The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
Bobbed72

Modified oil baffle on aftermarket valve covers.

Something I wanted to share, I bought some CFR valve cover adapters so I could use SBC covers to hide my coils. One of the issues I found and, there were a few, was that the oil baffles for the PCV/Vent seemed inadequate. And I was right. After a couple hundred mile break-in I began to get smoke out the exhaust. I first thought it was a ring issue till I noticed the breather on one cover weeping oil. Disconnected my PCV line from the carb and the smoke went away. After some thought I pulled the cover and decided to replace the baffle with some a bit more capable. After a bit of testing I haven't had any smoking.

Bobbed72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
NC_John

Re: Modified oil baffle on aftermarket valve covers.

I bought a set of those but was very unimpressed with them. Had to redrill and tap them to fit my (truck) coils under the SB valve covers. The oil fill provision was ridiculous and there was just no room for everything under the vanity covers... And everything got packed so tight under the covers, I was concerned about the coils getting too hot. Definitely a failed experiment for me. The sbc valve covers did look pretty awesome on the engine though.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Bobbed72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
I bought a set of those but was very unimpressed with them. Had to redrill and tap them to fit my (truck) coils under the SB valve covers. The oil fill provision was ridiculous and there was just no room for everything under the vanity covers... And everything got packed so tight under the covers, I was concerned about the coils getting too hot. Definitely a failed experiment for me. The sbc valve covers did look pretty awesome on the engine though.
Yeah, I almost didn't by them cause of the oil fill issue. Then I came up with a solution by adding an oil fill to the valley cover. Holley has valley covers with oil fills but I had already bought a cover so I just modified it. Driving it over the summer I haven't had an issue with coils getting hot and I took it on a 3 hr freeway trip and a 2 hr slow cruise. But I did have the same concern and considered drilling holes in the back side to help vent. Also left out the rubber gasket so the SBC covers are sitting on the valve covers and act as a heat sink.

D585 truck coils fit just barely underneath. I saw another style that may work better but I don't remember the part number. D581's do not work.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbed72 View Post
Yeah, I almost didn't by them cause of the oil fill issue. Then I came up with a solution by adding an oil fill to the valley cover. Holley has valley covers with oil fills but I had already bought a cover so I just modified it. Driving it over the summer I haven't had an issue with coils getting hot and I took it on a 3 hr freeway trip and a 2 hr slow cruise. But I did have the same concern and considered drilling holes in the back side to help vent. Also left out the rubber gasket so the SBC covers are sitting on the valve covers and act as a heat sink.

D585 truck coils fit just barely underneath. I saw another style that may work better but I don't remember the part number. D581's do not work.

I mean their oil fill provision hole is like 3/8" I can't imagine how long it will take to get 6 qts through a 3/8" hole!

I am running a catch can as well and just could not make things work with all the additional plumbing. I tried though- I had a set of old G chevy scripted valve covers I finished in satin black that looked awesome on there. Even with the FAST intake.

Nice engine.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Bobbed72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
I mean their oil fill provision hole is like 3/8" I can't imagine how long it will take to get 6 qts through a 3/8" hole!

I am running a catch can as well and just could not make things work with all the additional plumbing. I tried though- I had a set of old G chevy scripted valve covers I finished in satin black that looked awesome on there. Even with the FAST intake.

Nice engine.
My solution for the plumping was to drill a hole in the side of each cover big enough for a bulkhead fitting and ran a hose inside from cover to cover. I purposely bought covers with no holes so I could choose where the holes were. On one side I placed a breather and the other I used a screw in PCV that I screwed into a 3/8 hose fitting creating a makeshift bulkhead fitting.

You can kinda see the arrangement here. Notice the smaller brake booster? That was another problem with these covers. With the SBC covers on they were gonna hit the factory brake booster. The heater box just barely clears.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #6
Tork?

I had the same pcv and oil fill concerns when looking at the CFM adapters. I bought the Holley covers they're quality parts.
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #7
Bobbed72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork? View Post
I had the same pcv and oil fill concerns when looking at the CFM adapters. I bought the Holley covers they're quality parts.
The Holleys are nice. They were on my list. Eventually I decided I wanted to hide the coils. Nice covers kinda get spoiled when your coils look like ass. LOL!