The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
fastpace

Install and Review of Dapper Lighting OE7 LED Headlights

Just had one of the sealed halogen bulbs burn out on my 72 C10 so I searched the forum to see what kinds of options were available. From my searches I found you have the following options:
  • Halogen sealed beam direct replacement - ~$50, suggested to add relays to improve voltage and light output
  • Halogen H4 Conversion - ~$100, suggested to add relays and then some swap to xenon bulbs to maximize light output. Total package ~$200
  • HIDs - ~$300-600 lots of different options, has a more modern look, normally requires additional wiring for the ballasts
  • LEDs - ~$300-600 again a lot of options, but there's more flexibility in the glass and ability to look closer to stock

I prefer to have something that has a stock look and then stumbled on Dapper Lighting OE7 bulbs which maintain glass with reflector cuts for a stock look on most of the bulb. https://www.dapperlighting.com/products/oe7

Given the price point being just a little over the next best option for the stock look (H4 conversion, relays, and xenon bulbs) but a simpler install and potentially improved light output and life I decided to give them a shot. They've done some advertisement posts on the forum but couldn't find much info on the install fit and final results so thought I'd put something together.

I ended up ordering the OE7 with the OE Glass style ($50 option for the stock reflector cuts otherwise the glass is smooth) and White Phillips Daytime running lights ($13 option that I don't think I'm going to end up wiring) for a total of $386.58 shipped to me in Houston.

The box arrived and was nicer than just your average brown box. Bulbs were well packaged to ensure they arrived undamaged

After taking them out, the overall housing and glass looks nice. I was a little disappointed in the back of the housing is plastic, but at least the front is actual glass so should hold up and last.

With the 3 prong plug, it's a direct plug and play option

To start the install, the bezel need to be removed by removing the 4 phillips head screws.

Then you can get to the 3 flat head screws to remove the bulb ring. The other phillips are for aiming your headlights so if your lights were aimed well before hopefully you won't need to touch them.

With the ring removed the old bulb should come right out and just have the empty headlight bucket

When you go to install the OE7, it's labeled for the top of the bulb which will help have your alignment tabs fall right and it also looks like there is a difference in the internal deflectors and bulb install. Also puts the day time running light bulb at the bottom.

In order to get the bulb to fit you'll need to roll the rubber boot back to get it to fit through the hole in the headlight bucket. It's a tight fit, but no modification is need which was really nice to see.

Then you can roll the rubber boot back down and it'll hold the bulb in place for you.

This gives you the opportunity to check the alignment tabs are sitting in place and then you can reinstall the ring and trim.

With it all buttoned back up, plug them it in and turn them on to test.

After install I had to get some comparison pictures. I used my phone on the Pro mode and fixed the aperture, ISO, and exposure time so that the pictures could be used for comparison without variation of exposure. All pictures are low beams because the high beam filament is burnt out on the halogen. First, pictures from the interior of the truck.
Halogen

OE7

Both

Then some pictures looking back at the lights
Halogen

OE7

Both

Finally, a picture from the front of the truck which really shows the difference in the light spread and cutoff line of the OE7.

Overall, I liked the fact that it was a simple install and plug in, no modifications required. I chose not to wire in the DRL for now but I might consider it later but I don't think they add much benefit. From the pictures you can clearly see there is a big difference between the halogens and the OE7 especially with respect to area coverage. The temperature of the light is much nicer and will help be able to see things versus the warm color of the halogens. I'm satisfied with the results and look forward to the next night time drive to put them to work.
1972 C10 LWB Highlander Dark Olive/White - Work in progress 5.3/6L80e, Accuair e-level, Porterbuilt Stage 1 front and Stage 2 rear, Wilwood 14"F 13"R, Vintage Wheel Works V40 18x8/18x11, and more... Build Thread
Old 02-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
72 tigger

Re: Install and Review of Dapper Lighting OE7 LED Headlights

Good write up- thanks
Kirk
Old 02-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
Custom 68

Those look great. Thanks for taking the time for the write up
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 02-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #4
Fbks_Cruiser

Thanks for the great write up. The comparison pictures say it all! Too bad they don’t make the OE style for those of us driving 4 eyes.

Matt

Last edited by Fbks_Cruiser; 02-17-2020 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
72LB

Nice write up! I like them although don't care for the daytime light option.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
fastpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LB View Post
Nice write up! I like them although don't care for the daytime light option.
Agree, I don't really have a desire to use the DRL so I didn't bother to wire them up and just left the bulb there. You really can't see the bulb so it doesn't make any change to the appearance or use of the lights. If they had an option without DRL I would have chose those.
1972 C10 LWB Highlander Dark Olive/White - Work in progress 5.3/6L80e, Accuair e-level, Porterbuilt Stage 1 front and Stage 2 rear, Wilwood 14"F 13"R, Vintage Wheel Works V40 18x8/18x11, and more... Build Thread
Old 02-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
HeavyHauler

I went to their website and discovered quite a few bad reviews as far as trying to make them fit. But with that said I am going to buy some and see if I can get them to fit as easy like you did. Thanks for the write up!

Last edited by HeavyHauler; 02-17-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
fastpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
I went to their website and discovered quite a few bad reviews as far as trying to make them fit.
I'll try to take a comparison picture tonight when I swap the other bulb, but you can see with the cooling system that it's not exactly the same dimensionally as a sealed bulb. So it will be dependent by car type and the headlight bucket if there is any modification required. Luckily on my 72, it was a perfect fit without any modifications. If that center hole were just slightly smaller I would have had to enlarge it to get the lights to fit.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpace View Post
I'll try to take a comparison picture tonight when I swap the other bulb, but you can see with the cooling system that it's not exactly the same dimensionally as a sealed bulb. So it will be dependent by car type and the headlight bucket if there is any modification required. Luckily on my 72, it was a perfect fit without any modifications. If that center hole were just slightly smaller I would have had to enlarge it to get the lights to fit.
They will be going into a 1968 Chevy C10 SWB fleetside.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #10
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Have seen Dapper at Columbus Good Guys show past few years. Was quite impressed, but I was not in a position to buy at that time. Now I'm getting close with my K10 engine swap and will definitely be going that route when I'm ready. Nice results and great write up.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
Old 02-19-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
toolboxchev

That is very nice. Most of the new vehicles I have been in show just a flood with the cutoff line. I like the fact that they are indeed glass with the spot in the middle.

Good stuff.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:02 PM   #12

I didnt see the lumen light output on the box nor n the description on their site. Does anyone know what it is for this model?
Closed Thread