The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2016, 12:40 AM   #1801
67chevy1series

Re: 1967 Chevy CST aka "the loud truck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
Thanks for the video, good job so far Rick.
Thanks, trying to do this right and make it a fairly nice swap. The LS has already been installed and done up everyway you can think of so nothing new or special going on with my swap but ibe always wanted a retro style LS if I ever went that route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Engine sounds good Rick! I dig the gravity feed
The gravity feed is pretty backyard but I've seen a guy start his carburated LS on an engine stand like that before and figured I would give it a try lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
You'll be driving it soon, great job.
I really hope so, I'm getting really excited about driving the truck again... Miss the 67 I can't remember ever having it down for this long since I've got it on the road. Also really hoping the transmission is going to be just as good as the motor.

A buddy of mine has a plasma cutter so pretty soon I'll be trailering the 67 to his house so I can remove all the rivers and the OE trailling arm crossmember easier and since his house is close by the exhaust shop, I'll trailer the truck there after installing the PB crossmember. I'm planing on doing 3" exhaust. I was going to do 2.5 but my dad talked me into 3". also I've decided to put a flange by the trailling arm crossmember on both LH and RH side so I can un-bolt the exhaust to take it out, instead of having to cut it out since it will go through the crossmember.

Last edited by 67chevy1series; 05-11-2016 at 12:45 AM.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:55 PM   #1802
67chevy1series

Got my PB crossmember in today.. So beautiful and nicely powder coated black! Now to attack the rivets with full force and no mercy... Not looking forward to that lol
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #1803
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Very nice!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #1804
67chevy1series

Well today I got the 67 loaded up, and I also received my PS reservoir and aeromotive fuel regulator. Just waiting on a 100micron and a 40 micron fufle filters to come in the mail and the to install the PB crossmember and I can install the fuel system in the truck. Here's a shot of the 14' silverado pulling the 67 for the first time.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #1805
68bowtie

dude did you just drive over don pedro dam?

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:58 AM   #1806
67chevy1series

Yes sir about that time I was definitely on the dam by don Pedro!
Old 05-14-2016, 01:06 AM   #1807
67chevy1series

Today I loaded up and pressure washed the rear suspension and frame a bit and then picked up all the necessary hardware to install the PB trailling arm crossmember, and then I headed home and proceeded to swap in the crossmember. The fitment between the 3 piece crossmember and of the crossmember to the frame is spot on and very nice, however I really think the crossmember is something that should be done when your entire rear suspension is loose and the body is off the frame.. So since that was entirely not the case with the 67, it took me longer then it should have. With that said I would still buy another crossmember in the future if I had any other rear soil sprung c10's. Maybe Sunday or Monday I can get all the fuel system in. Waiting on some 6an fittings for the aeromotive fuel regulator and a 100 micron filter to come in the mail and then I can begin.

PS: any of you guys have an aeromotive fuel regulator, and if so where did you mount it? (Especially if your engine is carbureted) having trouble deciding where to mount it where I can also monitor the fuel PSI gauge that's on the front of it.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:02 AM   #1808
67chevy1series

Well I got the power steering lines all done and the power steering works! Also got the TPS sorted out and in place, just need the stud to connect it to the throttle lever on the carb. Throttle linkage is done as well. There's a performance/economy mode wire that either grounds out or not for the Trans... I think I finally figured out how to incorporate that with the dash and still look like sown thing stock... More on that later.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #1809
Ol Blue K20

It sounds like it will be drivable reay soon. Great work..

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-22-2016, 01:03 AM   #1810
67chevy1series

Calibrated the TCU today since the TPS and throttle linkage are officially done. Also mounted the fuel regulator... Don't think I'll keep it where it's at for very long... However between wanting to hide it and having to keep in plain sight because the PSI gauge that screwed into it makes it difficult for me to find a spot to put it. Couple more odds n' ends and I can finish the fuel system. Still need to wire the engine cooling fan/fuel pump, get a driveshaft and new U-joints, get exhaust done, trans coolant lines/hoses, machine temp sender(I've seen people do it on here, however im having trouble finding a shop locally that can do the job), and then I still need to get Dakota digitalis VSS to mechanical speedometer converter. after that it's down to just coolant and ATF... And hoping the Trans is good! Lol
Old 05-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #1811
67chevy1series

Got a drive line and new u joints today. Also took the temp sender into get machined down to 12mm X1.5 and I also got enough coolant for the cooling system. Tomorrow I'm going to order all the stuff to complete the Trans cooler lines and some stuff to do the wiring on theta and fuel pump... Shooting to take it for a test drive around the 2nd or 3rd week of june... Hoping everything works out alright so I can take it to brothers truck show for the first time and also would be my first time going too.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:31 AM   #1812
67chevy1series

Well there was a mix up and it turns out a 67-72 temp sensor can NOT be machined down to 12mmx1.5... So that was a waste of a part and time.. But I guess I gained the knowledge of what's inside those temp sensors lol. Anyways I have another plan to install the 67-72 style temp sensor into the 5.3.. While I'm waiting for parts too show up, and for this coming week so I can get some more parts,I worked on my friends 73 GMC. Replaced the heater core for the first time in a squarebody, was fairly easy. So anyways here's a shot from that. Also would like to wish everyone a safe Memorial Day.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2016, 02:33 AM   #1813
67chevy1series

Alright so fuel system is done, adjusted the fuel psi regulator to 5.5psi (if anybody has any reasons why that would be wrong feel free to tell me. I'm using a 1406 edelbrock carburetor). I have the stuff for the transmission cooler lines/hoses shipping as we speak. Also in the mail is a adapter to put a thermostat for the electric fan in the head so the fan kicks on and off, other then that the fan is completely wired in. I also got this "coolant block drain plug" at the machine shop so the center can be machined to accept the stock 67-72 c10 temp sensor, so hopefully that's finished up tomorrow. So as of right now I'm just waiting for everything to come in the mail so I can install it and install the last fluids... And then it's time to double check everything and go for a test drive, or attempt a test drive lol
Old 06-04-2016, 02:57 AM   #1814
67chevy1series

Couple steps forward one step back... Went to pick up the temp sensor adapter fitting (or at least that's what it should have been) and it was destroyed... The threads that let the plug screw into the block where just gone.. just mangled them right off.. And the hole was off center and the threads weren't even cut in so I bought that plug and ordered it from the dealer ship for nothing. Sad thing is the actual owner of the shop said, he knows what i want done can work, it's just he didn't do the job because he was working on three different customers crankshafts. So he told me if I can bring him another plug so he himself can machine it this time.. but it's a bit of a pain because this is I believe my 3rd trip down to the shop and And the amount of gas I've spent is probably now 3 times as much of the part and if I pull the plug out of my motor and it gets butchered now I have a 28mm hole in my motor til I can get another one ordered... Im a bit discouraged and annoyed with how difficult such an easy thing is to do, and what ads to that is the fact that I'm positively sure if I had the correct precise tools to fix the plug in place and drill it straight and true as well as the drill and tap and stuff I could do the job. Anyways I guess that's my rant. We'll see what unfolds tomorrow..
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #1815
Maddoxdb

i feel your frustration on the plug. In my business if I know my employees aren't competent enough to do a job then I do it myself..... No matter how busy I am. Your trucks looking great. I need to jump in and do an ls swap on one of mine. I love how you retained the stock appearance and will be stealing some info from this thread when I get around to doing one.

On another note I felt I should comment on here to let you know your posts weren't going unread! The forums have really seemed to slow down. I really don't get on much myself. Mainly just to read up on threads I get email notifications on. Anyways, good luck on sorting out the temp sensor! Later, Dustin
Maddoxdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #1816
Ol Blue K20

Hey Rick, I'm still paying attention, but I'm working 7 12's and am wore out and fall asleep early. It sucks when you trust a shop with a part and all they do is apologize for screwing it up. They should have offered to get another one and making it right for ya! I did my rant too......lol

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #1817
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddoxdb View Post
i feel your frustration on the plug. In my business if I know my employees aren't competent enough to do a job then I do it myself..... No matter how busy I am. Your trucks looking great. I need to jump in and do an ls swap on one of mine. I love how you retained the stock appearance and will be stealing some info from this thread when I get around to doing one.

On another note I felt I should comment on here to let you know your posts weren't going unread! The forums have really seemed to slow down. I really don't get on much myself. Mainly just to read up on threads I get email notifications on. Anyways, good luck on sorting out the temp sensor! Later, Dustin
Thanks Dustin, I appreciate the kind words! If you need any help or exact GM part numbers to find what parts I used just let me know, you can message me here or comment down or I see we are friends on Instagram you can also ask me on there. I too have noticed the forum here has slowed down but I also feel it is my fault for having kind of a choppy unorganized build thread that seems to never have any real changes to the truck other then drive train, I'm pretty sure people are ready to see the interior done and paint done, but since the truck is ( well was up until 6 months ago) my daily driver I usually can't have it down for long periods of time. So I'm pretty sure that's a big factor why maybe my build thread is not very busy which is understandable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Hey Rick, I'm still paying attention, but I'm working 7 12's and am wore out and fall asleep early. It sucks when you trust a shop with a part and all they do is apologize for screwing it up. They should have offered to get another one and making it right for ya! I did my rant too......lol
no problem Dale your this threads regular! You've been this threads regular participant as equal as I have! Lol

Good news is I turned to some friends and was able to take another plug and stick on a lathe and put a hole in it and tap it to the right size and now I've got the plug and 67-72 temp sensor in the motor and wired up so right now I'm going to go out there and start filling with coolant/distilled water and start checking to see if there are any leaks... Hopefully tonight I have good news to report.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #1818
67chevy1series

Well I've been checking throughout the day and there's no leaks internally or externally in from the cooling system! Now just waiting for the earls pro lite ultra hose I ordered to come in so I can get the transmission cooler lines done and then I'll fill the Trans with Fluid and take it for a test drive...and if everything is working then I'll make an appointment for the exhaust shop
Old 06-06-2016, 01:49 AM   #1819
Ol Blue K20

When you're done, I might have to take a day off just to see and hear it in person....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #1820
67chevy1series

Well I got the 67 on the road, the Trans shifts strong and the motor feels strong as well. One thing that I think is a little too strong is shifting into drive.. Really jolts forward, I know with the th350, th400 with the vacuum modulators you can adjust them by getting a different color line modulator but with all these fancy electronics i need to read up how to adjust the 4l60e.

Also any of you that have the 4l60e and your using the factory yoke from the Trans, what is the hole in the end of it for?
Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #1821
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Well there was a mix up and it turns out a 67-72 temp sensor can NOT be machined down to 12mmx1.5... So that was a waste of a part and time.. But I guess I gained the knowledge of what's inside those temp sensors lol. Anyways I have another plan to install the 67-72 style temp sensor into the 5.3.. While I'm waiting for parts too show up, and for this coming week so I can get some more parts,I worked on my friends 73 GMC. Replaced the heater core for the first time in a squarebody, was fairly easy. So anyways here's a shot from that. Also would like to wish everyone a safe Memorial Day.
Been there done that. I ended up drilling and tapping the head on my last LS swap.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #1822
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Well I got the 67 on the road, the Trans shifts strong and the motor feels strong as well. One thing that I think is a little too strong is shifting into drive.. Really jolts forward, I know with the th350, th400 with the vacuum modulators you can adjust them by getting a different color line modulator but with all these fancy electronics i need to read up how to adjust the 4l60e.

Also any of you that have the 4l60e and your using the factory yoke from the Trans, what is the hole in the end of it for?
Congrats Rick!

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-16-2016, 04:36 AM   #1823
67chevy1series

Today I took the 67 to salinas CA, which made negotiations up the Pacheco pass and the truck did pretty good! Also was able to calculate my MPG and with the all the climbing up the hills at about 55-65 mph through out the trip I got 20.1 MPG. I'm guessing regular flat ground driving at the same speeds I get at least 22... And to think I still have the carburetor! Anyways Ive been driving it and tuning little things here and there when it needs it and it gets nicer and nicer. Also trying to get the truck cleaned up and fix some stuff body and paint wise that has been bothering me badly for quite awhile now. I'll try to post updates regularly. Here's a shot of the 67 waiting in a school parking lot to meet a friend so I can pick up a 1962-1965 grille for a friends 64 d100
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #1824
67chevy1series

Well my horrible luck with transmissions precedes me.. So the 4l60e has been running hotter then where I'd like it to be and it seems the motor is revving a little higher then it should for the gear the transmission is in, also I couldn't seem to figure out why the Trans kicks into drive so hard and why 1-2 shift throws you in your seat a bit... Well looking at all of that I've come to realize the Trans is slipping a little at all times causing the extra friction and heat and the engine to rev higher to keep the mph right in that gear so a friend of mine happened to get a line on another 4l60 in trade for a 4 bolt main sbc so I traded the block for the Trans. I've already degreased the Trans and pulled the pan, there was some of the clutch pack wear on the little magnet in the pan and around the magnet but it looks much better then how the other 4l60 looked when I pulled the pan, so I'll swap it in and see, it was pulled out of its original truck 2 days ago so it should work
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #1825
Ol Blue K20

This sucks, I hope this trans works better...best of luck to ya.....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man