The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
AusTx68

Question on starter wiring

So there are three terminals on the starter. A large terminal for the positive battery cable, a small one for the purple ignition wire and the other large terminal that powers the starter motor. This terminal also has the yellow wire which leads up to the coil then splits off to the fuse box thru a resistor wire.

The way I understand it, when the ignition key is turned to START, power is sent thru the purple wire which activates the solenoid which engages starter motor. Power is then sent up the yellow wire to the coil providing 12 volts. Once the motor starts all power is killed to the starter and the resistor wire feeds 9 volts to the coil to keep the motor running. right? (68' C-10)

Assuming all above is correct, I wired up my starter by replacing the yellow resistor wire with 20 gauge yellow wire. That way I get a full 12 volts to my Mallory distributor which calls for 12 volts. The yellow wire also goes down to
the starter as originally wired up. Not sure that was even necessary since I am was getting a full 12 volts from the fuse box.

With the new wiring, when I turn the key to the ON position (not START) the starter makes a winding noise then promptly blows my fusable link. I ending up cutting the wire from the coil down to the starter. This all made sense since that yellow wire was sending voltage to the starter on the side that engages the starter motor.

So finally here's my question, Why doesn't that happen with the OEM wiring?? You would think that power to the coil would also send power to the starter motor right?

Last edited by AusTx68; 02-28-2010 at 11:47 PM.
AusTx68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
GMCMAX

Re: Question on starter wiring

Should be four terminals, Large for the battery cable, below that for motor power from the solenoid, small for the purple from the switch, small for the yellow to the coil.
Switch energizes the purple to engage the solenoid, solenoid contacts across the battery to motor terminals, and also sends power back up the yellow to the coil.
If the yellow was hooked to the motor terminal, it would try to power the starter motor through the switch and overload the circuit blowing the fuse.
I believe the two small terminals are marked s for start (purple) and I or R for ignition (yellow).

Gets More Chicks

My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!

68 GMC, 4X4 conversion w/73 k20 running gear and springs, 350 4spd, 4.10's, D44 powerlok front, 14BFF govlock rear, 33" tires, lifted 4".
GMCMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
fixit-p

The yellow wire is not the resistor wire, the resistor wire is the one which goes to the bulkhead connector and the "R" terminal is isolated from the purple wire. When you wire an HEI or similar dist eithe run the wire to the ignition unfused terminal on the fuse block or remove the resistor wire from the bulkhead connector and wire it there no need to go to the starter.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
AusTx68

Hey guys thanks for clearing this up for me. I forgot to mention I'm running an aftermarket starter. It for sure only has 3 terminals. My mistake was was trying to set it up as OEM. I will delete the line to the starter and move on.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
skeeterbug

while on the subject im trying to wire up my starter as well, its only been 3 mon since i took all the wires out of the truck but cant remember how it was wired up i am re ally lost now. i am running an hei dist, the starter has three terminals one large top center and two smaller on each side, the large terminal is for the pos+ cable from the battery correct? the solid purple wire from the firewall bulkhead is from the ignition correct?,and goes to one of the smaller terminals? also the neg main cable from the battery does it ground to the frame its to large of a connector to go on the starter?, there is a smaller wire with a connector coming off the neg cable ill asume it goes to the other small terminal on the starter correct or am i totally f#$%ed up on this? i should have taken pictures, the bad part is i wired the thing up but have never left it apart for months on end, please help!!!
385 ci 4 bolt (4.040 bore), scat 6.0" forged h beams,scat forged crank 3.750, speed pro 5cc flat top, clevite bearings, .039 head gaskets,comp xr288hr 110* 288/294adv. 236/242@.50 555/576 lift, pbm hyd roller lifters, chad spiers 215cc imp. heads , comp 1.6 roler rockers, comp magnum push rods, edelbrock victor jr. single plane intake p&p (1206 gasket matched), quickfuel 750R DP , th 350 trans, 5.14 gear, 3000 stall

2012 best 1/8- 7.70 @ 87mph 1.70 60' (lil better)
2013 best 7.39
2014 best-7.38

New for 2013-strange rear coilovers, headman 1-3/4 headers, 5.13 r&p, .060 aluminum bed floor, 15x14 holeshots w/ 31x18.5 hoosier dot pro's, 15x4 holeshots w/ 26x5.5 m/t skinnies and 200+#'s in body weight loss & 6 point cage
skeeterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
fixit-p

Batt positive to big post on starter.
Purple from ignition switch to "S" terminal on starter (closest to engine)
Batt negative to engine block.
Thats it since you have HEI nothing is wired to the starters "R" terminal.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
Old 03-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbug View Post
while on the subject im trying to wire up my starter as well, its only been 3 mon since i took all the wires out of the truck but cant remember how it was wired up i am re ally lost now. i am running an hei dist, the starter has three terminals one large top center and two smaller on each side, the large terminal is for the pos+ cable from the battery correct? the solid purple wire from the firewall bulkhead is from the ignition correct?,and goes to one of the smaller terminals? also the neg main cable from the battery does it ground to the frame its to large of a connector to go on the starter?, there is a smaller wire with a connector coming off the neg cable ill asume it goes to the other small terminal on the starter correct or am i totally f#$%ed up on this? i should have taken pictures, the bad part is i wired the thing up but have never left it apart for months on end, please help!!!
This smaller wire goes to the body, a fender or the core support. There is no place for it on the starter.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
skeeterbug

thanks guys after hearing it from you all images started poping in my head as to where everything was, like the small wire from the neg. i remember know it was connected to the fender right beside the factory dist. block, duhhh...
385 ci 4 bolt (4.040 bore), scat 6.0" forged h beams,scat forged crank 3.750, speed pro 5cc flat top, clevite bearings, .039 head gaskets,comp xr288hr 110* 288/294adv. 236/242@.50 555/576 lift, pbm hyd roller lifters, chad spiers 215cc imp. heads , comp 1.6 roler rockers, comp magnum push rods, edelbrock victor jr. single plane intake p&p (1206 gasket matched), quickfuel 750R DP , th 350 trans, 5.14 gear, 3000 stall

2012 best 1/8- 7.70 @ 87mph 1.70 60' (lil better)
2013 best 7.39
2014 best-7.38

New for 2013-strange rear coilovers, headman 1-3/4 headers, 5.13 r&p, .060 aluminum bed floor, 15x14 holeshots w/ 31x18.5 hoosier dot pro's, 15x4 holeshots w/ 26x5.5 m/t skinnies and 200+#'s in body weight loss & 6 point cage
skeeterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Rick212

Can I pile on?? My wife's '69 C-10 also had a butchered engine wiring harness. She has a 350, HEI with air. I ordered the correct OEM style harness for the custom HEI set-up but several of the wires are still a mystery to me. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a '69 HEI small block with air???

I'll post pick is that will help............

Thanks...Rick
Rick212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

have you looked at the one posted in the sticky thread?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Rick212

Yup..............it's not for HEI..............I'll shoot some pics tonight,,,,,,,,,

Rick
Rick212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
70STOVEBOLT

How about this one? I was having issues with my battery only providing about 10 seconds of cranking time, so I replaced it. Now every so often when I'm cranking the engine, the starter engages the flywheel, but does not turn the engine over unless I let go of the key and try it again. Then it will turn over, but the turn signal indicators on the gauge panel light up very dim. What could this be? Wiring/electrical is not my forte at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Murphy IRE

OK, while I'm installing the 2nd battry, I'm trying to fix the "sometimes just click" while trying to start. I dropped the starter and have installed a new solenoid. The old wires aren't stellar so I'm going to replace them. The purple and the yellow. My question is what gauge should I run?
I bought 14 ga Purple and 10 ga yellow. Is the 14 big enough. I ran 2 ga from the battery to the solenoid on both batteries. I ordered the heat reflective tape to protect them from the heat.
Thanks in advance!
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
fixit-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy IRE View Post
OK, while I'm installing the 2nd battry, I'm trying to fix the "sometimes just click" while trying to start. I dropped the starter and have installed a new solenoid. The old wires aren't stellar so I'm going to replace them. The purple and the yellow. My question is what gauge should I run?
I bought 14 ga Purple and 10 ga yellow. Is the 14 big enough. I ran 2 ga from the battery to the solenoid on both batteries. I ordered the heat reflective tape to protect them from the heat.
Thanks in advance!
14 gauge is too small, stock is 12 gauge and the heat it's exposed to raises the resistance and is one of the cause of not starting when hot (also referred to as heat soak) 14 gauge will make it worst, the best thing you could do for that is the remote solenoid mod. http://madelectrical.com/catalog/st-1.shtml as far as the yellow wire 20 gauge is stock.

