The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Toro

Thoughts on Eastwood Rust Encapsulator

Has anyone used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator? I have a local parts guy that swears by it, but others tell me it's no better than a rattle can of flat black Rustoleum.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
BIG BLOCK JIMMY

Re: Thoughts on Eastwood Rust Encapsulator

I'm glad someone asked this! I have been angry for three years now over that stuff. I thought I had researched my heart out and found that to be the best product to use to combat corrosion.
I ordered a gallon of it and on three hot summer days I removed the bed on my truck, pressure cleaned, scraped, wire brushed and repeated these steps over and over until all metal on the frame was grease and coating free.... and dry.
I thoroughly enjoyed painting every thing as the metal seemed to love it and soaked it up. I must have put five coats on everything and even used there spray for internal parts I couldn't get a brush on.
I was a very happy boy as my truck looked better than new and I thought I had protected it. A few short months later I had to work in WV for the winter and of course they LOVE the "salt"! They can't fix a pothole, but they will dump that crap on the roads by the billion tons per minute. Even though I thought my truck was laughing the evil off, I still went to the car wash several times a week (hand wash, not drive through).
To my HORROR, before winter was even over, I could clearly see RUST all over my frame. I called Eastwoods and they apologized and sent me a free gallon of the same crap to make up for it........ that gallon was never opened and never will be and my frame looks like hell.
That was the long story of don't waste your time or money on there insanely expensive garbage. Clean whatever you want to make black and use just what you said, "a rattle can of flat black Rustoleum". OR check out the POR products OR get everything LineX'd.
Once I get the JIMMY 100% for a temporary daily driver I'm taking my truck to have the frame and entire truck LineX'd!
Sorry, I had to vent!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
Toro

That's good (or bad maybe?) to hear. When describing the product and where/how to use it, they (Eastwood) say it can be applied directly to rust, but go on to explain that the metal should be prepared as Damon mentioned above. My thought was if you make that prep, there shouldn't be any rust left to paint over.

I'm looking for what's best to spray on sheet metal parts after they've been welded and ground down to bare metal. And also just an all around good paint for underneath parts/pieces.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
BIG BLOCK JIMMY

I found this thread which might help?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=684585

Depending on what/where the part is, you could have it powder coated or Cerakoted? A little more extravagant than what you're probably looking for though.

Good luck
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
That's good (or bad maybe?) to hear. When describing the product and where/how to use it, they (Eastwood) say it can be applied directly to rust, but go on to explain that the metal should be prepared as Damon mentioned above. My thought was if you make that prep, there shouldn't be any rust left to paint over.

I'm looking for what's best to spray on sheet metal parts after they've been welded and ground down to bare metal. And also just an all around good paint for underneath parts/pieces.
Epoxy.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

On my 72 blazer I replaced all the sheet metal except for the front windshield frame area. I used epoxy primer on almost every piece except powder coating the frame and diffs. Epoxy goes on really nice, its made for bare metal. If you do not want to spend the time to really clean up/sandblast the metal you can use POR 15 on the frame and other frame connected parts. I do not use POR 15 on any sheet metal parts.
I do not buy eastwood products, they are marketed all over YOUTUBE so I can see why people go after their products. Good Luck.
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote