The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2022, 03:06 AM   #1
1966 K10

6 lug Budd hubs

Will be needing new tires for the new 64 C60 in the near future. Currently running 20 in 6 lug Budd RH5 wheels with 10x20 tires, while new tires are not an issue getting a tech to change out the split wheels is impossible. Debating swapping hubs vs entire axles to 10 lug so some regular tubeless tires/wheels could be used and have more variety of sizes.

Has anyone tackled anything like this on these old beasts?

If not my cheapest option is 2.5 ton military split ring wheels. At least I can take care of mounting myself.
Attached Images

1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
factorystock

Re: 6 lug Budd hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 K10 View Post
getting a tech to change out the split wheels is impossible.
I would deal with commercial truck tire dealers only, they should be able deal with your rims.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:39 AM   #3
350TacoZilla

Keep thinking some school buses had those 6 lug hubs with tubeless tires but its going to be a treasure hunt.

This would be pricey but would get you modern stuff and from then on be easy to find replacement tires.

https://buytruckwheels.com/products/...pe#MainContent
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:27 PM   #4
Dawgy

Hey 1966 K10
I hope some of the information I have gathered over the years can help.
I have two 1963 two ton trucks. A Chevrolet C60 and a GMC 4400.
The C60 has the RH5 wheels (widow Makers) and the 4400 has the 6 Lug Budd wheels with the outer locking ring. The outer locking ring can be serviced by the commercial truck tire places. I change most of my own tires but I don't like working on the 20" wheels. When I air up my tires I custom made a tire gage with a 25' hose between the gage and the locking valve stem end. Able to air up from a distance. A couple of things to think about is when a RH5 wheel is still mounted on the truck the front and inside rear if they were to let go would blow towards the truck frame. The outside rear would blow towards the person filling the air. I always stay to the side a little bit to be in a safer location even with the long gage.
Options I have considered are:
The 22.5 six lug Budd wheels can be found on the older F600 trucks. They fit the hubs perfect but I have not verified the back spacing for the Duel rears.
The second is cutting out the 10 lug centers and welding to the 22.5 outers. This is what I plan for my C60 wheels.
Hopefully this helps some.
Dawgy is offline   Reply With Quote