Quote:
Old 04-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Murphy IRE

OK back to NAPA for bigger purple wire and smaller yellow.
The "click noise" happens when the engine is cold or hot. And it doesn't do it all the time. The engine has always started, just can be annoying with 3 or 4 turns of the key before it starts.
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #16
stellar

check the brushes in the starter. If the solenoid is worn out, the brushes probably are too.
stellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #17
70STOVEBOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
How about this one? I was having issues with my battery only providing about 10 seconds of cranking time, so I replaced it. Now every so often when I'm cranking the engine, the starter engages the flywheel, but does not turn the engine over unless I let go of the key and try it again. Then it will turn over, but the turn signal indicators on the gauge panel light up very dim. What could this be? Wiring/electrical is not my forte at all. Any help would be appreciated.
Anyone?

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
fixit-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Check your battery cables, if you have a multimeter you could test your cables voltage drop (not continuity). Any time a totally unrelated circuit like the turn signal indicators are affected it's usually a poor ground somewhere but it could also be the positive side as well. Also make sure the ground cable is connected to the engine block and not just the frame.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #19
70STOVEBOLT

I replaced the positive cable when I replaced the battery, but I have not replaced the ground cable since I've owned the truck, over 9 years. I will take a look at it. Thanks for the reply.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Old 06-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
Rafael505

Ok this is what i got, the purple and yellow wire go's to the starter and the other 3 wires go to the distributor, lol if im correct. Iv looked at the diagrams lol i really don't know how to read it.

63 chevy c-10
67 chevy c-10
71 chevy Blazer 4x4
Rafael505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #21
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael505 View Post
Ok this is what i got, the purple and yellow wire go's to the starter and the other 3 wires go to the distributor, lol if im correct. Iv looked at the diagrams lol i really don't know how to read it.
Well you are ok at the starter end. Purple goes to the solenoid S terminal and yellow to the R terminal. At the other end, NONE of the wires go to the distributor. The yellow wire goes to the coil (+) terminal. The other two I'm not sure about, although one of them might be for the oil pressure switch.

I might be able to help more if you tell me what color the other two wires are, what year truck you have, and what engine it originally came with.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #22
Rafael505

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Well you are ok at the starter end. Purple goes to the solenoid S terminal and yellow to the R terminal. At the other end, NONE of the wires go to the distributor. The yellow wire goes to the coil (+) terminal. The other two I'm not sure about, although one of them might be for the oil pressure switch.

I might be able to help more if you tell me what color the other two wires are, what year truck you have, and what engine it originally came with.

Ray
Sure, its a 67 Chevy c10, had a 250-6, I replaced the 6 with a 350-8 with HEI. Now the other 2 wires. 1 wire is white with the wire being silver not copper and the other is green with the wire being copper, there's also a black wire coming out of the firewall which I believe is for the RPM gauge, lol there's like 4 wires including the yellow that has to go to the distributor/HEI, thanks for the help,

63 chevy c-10
67 chevy c-10
71 chevy Blazer 4x4
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #23
raycow

Sorry, I was thinking about stock ignition, not HEI.

So first off, please disregard what I said about the yellow wire. It is normally used to bypass the resistance wire in the stock harness when cranking, and you shouldnt be using the resistance wire with HEI. The green wire probably goes to the temperature gauge sender, assuming it is still connected to the gauge at its other end. By process of elimination, the white wire might be the power lead for the HEI. There is no white wire in the stock engine harness.
http://www.dartez.com/images/70/diagram2.GIF

The best suggestion I can give at this point would be to talk to whoever wired up your HEI the first time.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 06-29-2010 at 12:22 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #24
Rafael505

ok thanks, I have a friend who has a truck like mine with a 350 i called him, so im going to check out how he has his set up lol i forgot about him and his truck, but thanks for your help i think your right

63 chevy c-10
67 chevy c-10
71 chevy Blazer 4x4
Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
robzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit-p View Post
Batt positive to big post on starter.
Purple from ignition switch to "S" terminal on starter (closest to engine)
Batt negative to engine block.
Thats it since you have HEI nothing is wired to the starters "R" terminal.
i'm running points system, and the starter only has 2 terminals. the large one for the battery, and another smaller one. of the yellow and purple wires, which would go onto the smaller starter terminal. this starter was taken out of a 71 gmc. or will this starter not work? and where would the other wire go to?

thanks
robzilla is offline   Reply With Quote