The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #1
whitedog76

Rivian truck

Just saw a bunch of info on the Rivian truck and SUV.

It's slated to be built in Normal, IL in the old Mitsubishi/Diamondstar plant.

I kind of like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7rKsZZPT1Y
Attached Images

whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Rivian truck

Another butt ugly "concept vehicle" with transformer styling and the carbon foot print of a coal fired locomotive , Oh yeah it's green ... REALLY ? I'm going to invest in a fleet of diesel 4x4 recovery trucks at $350.00 an hr to save the snow flakes when they go off roading .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
whitedog76

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Quite frankly, most of what is coming out of show-rooms isn’t really my cup of tea either. I think the big 3 and others could be doing a better job with innovation.

They seem to be marketing the vehicle as an off road go anywhere vehicle. I question that logic. Taking on the American truck and SUV market won’t be easy. In reality, anyone that can fork out $70,000 + may take it surfing or skiing, but they probably aren’t sleeping on the ground at night. They may be better off building a delivery type vehicle then jumping into the truck market. Of course, everyone thought the Tesla would never make it, they’re laughing all the way to the bank.

As far as the carbon footprint goes... they’re going to be built in a previously shuttered plant here in central Illinois. I’m sure they’ll use steel and recycled material from down the road here, not to mention the jobs it will create. I hope their carbon footprint is huge.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

That's not a truck, it's an SUV with the roof cut off the cargo area. Also, if the bed is under 6' it's not a truck, especially if the cab is bigger than the bed. It's also not a truck if a working man can't afford one and/or it's useless as a work vehicle. How do the ladder racks mount? "The ideal vehicle to go out and enjoy nature in"? You have to get out and walk away from a vehicle to go out and enjoy nature. I see a vehicle for city people, so getting out to a natural setting will be some distance. Where do you charge it up? Oh, my bad. He meant Central Park, NYC. I puked before I could get past 50 seconds. Mercy, what has become of the human race? I'm a truck guy. Been one as long as I remember. "I was truck guy, when truck guy wasn't cool" , and that thing does not fit my demographic. That thing is made for people who go to the doctor when they get a splinter and hire people to get leaves out of their gutter

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-04-2019 at 10:22 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
flashed

Nothing like it for me . No thankyou , UGLY .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

pass...

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

not here either

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #8
Boog
laying low

Another EV design.
Well, I'll reserve comment as K trashed it pretty thoroughly.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:14 AM   #9
whitedog76

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's not a truck, it's an SUV with the roof cut off the cargo area.
Exhibit A
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2019, 12:17 AM   #10
whitedog76

Quote:
Also, if the bed is under 6' it's not a truck, especially if the cab is bigger than the bed.
Exhibit B

By definition, not trucks
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #11
whitedog76

[QUOTE=special-K;8436812] How do the ladder racks mount? /QUOTE]

Exhibit C
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2019, 12:29 AM   #12
whitedog76

Like I said, it's not everyone's cup of tea. I don't see myself buying one in the near future, but I'm not cutting it down either.

Working in the construction field, I see some validity to have an electric vehicle. #1 You don't have to give employees a credit card to get gas. #2 You don't have to worry as much about oil changes, maintenance, etc... Of course, the price point needs to come way down to be practical.

When Ford and Dodge dropped their full size vans, there was quite a bit of grumbling in the industry. Well, the Transit, Courier, and Sprinter helped fill the gap. Were they perfect? Not in the least, but neither were the full size vans.

As a kid, I grew up watching movies like Robocop, Total Recall, etc... I always thought we would be driving some sort of futuristic ride by now anyhow. One thing Detroit has repeatedly shown us, is that they are slow to change. Like I said previously, it may be a shot in the arm/kick in the pants for the Big 3.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:30 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
Exhibit A
Correct, that is an SUV
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
Exhibit B

By definition, not trucks
That's right, in my book... a truck guy's book. A pickup has a 6' or 8' bed, always has. Trucks are born of usefulness and to shorten the bed to a sub-standard size for a market consisting of people who don't need a truck to allow passenger capacity of a car makes it useless.
[quote=whitedog76;8437003]
Quote:
How do the ladder racks mount? /QUOTE]

Exhibit C
Aw, that's so cute. A little rack so it can haul a 6' step ladder that fits in the bed of a "truck". Now about that extension ladder...
I can see these going down the road with a mattress on the roof and an arm out each window holding it on... like you see people doing in cars

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-05-2019, 01:53 AM   #14
truckster

I used to have a Hoover with a headlight like that.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:11 AM   #15
whitedog76

Quote:
Correct, that is an SUV

That's right, in my book... a truck guy's book. A pickup has a 6' or 8' bed, always has. Trucks are born of usefulness and to shorten the bed to a sub-standard size for a market consisting of people who don't need a truck to allow passenger capacity of a car makes it useless.
Where can I buy your book? I would like to read it.

I gave up an 8 foot truck bed, because I couldn't fit 3 car seats in the back. The backseat was pretty useful to me. Can't haul kids in the bed anymore. While I will admit the 5 foot-nothing bed is not always convenient. I do use it like it's intended purpose. I believe I've had 2600 lbs of lumber in the bed on an occassion. I may even be able to find the receipt from Menards if you would like to see.

As far a hauling ladders. I can't say that I've ever seen a truck roll out of the factory with a ladder rack.

What do I know? I guess I'm not really a truck guy...
Old 01-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #16
whitedog76

Yep, this truck is pretty useless.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2019, 02:23 AM   #17
dieseldawg142

can't help but think of this when i look at that front end.......
Name:  B_Ou3WCU4AE8tH-.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  41.9 KBName:  rivian-r1t-driving-forest-1024x701.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  34.8 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I just don't see a truck. Let's agree to disagree with me saying what a truck is has been redefined as well as who drives them. Just look at that video you posted and see who were chosen to be 'impressed'. I am a truck guy from before the advent of people expecting a pickup truck to haul the whole family. That's what cars are for, and SUVs. I hauled my family around in station wagons, Suburbans, and Blazers, because I'm a truck guy. When guys would comment my shortbed (which means 6'+/-) is worthless, can't even fit a sheet of plywood, I'd say "I'm a truck guy, I have longbed trucks for work, this is my car". Yes, my car that I can haul almost as much in as the longbed. The whole truck market has been changed to suit the mass of people who perceive the need, including the image, of a pickup. We went from the family wagon being uncool to mini-vans, until they were perceived as uncool. Then it went to SUVs. I guess the very handy for family use SUVs that can tow what a truck can were perceived as not tough enough(?), what a woman should drive(?), what the cool guy at the office traded in for a pickup(?), I don't know. I'm not part of that group. For whatever reason trucks have taken over the market so now trucks are being designed for those people, people who could get by without a truck and need a vehicle to haul their family. This electric thing is the latest result in the redefining of what a pickup truck is.

And, no, trucks were never available new with ladder racks. But they were ALL made to accommodate them... or any number of other useful attachments to enhance, not detract from, the usefulness of that truck. No odd shapes, just a rectangle with flat rails, and made of steel strong enough to support the load not plastic. Ford made a 1pc pickup body. Looked real cool, I like them. But it was a failure as a truck, not a better idea from Ford. People have always argued over an El Camino being a truck or not. Well, no more El Caminos but plenty more models to keep that argument going. A crew cab pickup with undersized bed can do many truck things but not everything a truck has traditionally done. Other than the need, the thing that made me a truck guy was the fact that they were a no BS vehicle made for a purpose that wasn't constantly changed to please the fickle buying public. GM built the same basic truck from 1973 thru 1991 with one front end styling change to the front end to remain relevant for the next decade. And they had no problem selling them. Yeah, what a truck is and what a truck guy is has been redefined.

Tim

Old 01-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #19
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I used to have a Hoover with a headlight like that.
Yeah, and they both sucked

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #20
yuccales

Quote:
I'm a truck guy. Been one as long as I remember. "I was truck guy, when truck guy wasn't cool"
Agreed. For all of us truck lovers, one of my favorites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB2zksvodF0
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #21
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Yeah, and they both sucked

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #22
whitedog76

Geesh, I knew it wouldn't be popular. Didn't think it would be this bad... I'm not even getting beat up on Stovebolt like this.

I will admit, the vertical oblong headlights aren't much in the way of styling. In my personal opinion, I don't find it any less offensive than what the 2019 Silverado came to the table with. In the big picture of things, the Rivian doesn't have an engine under the hood, it's a trunk. Would it have looked better with the front end shaped as a wedge? I think not.

As Tim stated, what a truck is has been re-defined over the years. This is just an example of that. I would hope they come out with other models over the years in order to put the nay-sayers to rest. Time will only tell. My biggest hope is that the company is successful. Trust me when I say that we need the jobs here in central Illinois. Mitsubishi left a huge gap, not to mention Caterpillar keeps closing plants and moving jobs overseas and south of the border.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #23
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Don't take criticism of the object as criticism of yourself. To my eyes that thing is a joke at best. The technology *may* be one of many stepping stones on the way to the future, but I see the styling is simply atrocious. If you happen to like it, fine, different strokes for different folks. Any chance your positive opinions of it are influenced, at least in part, by the need for jobs in your area?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #24
fine69

I am not an electric vehicle fan. Im sure i will never own one.
But i really like the look of this. And the features,
Can i get one with a 502 BB Chevy in it? And some different wheels

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #25
whitedog76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Don't take criticism of the object as criticism of yourself. To my eyes that thing is a joke at best. The technology *may* be one of many stepping stones on the way to the future, but I see the styling is simply atrocious. If you happen to like it, fine, different strokes for different folks. Any chance your positive opinions of it are influenced, at least in part, by the need for jobs in your area?
Trust me, I'm not taking offense to anything that was said. I don't totally disagree with everything he stated either. I've been know to poke the hornet's nest and run my crocodile mouth from time to time too. I did find the statements about what a "real truck" is to be very narrow. At one time a "real truck" had two wooden wheels and a handle. Tell the guy pushing it that is wasn't real.

Chris