The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
Pampas56

Dash lights

Now that the truck is running, I have discovered that the dash lights are not working. It seems that they have become the ground path for everything in the instrument cluster.

My BIL told me that it is a common problem with these trucks and I remember reading about this in past posts. I tried to search for the posts, but can't seem to find them.

I know I need to re-establish a ground path. BIL says to intercept the existing ground and carry it to a known good ground.

How do I do this? Do I cut into the wiring harness or is there a point in the cluster itself that I bond to, creating a solid ground?

I know that it is limited to the instrument cluster. The HVAC control lights up and dims as it should.

Any help or paths to the pertinent posts will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Steve

1998 Dakota EC 250K miles- I guess I'm just a truck guy now!
Pampas56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
Mr_Rich

Re: Dash lights

If this problem is on your '89 then it could be an open on the circuit board on back of the gauge cluster. It could be a matter of just detecting and re-soldering one of the circuits on the board. Newer trucks have this plastic circuit collection that clips on the back of the cluster; much different than the earlier trucks. I kind of learned this the hard way because I thought I could use a newer cluster in my '89 and they aren't compatible. Totally different plug design.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C

Last edited by Mr_Rich; 02-09-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote