The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
Gixxerboy

newbie here, need lowering help

hey everyone,
I am new to the scene and have got my grandpa's truck given to me, a 1970 GMC.

as of right now it's all stock and I have been looking into lowering it.

I was thinking just plain springs, and spindles to get around 5 inches, but it's just not enough.

If I buy a air ride kit and install it, just the way it comes

1)how many inches can it lower my truck??

2)what all would be needed to make the body touch the ground??

3)what is C-notch?

4)what is a four link setup supposed to accomplish? is it needed?

5)body drop required?

I am new to the truck scene, and the air ride setups, please help, and help is appreciated.

thanks again
James
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:09 PM   #2
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

If you want the ultimate low skip the BS and get a body drop. You will need a set of drop spindles and I would suggest a 4 link. The 4 link setup is originally a race car type setup. They are great for traction as the pinion angle does not change once it is set. This may not mean alot to you but it will one day. Body drop can be done several diff ways. You can do a stock floor drop or you can do a frame drop. Stock floor drop requires the floor of the truck to be cut and moved upwards into the cab. The frame drop requires the frame to be cut and reworked to set the front clip higher into the body. Either way you go with a body drop the bed has to be cut into and moved up. If I could do it all over I would body drop. Body drop will run you around $1500-$2500 depending upon who does it and what rear suspension technique you choose. Its not cheap BUT its LOW!!!!!
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:09 PM   #3
Gixxerboy

so with some drop spindles how low can those go? front and rear?

also a 4 link setup, where can you purchase this, or what car/truck can I get it out of? if any.

as for body drops which one of the two are easier? is there a kit, or is it something a fellow(welder) could fabricate himself??

when you talk about rear suspension technique what does that mean, what different ways are there to do, what's the best and easiest?

thanks
James
Old 08-19-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

If you want to go low without spending the big $$ for the body drop go with spindles in the front and a 4 link in the rear. There are so many ways to get your truck to lay low. The lower you go the more cost it will be. I went with a lowered crossmember in the front with spindles and air bags. In the rear I went with a 4 link setup and a frame notch. You must notch the frame to get these trucks to lay out in the rear. Check out a few post here in the suspension section. One that says Crossmember drop and the other about 4 link. The 4 link and crossmember will set you back around $1000 easy!! That is not installed. Then you will need a air ride system. wow I just realized how much damn $$ I have in suspension parts. The key here is Do it right the first time. Study what you really want and take no short cuts. It will cost you alot more in the long run if you dont.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:11 PM   #5
Gixxerboy

so you just have bags in the front,?

do you have some pics of the setup?

is a 4 link adjustable? how low can you get a 4 link with a Cnotch??

as for a crossmember is that custom made? or a store bought part?

where can I pick up a 4 link system?

thanks alot for your help so far
James