The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
55Trucker

55.2 Starter question

Hi all - I have a 1955.2 3100, 4-speed, 235 L6. For the past few years the starter engages about half the time, and I've finally gotten around to figuring out what's going on. The problem is, when I press the floor starter button the starter gear doesn't seem to engage - I hear a higher pitched whirring sound. Try it again, and the gear engages and the starter cranks and the engine starts.

The starter itself does not have an external solenoid, and before I remove the starter and open it up, I'm hoping someone can point be in the right direction.

Thank you, John
55Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 55.2 Starter question

I'd want to think that the clutch inside the starter drive is worn to the point it won't engage even some times. That would be a simple take the starter apart, buy a new drive (Bendix in some hoods) and check the brushes and bushings.

Outside of buying the pieces online you may have to go to a generator/alternator/starter shop to get the parts as I am not seeing them either on the O'Reilly's page or Napa. Doesn't mean that Napa can't get them they just don't show them online.
I've been getting my starter and alternator parts from a local automotive electrical shop that does a lot of rebuilding on pieces for older rigs. The owner asked me if I knew of someone who might be interested in buying the company a while back as it seems that his son isn't capable of running the business. I don't know if they are in operation now or not.

Rock auto shows all the parts to be available but you do need the number off the tag of the starter to make sure you get the correct drive.

If you have never changed the bushings in a Delco starter I can walk you though it if need be.

One more thing, if you just got the truck lately and haven't driven it before you might want to take a good look at the ring gear on the flywheel to see that the teeth aren' chewed up or missing. A bad starter drive can chew up the ring gear teeth.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
55Trucker

Thank you for all of your insights.

I just took the starter off. The small part of the flywheel that I see through the starter mounting hole doesn't look bad to me. I've attached a picture of the starter gear. I can't find any identifying marks on the starter with the exception of what looks like "481" in the cast. How would I know if the bushings need replacing? I guess I need an education on how one of these starters works

[IMG]c:\temp\img_0434.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
55Trucker

Yikes, clearly I don't know how to add an image, help!
Old 06-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
mr48chev

Adding photos is pretty simple:

Click the go advanced tab beside the post quick reply tab

Click on the paper clip to the right of the happy face

When the other window opens hit choose file

If you have slow internet it's best to "upload" each photo up to five and you will see a line shows that the photo is uploaded then select and upload the next. A pain but I have to do it on the internet I have and can seldom upload two photos at one time and never can do five at home.

At the bottom of that upload page there should be a line that shows you what percentage of the photo has loaded and then says waiting for the truck board.

It took about five minutes to get these photos loaded now.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
55Trucker

I did it!

Name:  IMG_0434.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  39.7 KB
Old 06-17-2020, 12:35 AM   #7
starterman99

The gear looks good but the clutch part can be weak. If you turn the gear and not the shaft, the gear should lock up in counter clockwise rotation and slip with resistance turning clockwise. if it spins freely or easily in clockwise direction the clutch is bad.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:25 AM   #8
mr48chev

It can't be said any better than what he wrote there. The inside of the drive is an overrunning clutch with rollers that catch in the narrow part of the groove they are in when the armature spins. Either or the grooves wear enough they don't catch well than not at all if they wear enough.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
55Trucker

Thank you! This information is very helpful. I'll remove the clutch assembly today so I can match it against what Rock Auto shows (there seems to be at least 3 types).

Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
55Trucker

More pics - does the edge of that armature look right? It looks like it's been burned or melted. Is that normal? Also, the gear does lock up when turned counter clockwise when looking at the body of the starter from the end of the shaft. It doesn't spin freely (if I flick it with my finger it doesn't spin) when spun clockwise, but there is very little resistance when I move it with my finger. Is the clutch therefore bad and be the whirring symptom I mentioned in the original post?
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
_Ogre

your starter may have gotten a little warm during a long crank session. if it's working (other than the bendix) leave it alone. the bendix doesn't freewheel, it should take a little effort to turn. even if the bendix locks one direction it's probably slipping under the load of cranking the motor, cuz what you describe is a slipping bendix. just replace it.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
55Trucker

Thank you. Any advice for how to get that snap ring off?
Old 06-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #13
starterman99

The armature looks normal. A lot of old Delco armatures have that burnt look on the winding at the drive end. Remove the thrust washer pay attention to the direction it goes on. It has a small flange to the snap ring side. use a 1/2 inch deep socket or similar to go over shaft and tap the retaining ring toward the drive gear.Then lay shaft on solid surface and use a small screwdriver to work ring out of groove and off end of shaft.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #14
mr48chev

Just remember to put the retaining ring on and in the right direction before putting the snap ring back on after you put the new drive on.

Starterman may have a better method of getting the retainer popped back over the snap ring.

I have the special tool hidden somewhere in my tool box that I bought in the 70's but you can use two pair of 6 inch slip joint pliers to pop the retainer back over the snap ring if the snap ring is pretty snug on the shaft.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #15
55Trucker

Thanks everyone for your help.