The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Emily

Where do I start?

Hello!

I'm new here. I'm looking to restore a 64 chevy truck that belonged to my parents. Unfortunately it had been rusting and rotting away on their farm for the last 30+ years. It needs pretty much everything. Body work, new engine, tranny etc etc. I understand that when I'm finished there may only be one original part left on it. The trouble is that it has a TON of sentimental value.

I've always been a car enthusiast and I'm looking forward to this major long term project. Any advice, comments, questions etc would be appreciated.

The problem is I have no idea where to start. Could someone break it down to me what a logical order in restoration looks like?

Many thanks,

Emily
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
siggyfreud

Re: Where do I start?

I prefer to do powertrain and non-body upgrades first. Once you get that all nailed down then focus on body and paint. It's tough to do chassis and powertrain upgrades once the body and paint is done, as you're always at risk of damaging finished work. On the other hand, there is little you'll do to damage the powertrain and chassis in doing body and paint work.

I'd list out everything you want to do specifically, and then people here can help guide you on the logical order.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
chevyman95

That's like asking how to eat a Reese's. There's so many different options. It depends on what you want when you are finished and how much cash you have. I would start by making it road worthy and driving it for a while just because I hate to see trucks sitting apart in a million pieces. Others would tear it down for 8 years while they slowly and painstakingly piece it together. It's up to you really.
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
Vinceg

Hello Emily and welcome.
There is a ton of good information on here and some guys with amazing knowledge of these old truck. I'm working on a 66 c10. It is pushing 4 years now but it is coming along. What are your plans? Restore to original, resto mod or? Start by reading through a bunch of the rebuild threads they will get you going in the right direction. I hope you have space to work on it or store stuff. I made the mistake of getting rid of things before I should have. Take pictures and bag and tag stuff for later. Even if your going to get new fasteners its nice to have some old ones to Mach up the size. I stripped the truck to the frame. Cleaned up the frame and painted it. Covered it up and layed the cab back on it to start its repair. It was by far the hardest. Lots of drilling out spot welds, cutting, measuring, dry fitting and welding. Good luck with your project.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
Emily

In all honesty I want a badass truck. I want a v8. I want it to look amazing and be rebuilt the right way. I plan to keep it forever and drive it regularly. If I knew how to do it, well I'd do it myself. I don't really want to spend more than $20k. Any recommendations on people or places that will do the work? I'm located in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I'll upload pics. They are pretty cringe worthy...
Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
The Rocknrod

Well body work and paint can be your biggest costs. To put it in perspective I have paid as little as $6K for a paint job and as much as $24K and it's still not done at the paint shop.
You will be able to do just about everything you need to do if you have patience and dont mind putting on a pair of gloves and go to work. You'll need tools along the way. People here will be more than glad to help, knowledge wise.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
ls60apache

hello! do you have any pics of the truck so we can check out how much rust you will have to deal with esp the floors and rockers and the roof above the windshield..do you have a long bed or short? fleetside or step side? as others have stated getting the running works going first is best option,,but you don't want to be riding around in an unsafe rotted cab. good luck on your project.
ls60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum Emily

I would agree with getting it running and driving first. You will need to decide what engine and trans you want. You will also want to upgrade the brakes to at least power front disc brakes. Then power steering would also be nice.

I hate to be the guy to say it, but if you have to pay someone to do everything on your truck, there is no way you are going to get a nice truck for $20K. The body and paint alone will easily eat that up.

For a little perspective. I have a friend that co-owns a shop that builds custom cars and trucks. A couple years ago his shop built a '66 C10 for a local guy. It is a nice truck, but is by no means over the top nice. I believe the total cost ended up being $80K.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #9
oem4me

Hello, and welcome! Where to begin? I'd say start with a full assessment. BEFORE you put a bunch of money and effort into getting it upgraded with a new engine, trans, brakes, etc., look further down the line at what the body/sheet metal needs are going to be. No sense at all getting it running well if the body is toast. Not trying to be negative here, but if the body is totally rotten, perhaps retiring the family truck and finding a similar one in better shape to restore as a "tribute" would be a better choice. Pictures would help a lot on this issue.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #10
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
For a little perspective. I have a friend that co-owns a shop that builds custom cars and trucks. A couple years ago his shop built a '66 C10 for a local guy. It is a nice truck, but is by no means over the top nice. I believe the total cost ended up being $80K.
Yep, the last two cars I built costs $60K in parts alone.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #11
Emily

Well darn. Maybe I should just look for a boyfriend instead who will do the work lol.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
Anthony Fremont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Well darn. Maybe I should just look for a boyfriend instead who will do the work lol.
That's a good idea and you shouldn't have much trouble there.

I got the tired engine in mine running first, then I just started at the front and worked my way back fixing up the wiring and brakes. Look for deals on things. I bought a rebuilt short block for $200 from a reputable company that was going out of business. It's only a 305, but bored .030 over with flat tops made it well worth it. I swapped in a Summit 1102 cam before I ever started it. I bought some slightly reworked heads from another guy for $75 and used a lot of the parts off the worn out small block that was in it. I got the wheels and tires from CL for $100 delivered, and they'd never been on the road. It cost me more for good adapters to mate the metric wheels with the original axles and hubs. Made my bed rails for $20. In the end, I barely have $2K in it, but it's been reliable and really draws a lot of attention. The cam, long tube headers and glass packs really make it sound vicious. Naturally, the interior and paint are a mess, but I like the patina effect. Painting my truck is going to be the last thing I do because I know it will be expensive. Unless you're rich, this is going to be a very long process. If you do go the boyfriend route, I suggest you jump in with both feet and make getting your hands dirty a way of life.
'97 1200C Sportster
Anthony Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #13
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Ha! Yep, when scoping out potential dates, do what every girl does and seek out a bro with stained fingers and dirt under his nails. Lol!

Kidding aside, don't get discouraged. A budget restoration IS possible, but requires knowledge and skill, both of which are free to acquire. All it takes is time and interest.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

If you don't have the time, knowledge or space, it makes it difficult to take these projects on.
I agree with the other guys, spend your $ wisely, do the suspension/brakes, running and driving things so you can enjoy the truck and then make a new plan for the pretty stuff.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
cg285

buy a finished truck and switch the id plate. that will be the one original piece you referred to.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
Emily

Lol
Old 03-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
oliver63

Check this guy out...

http://www.nsanehotrodz.com/builds-by-nsane-hotrodz/
oliver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:10 AM   #18
'63GENIII

One of the biggest tools in your arsenal is going to be persistence. Determination and patience - right up there as well. Unless you're loaded, this may take a while so try to enjoy the process of keeping the family rig running.

Take on the smaller mechanical and safety projects and complete them one at a time. Even if its something as simple as getting a set of decent tires on it. Then brakes. Safety first. Be proud of your work and the knowledge you gain.

Get used to being dirty, greasy and sometimes frustrated but also start small and complete what you start. Step away when needed and when your done with a project. Take it in. Before and after. Its all too easy and common to blow a truck completely apart in a couple of days and make it un drivable. Driving it is the reward and you must reward yourself along the way to keep motivated.

There is nothing worse than walking past your sentimental dream sitting in an overwhelming pile of parts in the driveway while on your way to your busy day. At this point, most give up and either sell the dream or let it rot. Both options suck.

Keep asking questions. Many here are troubleshooting wizards. Maybe the engine and trans just need servicing or a tune up and not a full replacement. There's little better news than finding that a tune up was needed when you think that a new engine needs to be built / bought. There's a wealth of knowledge, advice, parts and just plain old common sense here. Bunch of ornery old bats too but we still try and help. LOL

Be ready for your neighbors to think your nuts. Be ready for your closest friends to KNOW you've lost your mind. Don't worry, they both usually come around. After all, it's a bit of an acquired sickness we have.

Driving something that you resurrected with your own hands will give you the confidence to tackle the shiny stuff. The thumbs up you'll get every time you drive it will help with the motivation.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:14 AM   #19
'63GENIII

and one more thing... We are nosy as hell! We need pics..lots of 'em!.... of the truck that is!

Welcome to the forum!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:41 AM   #20
Emily

Should get pics today. When I abandoned the project last time I deleted them all.

It has powersteering and the power glide and is a fleetside. My mom listed off the things it needs...

Engine + transmission (apparently dad sold the original one out of it)
Gas tank
Rewired
Oak bed
Body repair
new hood since the current one is rusted

My uncle said to buy a paired transmission and engine.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #21
PGSigns

The place to start is a good evaluation of what you have and vision of what you want it to be. Then comes what you realistically can spend on it. The comes the plan based on both the first two. At this point you may find that the budget and plan are not on the same planet. There are some folks here from Texas and with you being in the DFW area you may be able to get some help with a good going over of the truck and the plan to fix it. Trouble with projects like this is they can spiral out of control if the plan changes. I have been guilty of this more than once in the more than 40 years I have been building cars. So take your time, do a lot of reading here and ask away to get the answers you need. Don't be afraid to jump in and get your hands dirty. It can be rewarding in the end knowing that it is your work that made your truck.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #22
Victweezy

Patina is were it is at. Paint and body work is for old retired guys with to much time and money. As long as there isn't a major safety issue, just weld up the bigger holes, and go.

Buy a crate 350 or 383 small block, a rebuilt 700r4 and a drive shaft then drive the thing. Shouldn't cost more than 7 or 8 grand for a really good set up, then do the little things like brakes and suspension. It's easier to stay active on a drivable project.

After it's on the road and smoking tires is the only time to start worrying about minor details like cosmetic rust repairs.

O and of course you need to do it yourself, otherwise what is the point? Start hanging around some local car meet ups and cruise ins and you will find plenty of friends willing to come around and turn a wrench, lend a welder for the weekend, or stuff and engine.

Last edited by Victweezy; 03-29-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Victweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:21 PM   #23
Emily

Brace yourselves
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #24
Emily

More
Attached Images