The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
GMC85HighSierra

80s Bumpers on a 70s Chevy Truck

Hello. I was thinking about using 80s bumpers on my 1975 K5 Blazer. I wasn't sure what the difference was for mounting the front bumpers. I thought to put an 80s bumper on a 70s frame, you had to cut off part of the 80s mounting bracket. If anyone has pics of this or another way of putting on 80s bumpers without hacking the frame, please let me know. Here are some pics I found to show you what I'm talking about.

The last pic shows a quick photoshop of what I'm thinking about doing. Since my 1975 grille is broken, I think I'm going to put the 73-74 "egg crate" grille in it. Then I was going to use 80s bumpers, but an 81-82 front bumper. I was going to put LED fog lights in the place of the turn signals. If anyone knows where I can find a 73-74 hood latch assembly, I would appreciate it. I already found the core support pieces (link below). Thanks

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/152662.html
Attached Images

GMC85HighSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: 80s Bumpers on a 70s Chevy Truck

Well-I had to cut/notch my late 70's frame to use an 81-up front bumper. I had read where people say you don't-but I can't see any other way. And, the 81-up frames have 2 holes for mounting the frame horn bumper reinforcement brackets whereas the 80-older only use 1 hole. I cut and notched my front framehorn sections to install the 81-up extension brackets and I'm also using 81-up bumper guards too. If I didn't do it the way I am, it would place the 81-up filler panel against the bumper and the edges of the bumper would sit too far beyond the fender side markers which would look stupid.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote