The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #51
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: 6 to 8 swap advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave`12 View Post
no photo yet, but it seems to line up with the therm housing. would never have guessed.
Yeah, if I recall, the earlier long-pump alternator brackets worked this way. Until GM realized it didn't make sense to remove the alternator just to change the thermostat... and cast a new boss into the intake and reformed the alternator bracket so the thermostat could be removed more easily.

Examples...

Thermostat mount -- note the longer "ear" on the bracket:

Intake mount:
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #52
dave`12

Thanx, Storm. Top pick is me for sure. I would have never guessed.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #53
dave`12

Thought I would toss in an update. @storm - gotpulley (the guy on ebay) hooked me up with the brackets and I have them all installed now. The alt. did go to the therm housing. I could not figure out one of the brackets for the powersteering and called gotpulley (Jim). So he tells me it hooks up to the motormount bolt and the exhaust manifold. Crazy, but it worked.

whoever put my powersteering on had the pulley reversed (when it was an I6), so I'm going to borrow a puller and reverse it. Once I fix that, I will post a picture of the pulley setup. Hoping it will all line up, but I think I will.

The z-bar doesn't clear the headers. I cut off the lower arm. I'm having someone weld it in a position that will not interfere - I figured that will be better than adding a couple of bends.

Bought a 4 core radiator, shroud, and clutch fan. Finished rebuilding a used holley 650, and got an HEI ready to drop in.

So I'm getting closer.

Still debating on the exhaust. I have summit long headers. I may go cheap and dump in front of the rear wheels - this is costing way more than I had anticipated.

If anyone knows of a good kit for the exhaust, I would like to check it out. Thanx
Old 07-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #54
mooseboy84

There are many different kinds of headers, but for ease of installation and changing of spark plugs, ram horn exhaust are the best option. I would like to get a set myself because of what a pain headers are.

RAM HORN EXHAUST. Best bet for spark plugs and compression test, doesn't put as much heat on the starter and overall look cool. If you can, get a set that has an 02 bung already welded in them, so if you add an AF guage, you dont have to tap it.

Now I just need to buy some....
mooseboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #55
dave`12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseboy84 View Post
There are many different kinds of headers, but for ease of installation and changing of spark plugs, ram horn exhaust are the best option. I would like to get a set myself because of what a pain headers are.

RAM HORN EXHAUST. Best bet for spark plugs and compression test, doesn't put as much heat on the starter and overall look cool. If you can, get a set that has an 02 bung already welded in them, so if you add an AF guage, you dont have to tap it.

Now I just need to buy some....
I was going to get ram horn and I let a friend and the summit racing operator that was taking my call talk me into the headers. Oh well, no turning back now.

If you looking for the ramhorns, check summit.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #56
dave`12

Question for those of you that have done this before. Can I reuse my starter from the 250? It bolts on and I used the flywheel from the 6, so I'm not worried about the teeth, but rather I don't know if the length will be correct. Afraid I might need washers, or a new starter.

thanx
Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #57
Shady Rascal

You can absolutely reuse the six cylinder starter on the V8
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #58
dave`12

Thought I would drop an update. Progress has been slow due to long hours at work and limited funds. This is costing way more than I estimated.

Finally got the front of the engine done. The pulleys with the aftermarket a/c and power steering were a pain - and expensive.

Dropped in the HEI today. I have about a 1/2 inch clearance, so shady rascal is proven correct (as I figured).

Bumped the starter to get it to TDC, so I know that won't be an issue, rascal's right again, as expected.

The air cleaner is just on there for testing, I was afraid it would hit the HEI, it almost did. I still have some plumbing on the carb and other work to do there (and my fittings turned out to be the wrong ones). My bottom radiator hose didn't line up either, and I still need some odds and ends, but I'm getting close.

Can't seem to get the last of the old gas out of the tank, I don't want it in there, so that's up next.

Oh, and the hoses sitting on the HEI will be moved.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #59
dave`12

Quick update.

The engine started and shook the whole neighborhood (in a good way). Has straight headers now, so that was expected.

It got hot on me pretty quick (headers glowed, quite scary). Played with the timing and mixture. I'm at 10 before now, and I think I have the mixture/float etc. where I want them. Headers quit glowing 

Ran beautiful, but got hot. Shut it off and found the weep hole on the wp was leaking. Also, I had forgotten to tighten the therm housing Yeah, pretty stupid, but the bracket for the alternator goes there, and I had left it loose because it needed to slide back and forth to get the alternator to line up.

So the front of the engine came apart again. That's what I get for using a waterpump that was given to me!

On the same front, my free fuel pump was a fail, I ended up bypassing it and putting in an electric one. Geezz no wonder that stuff was free.

Oh, and I realized that my starter wires were too close to the headers, so I will be rewiring that up with a heat sleeve.

So the front of the motor is back together again with a new waterpump. What a pain finding the right one, but I did, and only had to drill out one hole to make it work. (the powersteering hooked up different, I needed a non threaded hole - long story...

Then I found it would not shift. I have a separate thread on that, but long story short, I ended up removing the tranny 2 more times until I figured out it was the pilot bushing. Got it now. Hoping to start it Sunday and drive around the block. Hoping it won't overheat now. Crossing my fingers.

Thanx for all your help, past and probably future.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #60
dave`12

I know everyone like pics, thought I would dump a few for fun.

For everyone who says it was better before:
Attached Images

dave`12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #61
Shady Rascal

Solid work brother. Nice to see you persevered through all of the issues.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #62
dave`12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Rascal View Post
Thanx. There have been times I thought I had bit off more than I could chew!
Old 12-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #63
dave`12

Drove it around the block a couple of times, not overheating anymore. Runs sweet! Still have some loose ends to tie up, but feeling pretty good. Oh, and the a/c blows cold (that's a biggie in Miami).

I'm waiting on some sleeves to protect my plug wires and a couple of new boots, they got damaged on my initial start that got super hot (glowing headers) until I got the fuel mixture and timing dialed in.

Then I'll take it on a nice drive to see how it is running.

Just in time for Christmas!
Old 12-19-2016, 12:58 AM   #64
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Rascal View Post
What he said!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote