The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2023, 03:08 PM   #1
RostaRob

58 Apache headliner gasket

Trying this again because I don’t think my first attempt went through. Anyway, I’ve seen videos and posts about the difficulty of installing the software headliner but mine seemed to go in pretty easy. I do however have some minor gaps at the corners and I’m wondering if this is pretty normal? TIA, Rob
Attached Images

RostaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 07:38 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: 58 Apache headliner gasket

Gaps? Looks great ��

I'm one of those who couldn't get the gasket in. Granted I glued foam and fabric up there, but no way that gasket was going in.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 10:28 PM   #3
dsraven

yeah, looks awesome. go with it and if anybody looks up and says anything just stop the truck. get out and open their door and ask if they need to call an uber of if they just wanna walk back. haha.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 01:26 PM   #4
_Ogre

i ruined a gasket before trying this and could barely get door edge molding in there.

every truck made in that era is different, the stamping dies wore out quick and made parts different sizes with different edges and radiuses
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 02:13 PM   #5
RostaRob

That looks good. Mine wasn’t hard to install because I used Velcro on the liner and made a small strategic cut along the rolled bead of the gasket (I experimented with a few small pieces before I made the Final Cut). The gasket went in tight with the aid of soapy water and it bites into the headliner well. I had seen the videos and complaints about these so I thought I’d risk the $25 or so that the gasket cost and see how the results were. I’m happy but I thought maybe the corners had a bit of a gap because of my process. If you all are saying it’s not bad I’ll run with that. Rob
RostaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:23 AM   #6
dsraven

I say go with it. don't sweat the small stuff. unless it is a show quality truck where they inspect every nut and bolt. otherwise you have some body work to do. prolly past that. so, go with it as it is. you will be the only one who notices.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:17 AM   #7
Hcb3200

For guys reading that are looking for tricks to install.
Don't laugh read this on another site and it worked like a charm.
The issue is its tight and a lot of rubber on semi smooth surfaces trying to go in.
Well this other site the guy used KY JELLY. multiple reasons.
Water based. Clear liquid. Easy clean up and most importantly (to some) does not stain.

After fighting for days getting one lined up. I used this trick on a section at a time and just with a few taps it popped right in and I moved on to next one.
It was like the rope trick when installing the wind shield gasket. I was impressed how easy it was. I have use the jelly on a few other hose installs and grommets when it was just not going like it should.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:19 AM   #8
Hcb3200

RostaRob leave the truck out in the sun and let that roof and gasket get hot. Then you can manipulate the corners more. low heat on the heat gun as well. softens the rubber. Some guys will lay the gaskets in the sun and let it warm up get soft before installing. Ovens for dead of winter installations etc.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote