The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
RPBurris

Brothers aluminum radiators on sale-Reviews??

Just got an email and decided to look at their radiators. Pretty much half off. A 3 row aluminum radiator for $249. That's just a little more than a stock replacement. Any reviews on their radiators? I searched the forum and didnt see anything recent. Please just tell me about your experience with their radiators. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #2
Rufas

Re: Brothers aluminum radiators on sale-Reviews??

Thanks for the heads up. I just might get the 4 core for $299.

1967-72 CHEVY/GMC TRUCK ALUMINUM RADIATOR - AUTO - V8 - 4 ROW
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #3
rsavage

I always buy stock 4 core copper brass radiators for my restortions. Unless it's a modified truck, an aluminum radiator doesn't look right. They are around $400 usually, but they fit the stock radiator hold downs and look factory. If you just drive it and don't care about it looking correct, then an aluminum could save you a few bucks.I would wait for responses from folks who have used these aluminum radiators to see how the cradles and hold downs worked out, and you should find out if it is a welded aluminum rad or expoxied together as a lot of cheap ones are made.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
RPBurris

Per the Brothers website below fully welded seams with no epoxy.

BROTHERS All-Aluminum Radiators are manufactured to a high standard of quality and workmanship. Each radiator is constructed using aircraft-quality aluminum with 100% welded seams with a billet fill neck (cap included). NO EPOXY! Cooling rows are spaced 3/8" apart with appoximately 14-16 cooling fins per inch. Automatic trans cooler standard with all applications and brass petcock included. Radiators come with a lifetime limited warranty and are made to install with little or no modifications depending on your specific application and setup.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
toolboxchev

With no epoxy, I would give it a try if in the market. My Brass and Copper is all good.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
Jrainman

I dont know of any rad company that uses epoxy to replaces the welds on aluminium radiators some companys as some OEM aluminum radiators , put a special epoxy coating on the tubes over the welds for added stability to the welds because there are a lot of parts that make up a radiator and when all these parts are all welded together the radiator becomes very rigid and the epoxy helps in the stability, usualy the epoxy is used where the tubes meet the tanks over the welded area

The use of epoxy was somthing that ford started doing in there heavy duty truck division ,apparently they were having issues with aluminium radiator leaks on there 18 wheeler tractors and after they stated with adding epoxy they had testing of tractors with over a Millon miles with out radiator weld failures.

I think there is a misconception of the actual use of epoxy in aluminum radiators , when looking for a radiator always look for a radiator with less
welds , like for instance tanks that are stamped instead of multiple pieces welded together. Less welds equals less chance of leaks .
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
TwoFiftyShifter

That is a fair bit more than the 3 core AL radiator I put on my 71. It might be nicer quality though.