug making sure it's firmly seated.

If no joy, you should literally be able to go to Pull-a-Part (or similar junkyard) and find a replacement control panel for under $20 to swap in temporarily and see if it works. If not, re-sell on eBay if you want to recoup, or return for a credit and find something else on the yard worthwhile.

If the none of the above works - that's just the way I'd attack it! - then I would start digging under the dash as suggested.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 08-26-2019 at 08:48 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote