The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #26
Its ShowTime!!

Re: where can i get some 24" lift springs?/

Here's a question? Should i buy a 74-87 frame instead of doing a straight axle swap on a 88 frame? I've never done one and have no clue how? Any suggestions? I'm going to buy a frame tomorrow so??
Posted via Mobile Device
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~Bible, John 15:13

"All men are created equal, then a few become firemen."

!?!?!Go Big Or Go Home!?!?!
Its ShowTime!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
modblacksmith

Id keep the 88 frame, then you don't have to move the body mounts around to make the older one fit. The rear is the easy part, shackle flip and longer shackles. As for the front research the conversion brackets from different company's and build your own, that is how I did my shackle flips and the front 52" spring conversion on my truck. Your friend with the cnc will greatly help on this, I have hours of cutting with a plaz and grinding on my stuff hahaha. I'm doing a strait axle conversion on my roommates 98 1500 and he bought the kit from Sky's Off Road, it nets you four more inches with just the kit.
So here's my thoughts
Front=
12" springs
4" sky's kit
1" zero rate block
= 17"

Rear=
4" shackle flip
2" longer shackles
12" springs
=18"

If its still not enough add a 3" body and you'll have 20/21" of lift.

72 K/20 soon to be C/10, 454, Th400, 9” rear.
01 GMC 2500HD 8.1, Allison, daily/towpig gas guzzler.
78 Bahner 19’ jet boat, 460 Furd turd.
modblacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
Its ShowTime!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modblacksmith View Post
Id keep the 88 frame, then you don't have to move the body mounts around to make the older one fit. The rear is the easy part, shackle flip and longer shackles. As for the front research the conversion brackets from different company's and build your own, that is how I did my shackle flips and the front 52" spring conversion on my truck. Your friend with the cnc will greatly help on this, I have hours of cutting with a plaz and grinding on my stuff hahaha. I'm doing a strait axle conversion on my roommates 98 1500 and he bought the kit from Sky's Off Road, it nets you four more inches with just the kit.
So here's my thoughts
Front=
12" springs
4" sky's kit
1" zero rate block
= 17"

Rear=
4" shackle flip
2" longer shackles
12" springs
=18"

If its still not enough add a 3" body and you'll have 20/21" of lift.
Well I just got back from pull a part (a do it yourself junk yard) and got a 88-98 frame! I had to strip the truck completely it was a job with that IFS! And being lone didn't help any but I did it so tomorrow I plan to do a lil sand blasting and painting on the frame. But I found a swap kit online for 690 and I'm gonna go with your theory. It might ride a lil smoother (HAHA) thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated. I've never done one this big!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~Bible, John 15:13

Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
modblacksmith

Glad I could help, Ill be watching. I eventually want to run the 47" Goodyear military's on the 85 k30 I'm buying in the next few weeks but a new paint job for my 72 needs to come first. What kit did you pick up?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #30
Its ShowTime!!

Yea that would look awesome lol that's for sure different! I like the 47's but I want the biggest street legal truck around my parts lol. But I just got a 88-99 frame. It was a 2 wheel drive truck but it don't matter! I'm gonna do a lil sanding and painting tomorrow if all goes as planned. My bed is welded to the frame! So I gotta brake it loose I'm working on that now wish me luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #31
Its ShowTime!!

Quote:
Glad I could help, Ill be watching. I eventually want to run the 47" Goodyear military's on the 85 k30 I'm buying in the next few weeks but a new paint job for my 72 needs to come first. What kit did you pick up?
do you know what i would have to do to get a newer model dash in there? like a 94 up dash??

Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #32
modblacksmith

I haven't done one personaly but I've heard its quite a project to do. You have to take the dash brackets out of a newer truck and reweld them into your truck. From the stories I've heard it easyer to just change cabs.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #33
Its ShowTime!!

Quote:
I haven't done one personaly but I've heard its quite a project to do. You have to take the dash brackets out of a newer truck and reweld them into your truck. From the stories I've heard it easyer to just change cabs.
yea thats what i was worried about. hell i should have just bought a whole other truck instead of buying a frame lol but i guess that wouldnt b as fun lol!!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #34
modblacksmith

Thats what its all about bud, I'm on my third time of redoing the suspention on my 72 and sometimes I wonder why I didnt just buy a eight inch kit and be done with it but then I wouldn't have the learning experiences and the fun of making it exactly what I want.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #35
Its ShowTime!!

Quote:
Thats what its all about bud, I'm on my third time of redoing the suspention on my 72 and sometimes I wonder why I didnt just buy a eight inch kit and be done with it but then I wouldn't have the learning experiences and the fun of making it exactly what I want.
yea i kno thats what we was talking about saturday night! its all about being at the shows and telling what you did not what you bought!! yea you can go buy what ever you want but its not YOUR creation! im in it for the pride of doing it.. i dont care if it takes 6 years to finish ill just respect it that much more man!! itll get there and will be exactly how i dream!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #36
Its ShowTime!!

Talking Re: where can i get some 24" lift springs?/

Quote:
what rear end and front end should i run??

Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #37
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its ShowTime!! View Post
what rear end and front end should i run??
With the size tires you are talking about? Rockwell 2.5s are pretty much the minimum. Those 52s are way heavy and can break 1 tons like 14 bolts, D70, D60s etc like toothpicks.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #38
Its ShowTime!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
With the size tires you are talking about? Rockwell 2.5s are pretty much the minimum. Those 52s are way heavy and can break 1 tons like 14 bolts, D70, D60s etc like toothpicks.
what about 49's i dont wanna do rockwells right now?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #39
modblacksmith

Were your rig is going to be a show only rig you could get away with smaller axles. I've seen guys running a dana 44 and corp 14 bolt with 52's on the street but I dont recomend it. My friend ran a D60 and a c14 with 5.13s under his truck with 52s and he didnt have any problems with it, he wasn't easy on them by any means with over 500hp and a heavy foot but he didnt go crawlin with it either. I'd look for a set of one tons, if your going to try and sick with your stock t case look for a ford high pinion dana 60, there more expencive though.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #40
Its ShowTime!!

Quote:
Were your rig is going to be a show only rig you could get away with smaller axles. I've seen guys running a dana 44 and corp 14 bolt with 52's on the street but I dont recomend it. My friend ran a D60 and a c14 with 5.13s under his truck with 52s and he didnt have any problems with it, he wasn't easy on them by any means with over 500hp and a heavy foot but he didnt go crawlin with it either. I'd look for a set of one tons, if your going to try and sick with your stock t case look for a ford high pinion dana 60, there more expencive though.
Thanks man! Im glad you found my thread! You have been a huge help! I'm gonna be looking very soon for a Dana 60 & c14!! I'm ready to get the running gears under my new frame!! Start showing some real progress thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #41
68burbanontherocks

Hey man sorry i just cought wind of your qustion. Comming from experience you dont wanna run a 24" leafspring. First of all they look like mcdonalds arches and more importantly they are soo dang stiff you need to run a link setup/panhard bar. On my 68 Suburban (pic) ive got 25" leafs on it and it was a horrible ride! Really stiff and unstable yadda yadda yadda, granite i have a 540 bbc in it its just not safe, depending on your financial situation id look into coils or like others are saying go with a shackle flip and if you have to recessed hangers. (offroaddesign.com) But if your looking for big leaf springs go to customsuspension.com Here ill make it easy for ya! http://www.customsuspension.com/stor....php?cPath=449

In regards to running 52" michelins, there friggen heavy! and will destroy anything less than 2 1/2 tons if you plan on mashing on the peddal or doing any crawling/mudding. Also keep in mind they are initially on big heavy military trucks so if your looking to crawl with them the sidewalls are wayyy to thick to flex at all on your rig. Just my 2 cents though, hope this helps...

(My Build thread with the leafs)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510400
Attached Images

68burbanontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #42
Its ShowTime!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68burbanontherocks View Post
Hey man sorry i just cought wind of your qustion. Comming from experience you dont wanna run a 24" leafspring. First of all they look like mcdonalds arches and more importantly they are soo dang stiff you need to run a link setup/panhard bar. On my 68 Suburban (pic) ive got 25" leafs on it and it was a horrible ride! Really stiff and unstable yadda yadda yadda, granite i have a 540 bbc in it its just not safe, depending on your financial situation id look into coils or like others are saying go with a shackle flip and if you have to recessed hangers. (offroaddesign.com) But if your looking for big leaf springs go to customsuspension.com Here ill make it easy for ya! http://www.customsuspension.com/stor....php?cPath=449

In regards to running 52" michelins, there friggen heavy! and will destroy anything less than 2 1/2 tons if you plan on mashing on the peddal or doing any crawling/mudding. Also keep in mind they are initially on big heavy military trucks so if your looking to crawl with them the sidewalls are wayyy to thick to flex at all on your rig. Just my 2 cents though, hope this helps...

(My Build thread with the leafs)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510400
man that thing is SICK!!! and i bthink im gonna go down a lil in tires for now? i dont wanna run 2.5 tons rightt now. but as for the my build it wont see off road other then my drive way.. i have a play toy for the mud and stufff.. this isi just gonna be a car show cruizer thats it? and for the 24" springs im gonna listen to all yall. i want it to ride decent ( i kno its still gonna be ruff) but i want to be able to enjoy the ride!!! so im just gonna do a flip and if need be get a body lift!! thanks for all yalls advice and watch my build if weather permits i will be pulling the motor/trans this sunday and finishing up my frame so i can start swapping over my suspension!! again thank yall for all the advice yall are a HUGE help!!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #43
mrdana60
Account Suspended

what size tires you wanna run ? i can hook you up with some rocks i ll drop the price to 900 if you want them. or i might can get you some one tons. but they gonna run about the same unless you find a deal like a did for my 72 truck i m building.
mrdana60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #44
Its ShowTime!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdana60 View Post
what size tires you wanna run ? i can hook you up with some rocks i ll drop the price to 900 if you want them. or i might can get you some one tons. but they gonna run about the same unless you find a deal like a did for my 72 truck i m building.
if youll drop the price to 900 ill take them!!! i gotta sell a few things but i definetly want them!!! i got the motor going this weekend for 400 and the axles should be leaving this weekend also! if i get rocks ill run 52's if i get 1 tons ill run 46's or 49's

Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #45
mrdana60
Account Suspended

would also take partical trades. looking for 44 tsl or boggers for 15 inch wheel and 12 inch lift springs for a 73 up chevy.
mrdana60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #46
Its ShowTime!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdana60 View Post
would also take partical trades. looking for 44 tsl or boggers for 15 inch wheel and 12 inch lift springs for a 73 up chevy.
ive got 15 inch wheels that were on the truck and the springs i have are 12" springs i believe.. i could run 44s with out the fenders being shave..
never mind re read the post you want boggers for 15" rims. my bad lol