The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
shok

Well got one finally

1966 with a 250/3spd.
The big picture I took the others are from his CL ad.
It appears everything he claimed is true, drives nice, recent alignment, new tires and wheels, new clutch, new carb, restored oil bath air cleaner(is that valuable?), nice alum valve cover. I have the headlights in a box, I'll go over the lights today which is all it needs to be road legal I think.
Attached Images

shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
CRGRS 66

Re: Well got one finally

Interested to see how you might get into it without door handles, and hope it doesn't rain Seriously though, truck looks really, really straight, and clean. Love the IL6!!!
Love the wheels too!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
schmittyjr

Looks good, nice and straight. let the fun begin
schmittyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
shok

Well i have handles for one door, but there is something up with those locks. If there is a more modern setup that goes right in I might go with that. Right now I'm concentrating on bolting the bed down and getting the headlights to work. I already have the taillights working now so thats a start.
In a little bit I'll drive it around the area some to get used to the column shift. I think LMC will be loving me in the coming days
Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Good for you, I’m glad you finally found what you wanted. Looks like a great truck that somebody put a lot of effort into it before it went down the road.

I don’t know how valuable an oil bath air cleaner might be, but they are highly desirable if you want one and don’t have it.

I think you’re pretty much stuck with the original door handles/locks/latching mechanisms unless you’re a skilled fabricator and want to add something like Bear Claw latches. The originals aren’t bad once you get use to them. Just note that locking the door from the inside actually locks the latch. Locking the door handle from the outside only locks the handle, preventing the button from being depressed. The latch remains unlocked. This can be an important distinction if you’re having problems and trying to debug the issue.

By the way, it’s easy to get in one of these trucks with the outside handles removed. Just stick your finger in the hole and push on the paddle the door handle button normally operates. The door will pop right open.

Before sending all your money to LMC, you might want to check the Review Board thread and check out opinions of other member’s experiences for the best place to buy parts:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=26
Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
shok

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the link. Yeh I should have been more detailed on the latch issue. It tore the metal around one bolt hole, probably because there was only one bolt on it at one time. I found other bolts that match nicely except for being hex headed and its in there good now, still need to weld up the tear tho. The one tore handle I have, which has no key hole, doesn't go far enough when I push the button to work the latch. I suspect tho this is a pass side handle. I need to align the door and stuff too, I think more than anything it will take time. I've been thru all this before, but in the VW world, first time I've had a domestic vehicle that is this old.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
shok

I guess I will continue this as a sort of build thread.
Right now I'm just scrambling to get it to where its a good around towner ASAP. So if some things look a little iffy its because I'm working with the money and time I have right now.
So I noticed gas dripping from the tank into the cab, it looks like the PO tried to seal it with bondo
I wanted a rearmount anyway so I did the fuel cell below, I still need better hardware and better lines. Right now its some rubber and metal line connecting to the stock line under the cab, but the ratio of metal to rubber is a little high if you know what I mean
At least the immediate prob is fixed and it will all be cleaned up shortly.

The other pic is the headlights, for now call the truck Crazy Eyed Larry, some of the hardware I need to mount the lights came in yesterday so I can work on that tomorrow too.

Finally no pics for this but I also got new door and window handles for the interior which should help make the rest of the interior look terrible, and a new ignition switch with bad English instructions.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
MikeS.

Nice truck and Welcome
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
joedoh

looks like a great start

you are going to wish you hadnt cut that bed crossmember, I barely cut mine to get at a rusted mounting bolt and after a couple miles that corner is already an inch and a half lower, and I barely cut the thing. you can see the cut section in this picture, the tailpipe is roughly pointing at it

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
shok

I did wonder about that, if I notice it starting to sag I think I know what I can do as an additional brace on each side OR I'll fix that brace and then relocate the fuel fill to a corner on the fuel cell.

When I got home from work I went and did a little work before the sun went down and installed a couple of the handles and the new ignition switch. Did the original switches let you pull the key out in the run position or is it because this s a cheap repro? Either way nice to have a real ignition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If you’re going to relocate the filler, might I suggest moving it to the driver side nearest the tailgate. The closer it is to the back the easier it is to reach with the nozzle. And having it on the driver side makes it easier to park the truck so the tank inlet is nearest the pump. This really helps at stations with restricted or short hoses. Also having the fuel inlet near the side allows you to load a bunch of stuff in the other side of the bed and still leave access to the tank should you have to stop for gas.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #12
shok

Yep good suggestion, I think the most convenient place to put it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You could remove the ignition key with the engine running even with the original iginition switches.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #14
shok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You could remove the ignition key with the engine running even with the original iginition switches.
Thanks for confirming that, I don't feel bad now. Maybe there was a good reason to do that back in the old days. I remember my father mentioning it was so cold in Canada they would just leave the car idling while going to the theatre to watch a movie. This was back in the 50s I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #15
losthope

Congrats ands welcome!

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by shok View Post
Thanks for confirming that, I don't feel bad now. Maybe there was a good reason to do that back in the old days. I remember my father mentioning it was so cold in Canada they would just leave the car idling while going to the theatre to watch a movie. This was back in the 50s I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Of course canada is a big place, but yes, in Winnipeg (or Winterpeg), it is sometimes that cold. I have heard of people leaving their cars running while at a Hockey game.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 06-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
shok

Yeah I don't know exactly where in Canada this was, he travelled a lot in his younger years working everywhere.

Well one headlight mounted one to go, I think I have the piece I need from the latest oreillys trip. Also mounted generic lap belts in the existing holes. Car smokes off and on, if it doesn't clear up then I might have to look into that further. Still drives pretty nice except for pulling to the right sometimes when I get on the brakes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
shok

Some progress pics.
The metal is badly scarred by the PO using an angle grinder to remove paint, so this is the path I'll take to a decent looking truck until I have more time and money with a bit of patience thrown in.
That's a Vespa mirror duct taped to the door, the real sideview mirror is on the way from LMC. The first time I used that green was on a piece from that same Vespa years ago, I thought it looked like an oldskool Chevy color back then and always remembered it, just needed the right project for the paint
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
CRGRS 66

looking good

Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
purzell

Love that green color. How did you apply it?
purzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
shok

Its just rattle can rustoleum moss green with a satin finish. It goes on pretty thick for a spray can. I really like the stuff, just need to see how it holds up to the elements.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
Bomp

What a find.!!?! Nice straight and rust free
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
shok

Oh it's got rust, but nothing major. I feel like a metal superhero for getting the side view mirror bolts that were rusted solid off using a drill, punches and other hand tool while still having usable threads left in the door for the new mirror.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
Ta2Don

Welcome to the board and keep up the good work...
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
dean jendro
Old and crusty

Nice truck. I'll be following your progress. Welcome!

64 Chevy Short Step LS
dean jendro is offline   Reply With Quote