The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
dennislbrooks

14 bolt initial brake adjustment ???

First off, congrats to 66chevymax --nice truck-- and all my fellow competitors for 2016 TOTY.
I thank all who voted and for allowing me my TOTM.

Now here is my question. I have a GM 14 bolt SRM from a 74-75 C20 RWD. Ring gear was dated dec 73. I am refreshing it with brakes and seals and my question is what --if needed -- is the initial adjustment of the brake shoes? It has no hole in the backing plates --nor indent for one-- but the drums do show a location --kind of a knockout.

1) Do I adjust them kinda with drum only? Drum is inside of hub --11 x 2 3/4 brakes --apart now --drums were turned off hubs. And then use the backup brake procedure for adjusting them later?

2) Or should I drill out the drum location and cleanup with a carbide die grinder for a slot --I have 2 rubber plugs. If I make a drum slot hole it would be on the wrong side of the adjuster arm.

3) Or make a slot in the backing plate?
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: 14 bolt initial brake adjustment ???

I always make a slot in the backing plate. The spring kits come with a rubber plug, so it makes it easier to plug the hole afterwards
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: 14 bolt initial brake adjustment ???

My 68 had never had a brake job so the drums all had the knockout on the outer edge. I just knocked both of them out on each drum.

Clean and check the back plate really well and see if you can detect a knockout on the rear app. where the star adjuster is located.

I adjust mine so they barely rub/touch when I rotate the drum. Sometimes I adjust them out until they're tight and back off to barely rubbing.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote