The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
_mg

Bolts and Nuts questions

I am rebuilding my first front axle assembly (as far as replacing axle u-joints), a 1986 donor for my 1964 truck.

I have read a ton of forum threads but there seems to be different opinions on replacement nuts. As a novice, I am looking for guidance regarding how to ensure I replace parts, especially nuts, studs and bolts, with the proper replacements.

I see the GM parts diagram calls for 9/16"-18 Prevailing Torq Nuts for the steering knuckle arm (in addition to the conical "adapters"). Is there any "class" or other information I need when looking for nut or stud replacements?

Also, the six spindle nuts are supposed to replaced upon installation. The parts diagram just calls for a nut, nothing specific. How do I know what type of replacement nut is required?

Thanks!
_mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
ryanroo

Re: Bolts and Nuts questions

You will want grade 8 nuts for the steering arm. the conical washers are already hard, so the part you order will be good. studs should be hard, grade 8, b7 or whatever else. i use ARP studs that have a higher tensile than regular gr8 stuff for those, but i would have no qualms using grade 8 if they are easy to get. the spindle nuts need an interference lock washer, called crimp nuts, stover nuts or deformed thread nuts. stover nuts are a one time application. once threaded completely on a stud they loose a lot of the tension the have. i have reused them, so has almost every guy who has pulled a spindle. but when you can order a hundred count for 10$ i say go for it. i have a bag for my truck and will probably never run out.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
_mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
You will want grade 8 nuts for the steering arm. the conical washers are already hard, so the part you order will be good. studs should be hard, grade 8, b7 or whatever else. i use ARP studs that have a higher tensile than regular gr8 stuff for those, but i would have no qualms using grade 8 if they are easy to get. the spindle nuts need an interference lock washer, called crimp nuts, stover nuts or deformed thread nuts. stover nuts are a one time application. once threaded completely on a stud they loose a lot of the tension the have. i have reused them, so has almost every guy who has pulled a spindle. but when you can order a hundred count for 10$ i say go for it. i have a bag for my truck and will probably never run out.
Is there a particular place you order from?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
ryanroo

i order almost all of my hardware from mcmaster carr. they have a lot of stuff and next day shipping is standard and cheap.

arps you could get from offroad design for the steering arm. that is who i go through you might find what you need on mcmaster.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
_mg

Awesome, thank you for the help!