The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
402Bowtie

Dash Cluster Bezel Question

Is it safe to say that if a dash cluster bezel has a GM part number stamped on the back side that it is an OEM part? In other words, has anyone seen a reproduction bezel with a GM number stamped in it?

I have a bezel with a GM number stamped in it but it has several differences compared to an original bezel:
-The inner face of the turn indicator holes are chromed. Every original I've seen has a black face in this area.
-The backside is completely chromed. Every original I've seen has a black backside.
-There are a few other very small differences too.

Do reproduction bezels with only two holes cut for wipers and lights (like the first pic) still have the template for cutting the other two holes (in the event you wanted 4 side-holes similar to what is shown in 2nd pic)? Mine has the templates for cutting the other two holes.

Appreciate any info!
Attached Images

402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Dash Cluster Bezel Question

It came from GM if it has a GM part number. Could be a re-plated original, as far as overall plating goes. Could be a prime example of GM Restoration Part, which people claim as N.O.S., that was made by the same reproduction manufacturer as the rest, as far as the molding differences go.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
jocko

I’m with Tim on the GM replacement part theory. Kinda like the GM replacement parts 69-70 grille shell that is indeed GM but has the different black line configuration by the turn signals. Still GM, just not identical to orig mfgr year.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It came from GM if it has a GM part number. Could be a re-plated original, as far as overall plating goes. Could be a prime example of GM Restoration Part, which people claim as N.O.S., that was made by the same reproduction manufacturer as the rest, as far as the molding differences go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I’m with Tim on the GM replacement part theory. Kinda like the GM replacement parts 69-70 grille shell that is indeed GM but has the different black line configuration by the turn signals. Still GM, just not identical to orig mfgr year.
Yeah that makes sense about a later run GM part.

I'm not finding any GM Restoration branded bezels online, so I think that idea is unlikely.

Thanks to both of you for the input.
402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

They didn't continue the program, so there will only be those being sold on the secondary market. Most likely all stock has since been sold-out by GM. People are now selling these parts as N.O.S.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-18-2019 at 09:27 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote