The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2018, 10:04 PM   #1
72c20customcamper

Bought a new Ruger

Just a 177 break barrel pellet gun . But I have to say it's a very efficient small game gun . 1200 fps with alloy pellets. Have a problem with squirrels lately since the hawks have moved on . Scope is actually very good to about 50 yards.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Red71gmc

Re: Bought a new Ruger

Squirrel gravy! Unless that is a piney squirrel.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
truckster

Ruger makes some fine guns. I have a couple of them, and they're very reliable.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Cool pellet gun, but I would think that if there were squirrels around, the hawks would not have moved away from a food source.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:10 AM   #5
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red71gmc View Post
YES! dropped a thousand of them with a Ruger 10/22 I had growing up.. good mess of squirrel is the next best thing to rabbit in the woods I grew up in.. had a hickory grove on the farm, squirrel's favorite food

just bought my first air rifle last trip back home.. had firearms in my room as a kid but folks never let me have an air rifle, they thought they were too easily perceived as toys and more dangerous..

so at closing in on 50, I bought a benjamin at bass pro in independence.. 1100-1200 fps or so, very similar to yours.. WoW is all I can say, that thing is awesome! never had any idea of the power of them.. it came with a little 4x scope, dragunov stock, and it is seriously accurate to boot.. don't remember the model, I left it there but it was about $200 on sale..

as far as Ruger goes, I love them! got about a dozen older rifles, pistols, and revolvers that all run great..

looks like yours is working good!
Old 12-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Cool pellet gun, but I would think that if there were squirrels around, the hawks would not have moved away from a food source.
Well they do tend to hunt here them move on to another area after a while . They'll be back in spring when there are literally 100s of rabbits running around.
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red71gmc View Post
It's a red thats been hitting the bird feeder, very aggressive little bugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
YES! dropped a thousand of them with a Ruger 10/22 I had growing up.. good mess of squirrel is the next best thing to rabbit in the woods I grew up in.. had a hickory grove on the farm, squirrel's favorite food

just bought my first air rifle last trip back home.. had firearms in my room as a kid but folks never let me have an air rifle, they thought they were too easily perceived as toys and more dangerous..

so at closing in on 50, I bought a benjamin at bass pro in independence.. 1100-1200 fps or so, very similar to yours.. WoW is all I can say, that thing is awesome! never had any idea of the power of them.. it came with a little 4x scope, dragunov stock, and it is seriously accurate to boot.. don't remember the model, I left it there but it was about $200 on sale..

as far as Ruger goes, I love them! got about a dozen older rifles, pistols, and revolvers that all run great..

looks like yours is working good!
I have a Benjamin/Sheridan air rifle that's I've had for years but the rear sight broke so I need a scope. The one that takes 10 pumps for a good shot. I couldn't go wrong with this gun it was under 100$ black Friday deal. So much nicer than dragging out the 410 to dispatch a rodent . Deer season here now so the 30 06 is always around . And my SS Colt python is always ready.

This is an interesting gun . My uncle brought it back from Germany in 45. It's a .177 air rifle that was used for drill training and target shooting for the Hitler youth corps . The future SS troops. Gun still works great but not very powerful. Basically a K98 mauser replica.
He also gave a me a Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet. It stainless steel and sterling silver for the handle body. These were used by SS officers. I've had both appraised and added to my homeowner's insurance.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I have the same Ruger .177. Good little pest removal tool. The recoil surprised me at first.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
Coley

So up here in Canada...our gun laws are different than in the U.S....as is widely known, lol

Up here any pellet/air gun that is under 500 fps is regarded as not being a firearm ....so no license, etc....you just have to be 18 to buy it and you can plink away in your yard all you want.

If it is over 500 fps then they deem it a firearm and you need to have your firearms certificate/license.

So how does that work or compare in the U.S?

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
So up here in Canada...our gun laws are different than in the U.S....as is widely known, lol

Up here any pellet/air gun that is under 500 fps is regarded as not being a firearm ....so no license, etc....you just have to be 18 to buy it and you can plink away in your yard all you want.

If it is over 500 fps then they deem it a firearm and you need to have your firearms certificate/license.

All good
Coley
No license needed for any air rifle. Just need to be of age which I believe is 18 to purchase. No license for cartridge rifles either . Just a background check. Handguns you need a permit for. In NY you have to have a pistol permit to buy handgun ammo. Unless you have a rifle that uses the same ammo. Like the Thompson 45 acp.
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
truckster

Quote:

All good
Coley
Laws vary by state, and in some cases by locality. There is no federal requirement for registration or certificates for firearms. In my state (Utah) you can buy a firearm at 18, no certificate or registration required. You do need to pass a federal background check to purchase any firearm.

In my city any air rifle is considered a firearm and restricted from discharge within city limits.

The Saturday after Thanksgiving my twins (18 yrs old) and I went to the local sporting goods store and walked out with 3 shotguns, 2 rifles, and a pistol. Since I have a concealed carry permit, the entire transaction only took minutes.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
leddzepp

Here’s my lil’ gopher gitter, haven’t missed one yet! It’s a Winchester, and very accurate. My oldest boy removed the scope and used it for practicing at home before taking the test with a .22 down at the range for his Boy Scouts rifle merit badge
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #13
leddzepp

Oldest boy (12) with a .22 down at the range two weekends ago. The NRA sponsors a youth shoot once a month in coordination with the local sportsman club. Rugers, ammo, safety glasse, ear protection, etc are all provided free of charge.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:19 PM   #14
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:

All good
Coley
Here in SD you only do background check for FIREarms. No license needed unless you want to carry concealed. And that 5 year permit cost $10 and took 5 days to get.

Air guns are wide open to those above 18.

Muzzle loaders are treated the same as air guns. Walk in, plop down money and walk out.

I have 3 AR's with no serial numbers. I bought 80% lower receivers and finished the machining. It's perfectly legal, only catch is I'm the only person who can own them. One is 223/5.56, another is 6.8SPC and the other is 50 Boewulf.

As for squirrels and rabbits, I dispatch them frequently. My go-to is my Savage MarkIIf 22lr rifle with CCI Quiets. At 710fps it makes less noise than a pellet rifle. I can hit the face of a 12G shell at 40 yards all day long with it. Many, many squirrels have been convinced to stay away from bird feeders. Head shots work best at 25 yards.

Those PCP air rifles can be extremely hard on a scope. Special scopes that hold up well are not cheap
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote