The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Electricduane

89 Suburban: correct door jamb switches??

Hello: several web sites, including Amazon, indicated to me that this type of door jamb switch (attached) is the correct one for my 89 burb.

I'm pretty much positive this is incorrect. When I installed it and carefully began to close the door, I saw that it is not correct. At least I believe it is incorrect. The spring/ plunger thing does not travel far enough. In other words, if I were to slam the door on it, I'm pretty sure it would simply punch through the inner edge metal of the door frame. It looks to me like the plunger/spring thing should be able to move/compress farther, such that when the door closes it would be nearly flush with the silver nut portion of the switch mechanism. The black tubing doesn't really help that problem.

I assume this must be the correct door jamb switch for a later generation(s) of Suburbans.

I would appreciate any advice or input on this subject, especially part numbers for the correct door jamb switches. It's a minor but kind of annoying thing that my lights don't come on when I open the doors. It's especially annoying that something like this that should be so simple becomes complicated when websites/companies that should know better send you the wrong part. Thanks!
Attached Images

Electricduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: 89 Suburban: correct door jamb switches??

Parts like that I will cross-reference on Rockauto and Autozone and see if they agree and compare prices. Did you check either of them?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
Front Range

RockAuto

Several types of replacements with the AC Delco at the bottom.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
Electricduane

I will stop by Autoaone and ask. . but in the link that Front Range posted, the metal ones are identical to the ones I bought (see photo). Unless I am a complete blooming idiot (a fact I have proven several times over), it is not correct. . it will not allow the door to shut completely. The plunger thing should be able to depress further. . . maybe I should jus try the plastic type?

But the old ones in my truck more closely resemble the metal type. . . but the plunger travels all the way down/flush, so that the door can close all the way.

This is car restoration, isn't it? The dumbest/simplest **** ends up taking hours and multiple trips to the parts store. . .
Old 10-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
Front Range

Can you post a picture of your old one?

These old trucks take patience. I spent a week recently chasing a part throttle downshift glitch, pain in the a$$ figuring that one out. There have been several times I felt like selling my trucks off and just buying a new vehicle. It can be frustrating.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Ski-me

I think the generic one you have is longer than the factory one. I bought one and made it work but if I recall correctly, it sticks out a little bit more.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
Electricduane

Sorry it took so long-

Afternarket is on top, OEM one is below. You can see how the afternarket one is too long...

http://imgur.com/gAgAxBh
http://imgur.com/sLMmMld
Old 10-10-2016, 03:33 AM   #8
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricduane View Post
Hello: several web sites, including Amazon, indicated to me that this type of door jamb switch (attached) is the correct one for my 89 burb.

I'm pretty much positive this is incorrect. When I installed it and carefully began to close the door, I saw that it is not correct. At least I believe it is incorrect. The spring/ plunger thing does not travel far enough. In other words, if I were to slam the door on it, I'm pretty sure it would simply punch through the inner edge metal of the door frame. It looks to me like the plunger/spring thing should be able to move/compress farther, such that when the door closes it would be nearly flush with the silver nut portion of the switch mechanism. The black tubing doesn't really help that problem.

I assume this must be the correct door jamb switch for a later generation(s) of Suburbans.

I would appreciate any advice or input on this subject, especially part numbers for the correct door jamb switches. It's a minor but kind of annoying thing that my lights don't come on when I open the doors. It's especially annoying that something like this that should be so simple becomes complicated when websites/companies that should know better send you the wrong part. Thanks!
This will indeed work in your door jamb. It is designed to self adjust to the proper length when you close the door.
If you look closely at the switch, you will see a sleeve that runs thru the nut. When you close the door the door will contact the button of the switch which will bottom out against the sleeve and will push the sleeve in until the door is completely closed.
Since it is a very tight fit inside the nut, once it's set it shouldn't move again.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Electricduane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN View Post
This will indeed work in your door jamb. It is designed to self adjust to the proper length when you close the door.
If you look closely at the switch, you will see a sleeve that runs thru the nut. When you close the door the door will contact the button of the switch which will bottom out against the sleeve and will push the sleeve in until the door is completely closed.
Since it is a very tight fit inside the nut, once it's set it shouldn't move again.
See, I never would have known that, I thought it would just punch a hole in the side of my door. I will install and try it. Many thanks for the reply!