The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Ewr101

Little Bit of Maintenance and a Question

With the holidays so close the wife asked that a keep and upgrades to a minimum to save some money so I tried to accommodate but still managed to spend too much! Haha! I decided it was time to re build my brakes front and rear. New bearings, hardware, pads, shoes, drums and rotors, wheel cylinders, the works. Probably didn't NEED it all but I don't know when it was done last and I've had the Blazer almost two years now.

Learned a few things along the way that are probably common knowledge but we're new to me. First, the shorter lined brake shoe goes towards the front. Found that out after the fact and when I took both the rear wheels back off, sure enough, one was backwards. Also, check the star wheels on the rear if you're having adjustment problems. Mine were worn down to the point they didn't make good contact with adjusters. I wouldn't have even known if I didn't have new ones to compare them with. Secondly, I think I have a restricted brake line going to the right rear wheel. In the process of bleeding it took several sets before needing to refill the master cyclinder with fluid. When I was done with the right, I saw on the left that I had a leak. Took everything a part and saw nothing obvious. Put it all back together and bled that side. It only took one or two sets till the MC needed refilling and the brake pedal felt a little easier to press. The fronts were the same and went quickly. Last ly on the brakes, keep bleeding! It take a while to get all the old fluid displaced with new! I spent a good hour and half even with the speed bleeders. Just keep at it. The Blazer stops on a dime now with great pedal response.

Now my question. I got a new universal throttle cable and bracket. I put it on and have it and the kick down adjusted. I've got more throttle travel now and it drops down a gear properly. My carb is an Edelbrock 1406. I don't know if the secondaries are kicking in. I've read a lot of different info but nothing definitive. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody!