The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
MILLER TIME

Hydroboost Reservoir

Looking into doing the hydro boost brake upgrade to my truck but trying to figure out if there is an aftermarket reservoir I can use that is better looking than the stock plastic '98 astro one I've looked at. If anyone knows of s stick replacement master cylinder that can use an aftermarket "fancier" reservoir any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
bigdog55

Re: Hydroboost Reservoir

I just put a hydro boost on mine from a 1982 one ton. I discovered that the reservoir line hook up is backwards from ours. For now i put my old one back on and seems to be working OK. I have seen some with the wildwood logo that seems to look OK.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

You can use the older style MC that is steel. Mine is on the 87 1 ton I took it off of
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
mike16

I found hydro boost reservoirs from vans are really nice. They are remote and look and function more like the reservoirs from the mid sixties BBC aplication. allows alot of location choices and because it can be mounted away from the engin, both the increased volume and the remote location keeps the fluid cooler and provides the volume to support the power steering and brakes and the accumulator. I see alot of them invans at local pic a part auto recyclers. 10 bucks. clean and rinse them out befor installing them or all the debris in them will curculate through your entire system. but you knew that,right.

be very careful NOT to use heater hose when selecting hose to rout lines to and from the reservoir. I know it seems like a no brainer but I made that very stoopit mistake. those heater hose lines sweat PS fluid and becom slimey and gooey and eventually desolve. mine swelled up and no matter how hard I tightened the hose clamps the hoses could be pulled of with very little effort. I could have lost brakes steering and started an under hood fire all at the same time. Not good. the proper hoses, hydraulic line quality cost about 6 bucks a foot. 6 to eight feet is plenty. the point is: dont go cheap on the hoses.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
knomadd

Are you asking about the master cylinder or the power steering reservoir?

If you're asking about the master cylinder, I have both a corvette style dual reservoir and a wilwood replacement on my GTO and my C10 (respectively). Both work just fine with they hydroboost setup.

If you're asking about the power steering reservoir, I have the factory style pump and reservoir on my GTO (original saginaw) and a Type II pump with plastic reservoir from the Vintage Air Front Runner setup on my C10. So I'm guessing any factory type power steering reservoir would work.

Good luck.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #6
MILLER TIME

Yeah I'm talking about the hydro boost master cylinder reservoir that site on the front top, and holds the fluid. Do you have any pics of yours?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:15 AM   #7
mike16

oh sorry, I thought he was talking about the fluid reservoir, not the master cylinder, please disregard
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote